View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Dave, do you remember where you bought these things? I realize that your Trailer might be in storage, so I'm not going to be if your answer is "not sure, and can't look..."
Sorry, I just saw this thread with your questions. Yes, I bought them from Command Electronics. All the details are in this post:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...mand#post78605

Quote:
Bravo, it is 12V! At 60W, I'm not sure that I want to go through a cigarette adapter - but there are many other kinds of plug/socket pairs which could hold together tighter, and provide higher current capacity too. (IIRC, TM's own cigarette lighter sockets are fused pretty low, at either 3 or 5 Amps each.)
Actually, the cigarette lighter socket in my TM is rated for 7 amps, which is 96 watts at 12VDC. So that would be plenty for the CPAP. The CPAP our guest used was also about 60 watts, and we used it for several nights powered in that socket with no ill effects (via an inverter, actually).

Quote:
They also aren't very well tuned for accepting the fast, high-current solar charging process: In the Trojan lineup, the 24-AGM would be the correct battery for deep-cycle solar, and that Product lies in a nearly identical (and much less attractive) "Ah per dollar" as my Concorde choice. (The 1040T is about 20% "more" battery, in weight and capacity, at about 20% more cost.) them. It's about taking in the high charge current without overheating - not about "maintenance free".
Where have you read that Trojans (the T-105s and the like) aren't well tuned for being charged by solar setups? Most battery literature I have read, including the windsun.com site and Trojan's site, say deep-cycle batteries should be charged at no more than the C8 rate (or sometimes the higher C10 rate). At the C8 rate, a 2-cell T-105 bank can be charged at 26 amps. Is your solar array putting out more than that? Looks like the setup you just described above is only ~12A (153W).

Quote:
Great post, you nailed it on the 12V CPAP. But I have another big consumer, which I didn't mention: The fridge.
Ah yes, can't help you there. And I too hate frozen beer. Had a whole case explode on me when I left some out in Utah in January overnight a few years ago. Bad scene. Maybe use a cooler?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote