PDA

View Full Version : TM crash (part I)

kempert
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
This happened on April 1st AND is NOT an April Fools joke (I WISH IT WAS).
I left VA and had dry pavement all the way to CO. Just after topping Vail Summit, I noticed snow swirling on the pavement. I planned to take the next exit to try to find out what was ahead but ended getting there on a bus (with 30+ other people). Within a mile there was slush on the road and then all of I-70 was white with what turned out to be snow & ice. Everyone slowed down a great deal with no one passing anybody. As I rounded a turn at milepost 186 my butt really puckered as I saw that the westbound lanes were filled with vehicles (including 18 wheelers) stopped at all kinds of angles. Being about 50 yards from the nearest vehicle, I thought I had plenty of room. I hit the brakes and the ABS began to let me know I was in trouble. I was just along for the ride for the rest of the way. I bounced off the right rear of a car and spun around, hit another car, and came to rest in the right lane facing east with the TM right behind me (it did not jack knife). I then got to watch ( since I was going under 35 mph, the airbags didn't activate) about 30 more vehicles slide around with many bouncing off others. A tanker slid into the right embankment and was then hit by another 18 wheeler thereby blocking my view of any further collisions. I was a little sore for 2 days so I was real lucky. TO BE CONT.

kempert
04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
After everything had stopped moving, I got out of the Tundra to see if anybody needed help. There were lots of damaged vehicles with only 7-8 people needing medical assistance. BTW – The two most serious injuries happened downhill when people who had crashed earlier got out of their cars while incoming cars were still coming. When I finally got to look at my Tundra, I knew that I’d lost a good friend after 113,000 miles. The front end was pushed in with the front wheels no longer parallel. The whole driver’s side was crushed in (I was able to push the door open) and the rear wheels were not parallel with the frame. My brand new transmission fluid drained into the snow/ice. The engine ran as smooth as could be for the next 4 hours until they towed it. It was hard to see what damage the TM had suffered because of the hard driving snow. The driver’s side had some dents on the side of the top shell, as did the back shell. While towing it, the mounting bolts for the front jack were broken and there is a small hole that has been punched into the top shell near center (almost on the top). At the tow yard, it opened as normal. The only damage that I could find inside was that the front bathroom wall flopped around. They had parked it an 1” too close to a wall for me to get the back bed back all the way. I got the feeling that the insurance company wanted to junk it but I told them that I was not concerned about any cosmetic damage. If I could get the hole sealed, the jack fixed, and the bathroom wall fixed, I’d be happy. I’m sure it will need to be re-caulked especially near the dent in the front corner. More to come.

Wavery
04-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Glad you weren't badly hurt. Your air bags should have deployed though.......

The insurance company is liable to make you "Whole" on your TM. If the shells are damaged, it will no doubt be a total loss. You will need to determine fair market value. Print out comparable:
http://rvs.oodle.com/trailmanor/

They may allow you to keep the trailer so that they don't have to pay to dispose of it. They will probably ask you for the title when they give you the pay-off (probably ~$11K for the TM minus your deductable), then they should give you a "Salvage Title" (depending on what State you are in).

ShrimpBurrito
04-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Wow, kempert, that's very exciting. Too exciting, in fact. Glad to hear you weren't injured or it wasn't even more serious.

Dave

OneMoBear
04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Wow. I say this only as a warning to anyone else who might be heading this way. We have made the trip between the southwest and the Denver area dozens of times. There are many ways to make it happen but the main ways are south on I-25 to Albuquerque and then west :boring: or west to Moab on I-70 and then south :) or the reverse. We check weather.gov and Colorado/New Mexico road conditions for days before we leave and especially the morning of departure to decide which way we are going to go. Either way you have to go over either Vail Pass or Raton Pass. I-70 between Denver and Glenwood Springs is absolutely gorgeous but if there is ANY chance of snow at the passes we go the other way or just wait. The slightest chance of snow on those passes can turn into a story like this in the blink of an eye. I wouldn't head west on I-70 on the 4th of July without checking the forecast for Vail. Seriously.

I'm very glad that in your case, it was only things that were damaged.

Malinda

brulaz
04-08-2010, 07:34 AM
It's incredible that the trailer didn't jack knife under those conditions. I guess you had your trailer brake controller set just right. What brand is it? Always wondered how ABS brakes on the TV would work with the trailer brakes.

kempert
04-08-2010, 08:44 AM
On the morning of the wreck, I checked CDOT's website and it said that all of I-70 was dry. A State Trooper and a Vail Fire Dept. Asst. Chief both told me that the sudden change in road conditions caught everyone off guard. The State Trooper in charge of the crash scene said that he couldn't see how anyone could be cited since he'd seen no evidence of anyone doing anything to cause it. He made a comment to the effect that Mother Nature had slipped us a big surprise.

I have no idea how the TM brakes functioned. All I know is that the Tundra's ABS was doing it's thing. I could feel and hear it trying to get traction. After my 2 collisions, I looked in the rear view mirror & the TM was right behind me as if nothing had happened. I have already contacted a local shop and have made arrangements to have another Tekoncha Prodigy installed in my truck when I finally get word from my insurance company that the Tundra is totaled.

brulaz
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
After my 2 collisions, I looked in the rear view mirror & the TM was right behind me as if nothing had happened.

Amazing.

Wavery
04-08-2010, 12:10 PM
when I finally get word from my insurance company that the Tundra is totaled.

My bet is that the TM is totaled too. Other members here have tried to have their shells repaired or replaced. TM has recommended replacement only. The cost of the shells plus labor will exceed that value of the trailer.

The insurance company may try to get you take take a low settlement offer on the TM because of it's age. Don't let them get away with that. They MUST make you "Whole" (unless stated otherwise in your policy). If you present them with comparable market value advertisements, they must consider them. Chances are, if you do that, they will pay the average of three similar adds because they know that you've done your homework and won't be bullied. If you let them, they will give you a check for a few hundred dollars. All they care about is that you sign a release for the least amount that they can get away with.

It may not seem like a big deal now but it will be a big deal when you try to sell the TM.

grakin
04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
It's incredible that the trailer didn't jack knife under those conditions. I guess you had your trailer brake controller set just right. What brand is it? Always wondered how ABS brakes on the TV would work with the trailer brakes.

When I spun on ice, the trailer and truck stayed perfectly in-line with each other. But I think a huge contributing factor was that the TM's brakes locked up on the ice - that the brake controller was way too aggressive on ice. I think I would have been better off if my TM was unplugged from the truck and had no brakes.

My advice for anyone is: DON'T TOW THE TM ON ICE! It is amazing how quick things happen (and how quickly dry pavement can turn dangerously icy). I've always lived near the mountains, and I'm used to ice and snow - but towing in it is quite a different issue. I have a lot of respect for ranchers with horse trailers who manage to stay on those roads.

I'll echo others' thoughts: I'm glad that the accident just hurt vehicles. No vehicle is worth more than a person, and there is reason to celebrate when something could have been so much worse.

Joseph
04-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Very sorry to hear about the accident. I am very glad to read that you are still with us. Something my Father used to tell me. Machines can be replaced. You cannot. I hope you get back into action soon and that you are able to make your annual summer trip out west as you usually do. I have always looked forward to reading about where you end up. Camp hosting that is. Thank you for sharing what happened. I hope it serves to remind us that nothing is guaranteed. Don't let this stop you. Keep going!