PDA

View Full Version : Propane Pricing

gocntry
04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
What A Good Price To Pay For Propane?? This Is The 1st Time For Filling My Tanks.

I Have An Rv Dealership On Both Sides Of Town Here. One Charges $3.50 Per Gallon The Other $2.95 Per Gallon.

So At 2.95 A Gallon That's About $12.00 To Fill A Tank (4 Gallons) Where It's $20.00 Or More To Swap Tanks (17Lbs or about 4 gallons).

So That Seems A Lot Cheaper, But Should I Be Able To Get It Any Cheaper :confused:

ShrimpBurrito
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
There are 2 places in the LA area I go for propane.

1) A major propane supplier, with huge delivery trucks and a parts house for propane supplies. They charge about $2.75/gallon, but require a minimum $20 or so purchase. I don't go here frequently because it's a 20-min drive.

2) A family-owned marine hardware store about 2 minutes from my house. They charge about about $4.50/gallon, and have no minimum purchase. Huge convenience factor.

Dave

Wavery
04-05-2010, 09:13 AM
There are 2 places in the LA area I go for propane.

1) A major propane supplier, with huge delivery trucks and a parts house for propane supplies. They charge about $2.75/gallon, but require a minimum $20 or so purchase. I don't go here frequently because it's a 20-min drive.

2) A family-owned marine hardware store about 2 minutes from my house. They charge about about $4.50/gallon, and have no minimum purchase. Huge convenience factor.

Dave

I've only paid over $3 a gallon once ($3.13). That was a couple weeks ago, in Anaheim (I was filling up my SILs BBQ tank). I thought that he was expensive......I usually go to a Union 76 station on PCH in Malibu (on our way up to Pt Mugu). He's usually around $2.75 and he doesn't care if you buy 1 gallon or 50. I usually get 4 or 5 tanks filled at once and store them at home (I have 6 tanks, including my small one).

Bill
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
I ran into a store around here that doesn't charge per gallon. Instead, there is a flat fee to fill a 20-lb tank, no matter how much they put in. Took me a while to discover that. The rate wasn't too bad (though not great) if I was filling an empty tank, but obviously it was a bad deal if I was just topping off a half-full tank. I don't go there any more.

I have never found a per-gallon price that was nearly as high as the cylinder exchange cage. Don't know how they get away with that, but obviously they do.

Bill

Wavery
04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I ran into a store around here that doesn't charge per gallon. Instead, there is a flat fee to fill a 20-lb tank, no matter how much they put in. Took me a while to discover that. The rate wasn't too bad (though not great) if I was filling an empty tank, but obviously it was a bad deal if I was just topping off a half-full tank. I don't go there any more.

I have never found a per-gallon price that was nearly as high as the cylinder exchange cage. Don't know how they get away with that, but obviously they do.

Bill

They "Get away" with it because they know that consumers are basically lazy. It's a "convenience factor".

The HomeDepot near us gets $29 (PLUS TAX) for an exchange tank. When you figure those tanks have 4 gallons in them, that's $7.50 a gallon........ and they have hundreds of them in stock......... go figure.

Keith Wire
04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
They "Get away" with it because they know that consumers are basically lazy. It's a "convenience factor".

Easy guys... :)

I own a Hardware Store and we have the exchange because there isn't anybody that fills tanks within 15 miles of us.

And we exchange for $20.99.

Keith