PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide

guitartom
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I bought a used 2006 2720 2 days ago from a used car/trailer dealer in Mass. (Worthington Air Automotive). Tom is a nice guy but we didn't have a lot of time to talk basics trying to get it road ready for my trip home in the storm.Towed it in the deluge back to Long Island. I have never towed anything before. I have read a lot of posts on this and the Honda Ridgeline owners forum but they all seem to assume I already know something about batteries, propane, toilets ect. Does anyone have a recommendation for a single source book or internet feed that would explain this? I read the pin out on the 7 pin connector but see nothing for a battery. Is that something that needs to be added.I see a brake pin. Do I need an added brake controller? BTW, mine was from an auction. They had removed the stereo, awning, propane, and battery. Does the counter where the stereo was installed lift up? I don't see how I can replace as is. Is there an extra bracket of some kind for the propane tanks I'll need to buy? I have figured out that I need a battery box by reading posts here.
Thanks

Bill
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow! Your first towing experience ever, was in a deluge? Through New York City? With no trailer brakes? I'm impressed that you are still alive!

More seriously. Yes, you absolutely need a trailer brake controller. This should be the first thing you take care of. I suggest a Tekonsha Prodigy - a very good, and easy to use controller, especially for new users. About $100 - do not try to go cheap here!

Second thing you should do is read - a lot - in our Technical Library, aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else. There are a ton of technical tutorials about all of the TM systems there.

Third thing - become a Sponsor on this forum. Your free trial access will run out soon, and you will lose access to most of this forum.

Fourth thing - did your TM come with a blue binder (hope so). The blue binder is in every TM as it leaves the factory. It contains the Owner's Manual for the TM itself, as well as all the documentation on the appliances. Spend some quality time with your blue binder.

Fifth thing - after you have done the things above, ask lots of questions here. This is a well-behaved forum where the members welcome questions, and will share almost unlimited knowledge and experience with you. There are no dumb questions here. We were all new to the game at one time.

Welcome aboard! You'll love it.

Bill

PopBeavers
04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Another thing worth reading, but later on, is "The 12volt Side of Life". It will explain, in great detail, just about everything you need to know about your 12 volt system, except for solar.

Too bad your are not closer to San Francisco. We have a TM rally later this month. I will be speaking on cutting the umbilical cord, introduction to dry camping.

wmtire
04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
We have a TM rally later this month. I will be speaking on cutting the umbilical cord, introduction to dry camping.

That's something I would like to hear. I sure wish you would webstream that speech......like with skype. :D

PopBeavers
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
That's something I would like to hear. I sure wish you would webstream that speech......like with skype. :D

I'll see if someone can record it. At least the audio.

wheeler09
04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
If you have the time you can take your trailer to the factory, and for a 169.00$ they will go thru it and answer any questions you have. You can also call and talk to Ed. they are real good help I know i just had mine there and learned a lot.

Skeetman
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Guitartom:

I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller for sale for $50 - see details in "Parts & Accessories" section of forum. Let me know if you're interested.

Skeetman

PopBeavers
04-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I'll see if someone can record it. At least the audio.
We are going to try to video tape my presentation.

Not sure how to distribute it. We can figure that out later.

The outline for my presentation is posted in the thread about the rally. Just search for Petaluma. It should be easy to find.

I can also post a copy of the handout later for those that were unable to attend.