PDA

View Full Version : April 2010 West Coast TM Petaluma Rally

Gwenzilla
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I could not find the original thread for this rally so I am posting this message in the General discussion area to remind everyone of this rally to get some feedback on who plans to attend. We are planning to attend April 16 to the 18th. Any one else planning to attend? Please let me know.

B_and_D
02-20-2010, 02:11 PM
We're thinking about going, but not sure.

robertkennel
02-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I actually had to do a search to find the thread. Funny you mentioned it a couple of hours after me looking for it. We are going, making the reservation today. We will arive thursday and leave saturday night. Parents 50th wedding anniversary on sunday at 12:30 so we must leave early. Robert

PopBeavers
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Jan and I will be there, arriving Friday evening and departing Sunday.

Shandysplace
02-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Come Join Us
West Coast TrailBlazers
TrailManor Onwers and Guests
Petaluma KOA - April 16-18, 2010

Reservations:
Call 707-763-1492 and mention West Coast TrailBlazers Reservation No. 210175

Hosts: Sharon Zanassi & Andy Johnson
[email protected]

Agenda:
· Friday night: dessert/coffee, ice tea*
· Sat morning: trailer walk, talk by Wayne Beavers (popbeavers) on "The Ins and Outs of Dry Camping", lunch consisting of sandwich tray with assorted lunch meats, cheeses, lettuce, tomato, onion, etc., coffee, ice tea*.
· Afternoon: socialize, TrailBlazer mtg.
· Dinner: potluck plus grill-your-own*, and 50/50 raffle.
· Sunday: continental breakfast*.
*Bring your own utensils, plates, napkins and drinks to all meals.

The rate is $43/night + 12% tax ($48.16). The rate is for up to 4 people. No charge for pets. Each additional adult is $7/night and each child 4-17 $5.00/night. A $10/site charge will be collected on Friday evening to offset expenses.

All 22 sites of Rows L&M on the campground map have been reserved. Please check the KOA site map http://www.koa.com/where/ca/05330/facilities/sitemap.htm.

Our speaker on Saturday morning is Wayne Beavers (popbeavers) on "The Ins and Outs of Dry Camping". Wayne as most of you know is a regular poster on the Trailmanor Owners Forum.

Gwenzilla
02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Andy, I'm looking forward to hearing Wayne's speach/seminar on dry camping. I've got many a question for him about this subject, and expect this to be a well attended part of this rally.

These are very reasonable rates for a such a well run KOA campground. Do you by chance know if the banana bikes will be available to rent? Our kid AJ loves to cruise about the place on these bikes.

-Geo.

The rate is $43/night + 12% tax ($48.16). The rate is for up to 4 people. No charge for pets. Each additional adult is $7/night and each child 4-17 $5.00/night. A $10/site charge will be collected on Friday evening to offset expenses.

All 22 sites of Rows L&M on the campground map have been reserved. Please check the KOA site map http://www.koa.com/where/ca/05330/facilities/sitemap.htm.

Our speaker on Saturday morning is Wayne Beavers (popbeavers) on "The Ins and Outs of Dry Camping". Wayne as most of you know is a regular poster on the Trailmanor Owners Forum.

Shandysplace
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
The bikes are available for rental as well as helmets. Pool/spa availability is uncertain as KOA is in the the process of remodeling both. Availability will depend on CA approval of the remodel plan and whether that project begins before or after the rally weekend.

msager
02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
We are planning to attend. We love Pismo Beach. See you all there.

B_and_D
02-23-2010, 10:18 PM
If there aren't very many people attending so far, you may want to consider posting it on rv.net in their rally section, they have a lot more members than our board does. There may be some people who would like to visit just to see so many TM's in person.

If we go I think we'll try to make it a 4 day weekend...it would be fun to go out to Pt. Reyes again and visit the oyster farm (and buy some oysters, yum!) and maybe see some whales. I've lived on the coast almost my entire life and I had never seen a whale until we went there 4 or so years ago about that time of the year. Pt. Reyes is fun and beautiful to hike around. It's so green, and lots of flowers, especially irises, at that time of the year. The kids enjoyed the "earthquake trail" that shows where the San Andreas fault shifted in 1906.

Shandysplace
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll try and post there.

Know that the Bonessa Bros. (new No. Cal. dealer) and TrailManor's CA rep are monitoring registrations to decide if it would be worth their while to bring a tech and/or a new 2010 model to the Rally.

Shandysplace
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry couldn't find rally section. Can you provide a link. We joined both rv.net and the forum.

B_and_D
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/13245680.cfm

Perhaps the moderator would do a sticky for us.

Bluegrass
02-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Know that the Bonessa Bros. (new No. Cal. dealer) and TrailManor's CA rep are monitoring registrations to decide if it would be worth their while to bring a tech and/or a new 2010 model to the Rally.

If they decide not to come to Petaluma, perhaps they would consider the September rally at Pismo? Or maybe Custom RV since Pismo Beach is closer to them.

Shandysplace
02-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Custom RV, Anaheim will be attending the Pismo Beach rally. We're hoping that Bonessa Bros., Gilroy will attend, but that has yet to be confirmed.

PopBeavers
03-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Here is what I plan on presenting at the April rally in Petaluma. I intend this to be an overview. Thre is not enough time for a lot of detail. I intend that there will be a lot of time at the end for Q&A. Selected topics of interest could be covered in future rallys, either by myself or someone else.

I will also try to be available if you just want to stop by and chit-chat.

I will have my Honda 2000 with me in case someone wants to see how easy it is to start and how quiet it is.

Cutting the Umbilical Cord
A Modest Introduction to Dry Camping in a Trailmanor

Security
- RV Parks: full security (roving security staff)
- National and State Parks: near full security (no roving security)
- County Parks: similar to National and State parks on a smaller scale
- Forest service campgrounds: reduced, but some security (campground host with communication to authorities)
- BLM: I have no experience This is usually very rote.
- Boondocking in a national forest. No security. You are on your own.

Fresh water management
- I budget 5 gallons of water per person per day.
- cooking
- washing dishes
- routine hand washing
- brush teeth
- navy shower every other day
- sponge bath in-between
- if I run out I have
- 3-8 gallon jugs optionally carried
- 1-7 gallon jug optionally carried
- 2-1 gallon collapsible jugs
- 175 feet of fresh water host
- water thief
Waste water management
- Go back home early
- Drive to nearest dump station
- Blue tote and haul to nearest dump station
- Pay for pumping service if available
- Dump down local campground toilet (pit or flush) using buckets
- Ditto using macerator
- Disperse gray water in the forest (may not be legal in some places)
- Dumping on the way home (RVDUMPS.com)

Power manage
- Read "The 12volt Side of Life" copyright by Mark S. Nemeth
- I budget 3 days with 2 group 24 Interstate RV/Marine batteries
- after that I charge with generator
- better to charge in morning than in evening
- I charge for about an hour by plugging TM into generator (Honda 2000i)
- charging from TV is not practical
- solar is an option, but requires access to sunlight
- more batteries is an option, but they get heavy
- alternate batteries with TV is an option
- major electric appliances require either generator or substantial battery bank for inverters

Fridge management
- Ice chests for drinks
- Refreeze blue ice in TM overnight for use in cooler tomorrow
- Drained off melted ice can be used to pre-chill warm drinks before going on ice
- Dry ice

Staying cool
- Running a/c on generator (2,000 watts may not be enough)
- Generator options
- contractor versus inverter generators
- dual Honda 2000i
- Yamaha 2400 or 2800
- Honda 3000
- Portable 12v volt fans

Suggested destinations for a California Rookie
- Pinecrest Lake, east of Sonora
- good for kids
- Clark's Fork near Pinecrest Lake
- Donner National Park near Truckee
- Bass Lake near Oakhursst, near Yosemite
- Sequoia/King's Canyon National Park
- Yosemite National Park
- Pfeifer Big Sur State Park
- Various Parks in the redwoods from Santa Cruz to Gurneville
- North Coast redwoods
- Delta
- Naciemento Lake
- Morro Bay State Park
- Montana de Oro State Park

PopBeavers
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
btw

I am still open to consider other topics. This is not a rock solid firm outline. That won't happen until my wife makes up some power point slides.

I hope to have handouts.

If you have not done so already, please print and read:

The 12 volt side of life (http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm)

I would print it, but it is copyrighted.

PopBeavers
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I have received a request from a new TM owner on the east coast to stream my presentation on dry camping.

Rather than that, can some one that is attending the Rally this month record either audio/video or at least the audio?

Beak12
04-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I have received a request from a new TM owner on the east coast to stream my presentation on dry camping.

Rather than that, can some one that is attending the Rally this month record either audio/video or at least the audio?

OK Geeks explain ( stream my presentation on dry camping)
Thanks. :)

ShrimpBurrito
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
OK Geeks explain ( stream my presentation on dry camping)
Thanks. :)

Broadcast Wayne's talk over the internet.

Dave

Beak12
04-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Broadcast Wayne's talk over the internet.

Dave

Ok Dave----If one wanted to hear it what does one do? Is this something done live? Or??? Help. :cool:

ShrimpBurrito
04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
No one knows yet. Sounds like Wayne is just trying to get someone with a video camera or audio recorder just to capture the presentation. That's the first step. Once someone steps up, then he can either stream it, or more likely, just put it online somewhere where people can view it at their convenience.

Dave

Lawrence
04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I purchased a TM 2720SL last November, but haven't had time - or good weather - to try it out yet. Made a reservation for the rally at Petaluma. It's comforting to know that other seasoned TM owners will be at the rally, as I may need to ask a few questions! Looking forward to the weekend and getting to know my own TM as well as other TM Owners.

... Lawrence

PopBeavers
04-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I think a recording would be better.

I anticipate that at future rally's, someone might do a presentation on a single topic that I only do an overview of. Electrical for example. For anyone not attending the Petaluma Rally, but they attend a subsequent Rally, wouldn't it be nice if they could watch, or at least listen to, the introduction.

If I could get a digitized raw DVD, I am sure I could persuade my daughter to do some editing of it. She has done a fair amount of video editing, and she owes me a big favor. She bought a condo last week and I am painting the entire interior for her.

If the video only contained myself, and not other people, then we would not have to be concerned about privacy because I would be the only one at risk, and that is not something I worry about. I know that security is an issue for the roaming camera video that, I believe, George has made in the past.

I have a digital camera, but have not used it in several years. Maybe I'll test it and make sure it is working. I also have a tripod so it would just need to be set up. But I have very little experience with it. I only used it to tape softball games, where audio was not important.

Bill
04-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Wayne -

I can't attend, but I look forward to the video, especially since my wife and I are trying to increase our percentage of boondocking, and get away from full-hookup campgrounds. My thanks to you, and to Sharon and Andy, for your efforts in bringing this about.

Bill

PopBeavers
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM
fwiw, I have been dry camping since I was 6 months old, so sayeth my mother.

My dad liked to hunt and fish. He wanted to be able to walk from camp to his hunting or fishing spot. We mostly camped in any flat spot alongside a creek or river. That was back in the days when you could drink the stream water without treating it.

Sometimes we camped where we had to drive a mile or so, in a Jeep in 4wd, to the nearest spring to get water in jugs. On one occasion, we used that spring and Jeep as first responders to a forest fire that had just started up.

Our first trailer is the TM that we got in 2005.

I also have been backpacking since 1976 or so. Now that is some serious dry camping.

If you want to watch the sun set from the top of Half Dome, an RV does not help much.

Wavery
04-04-2010, 12:31 PM
My best "Dry camping" was done in the middle of a body of water......there is no "Dry camping" like 59 days at sea in a small boat. It was just really a 45' camper.

IMHO.....there is nothing quite like the feeling of "Total" self sufficiency.

"Water, water, everywhere,: Nor any drop to drink" (The Rime of the Ancient Mariner)

B_and_D
04-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Wayne, would you please bring your battery charger? We're going to make reservations tomorrow, and we'd like to see if it could do something "positive" for our batteries. We bought them in 2004, they still hold a charge, but they don't charge up fully. We gave up on our snow trip for this weekend. DS is too busy with school, and the weather is iffy.

Wavery
04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Wayne, would you please bring your battery charger?

I'm gonna assume that you're referring to the other Wayne....:p

PopBeavers
04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Yup, I'm the other Wayne.

I will have my charger as part of my presentation. I already have it loaded.

We should probably run a desulfate charge first followed by an equalize charge. We will need to disconnect the battery from the TM for the equalize charge.

We need to get it started Friday night. It may take overnight for each mode.

If you have more than one battery then we will run out of time doing them one at a time. I think we can parallel two batteries without damaging anything. I'll have to read some documentation.

B_and_D
04-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Wayne B (Northern CA), thanks! We have two 6V Trojans, so they can probably be dealt with both at the same time.

Wayne (Southern CA), are you coming to the rally in Petaluma?

Wavery
04-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Wayne B (Northern CA), thanks! We have two 6V Trojans, so they can probably be dealt with both at the same time.

Wayne (Southern CA), are you coming to the rally in Petaluma?

Nope........we had other plans......maybe next year.:)

Bluegrass
04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
OK, you guys have been home for an hour. Let's have a report!!!

PopBeavers
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
What I thought would be a 45 minute presentation on Introduction to Dry Camping ended up taking 1.5 hours. There were very few question, so it was a lot of me talking.

Apparently I talk about as much as I post.

Andy captured the video and audio.

The weather was great.

B_and_D
04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
We had a great time! There weren't as many people/rigs as last time, but it was still a really good time. We all had so much fun at the 50/50 raffle on Saturday night! I didn't take any pictures this time except for a group photo at the end, I'll see if any of those came out OK and maybe post one. I think that there were 14 TM's. We were kind of scattered around the campground as another rally was using the other side where some of us were camped last year, and they were also using the other 1/2 of the clubhouse.

Thank you everyone who put it together, contributed and made it work! You guys did a great job. We missed Wayne's "live" presentation but are looking forward to seeing it on DVD.

We're looking forward to the Pismo Beach Rally in September. There will be most likely be another Petaluma Rally in April 2011, the 22nd through 24th?

PopBeavers
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I think that there were 14 TM's. We were kind of scattered around the campground as another rally was using the other side where some of us were camped last year, and they were also using the other 1/2 of the clubhouse.

My in-laws died a few years ago. Before that they were members of the Bay Area Mavericks. Which is the club that we were sharing the clubhouse with.

There are still three members of the club that remembered my in-laws. My wife went of to talk with them and they pulled out a scrap book that had some pictures of her parents.

Small world sometimes.

robertkennel
04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
We enjoyed the stay, arrived thursday and had to leave saturday night. Missed out on the really great weather on sunday. Can't wait for them to finish the pool. We will be going back very soon, the kids liked the peacock that visited the campground every day. Nicely done Andy. Thanks for your efforts. Robert

mjlaupp
04-24-2010, 05:34 PM
And let this go it's own way. The rally is old news.
Mike

Bill
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I'll do it shortly, Mike - but first I want to hear about the videos. Was Wayne/PopBeavers able to get a copy of his talk?

Bill

PopBeavers
04-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I'll do it shortly, Mike - but first I want to hear about the videos. Was Wayne/PopBeavers able to get a copy of his talk?

Bill

We captured an MPEG. I think Andy is trying to get George to edit it. All we have is raw footage. The screen with the slides projected n it completely washed out.

Gwenzilla
04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I'll be getting together with Andy this coming weekend to get the raw footage of the presentation. I will start editing as soon as possible. The video as I understand it is very long and a multi gigabyte affair. Please allow me some time to work on it to do it justice, I have several tasks on hand that I have to juggle with this editing job.

-George

PopBeavers
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
George,

It might take you awhile. I talked nearly not stop for an hour and a half. I thought it would only be 45 minutes.

You may be able to cut some out, at your discretion.

It would be really helpful, I think, if you inserted stills of what was on the screen. If you can not get them from Andy, I can ship you the power point file.

I am actually surprised that many people sat there that long listening to me.

Gwenzilla
04-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Wayne, Jan has already sent me an 11 page PowerPoint file which I assume are the stills you want included in the video of your magnum opus on dry camping. It will be no problem working them in to the video.

B_and_D
05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I posted it on Photobucket, here's the link:

http://s543.photobucket.com/albums/gg452/luvrtm/?action=view&current=P4180112.jpg

Gwenzilla
05-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I posted it on Photobucket

OK so I also looked at a video of a short walk in the rain on that page... curiosity abounds... is there a backstory on that?

B_and_D
05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
That's the front of our road before we had new culverts installed...