PDA

View Full Version : Tow Mirror Extensions for 4Runner

Gerry 1950
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Need advice on best mirror extensions. The Tow-N-See seem to be the most versitile. Any thoughts from owners on best tow mirrors?

Wavery
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Need advice on best mirror extensions. The Tow-N-See seem to be the most versitile. Any thoughts from owners on best tow mirrors?

Check out some of these posts from a search on "Towing mirrors".

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/search.php?searchid=492174

Bill
02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
As Wayne suggests (though he needs to edit his link), you should do a Search on Towing mirrors.

Let me suggest you start here (http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3658), so as to get an idea of what towing mirrors are supposed to do for you.

Bill

ib4classics
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Gerry, we have a 2008 4 Runner and I purchased the McKesh mirrors. I could not be happier, they give great rear and side vision.
They take a little time to fit and adjust the first time but after that 2 min. and ready to go.
John

Al-n-Sue
02-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Gerry - I have a set of McKesh clone mirrors (from Camping World) for sale. See the posting in items for sale.
Alan
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9695

P and B
02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I initially bought the "tow and see" mirrors that suction onto the mirror. Wouldn't recommend them.

I bought a set of Dual XLR mirrors last summer and it really improved my ability to see behind me. They have two mirrors that each can be adjusted. They have a ratchet system that, once set, are pretty easy to take on and off. The other advantage is that your regular mirrors are also useable which, oddly, I still use when the extensions are on.

Phil

PopBeavers
02-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I initially bought the "tow and see" mirrors that suction onto the mirror. Wouldn't recommend them.

I bought a set of Dual XLR mirrors last summer and it really improved my ability to see behind me. They have two mirrors that each can be adjusted. They have a ratchet system that, once set, are pretty easy to take on and off. The other advantage is that your regular mirrors are also useable which, oddly, I still use when the extensions are on.

Phil

That is what I dowith my Chevy. I have the factory mirrors set to see the TM wheels and the cars alongside me. The factory mirrors are adjusted a bit lower than normal. My McKesh are mostly set to see down the full length of the TM and beyond.

I also have the small spot mirrors that I use to see oncoming cars at a freeway on-ramp and also for the small little convertible, like my daughter's Miata, in my blind spot.

BlueLeader
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Gerry, we have a 2008 4 Runner and I purchased the McKesh mirrors. I could not be happier, they give great rear and side vision.
They take a little time to fit and adjust the first time but after that 2 min. and ready to go.
John

John, I've also got a set of McKesh mirrors, and just bought a 2006 4Runner. How did you get the strap to work with the plastic fascia panels on the bottom of your doors?

T and C
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Folks,

On my last two TV's I have used the CIPA slip-on mirrors. Both TV's have been F-150's. With the clamp on style mirrors vibration is a constant problem and those McKesh ones cost many $$. Owners that have used them seem satisfied with the McKesh, but I can say the same thing.

First of all, they cost about $30 per side at Camping World. So we're talking $60 a set versus $130-$150.

Second, they slip on in seconds. Then you slip in a little wedge and tighten a knurled knob on the back against it. In most cases, you don't have to give them any thought until the next trip. I had one work loose on one side once, but I was immediately alerted by the change in the view, so I stopped and tightened it.

Next, I have never noticed any vibration problem. If I hit a bump big enough the vibrate the stock mirrors on the truck, the CIPA's only vibrate the same, and this is very rare.

Another aspect is that I can see the sight lines converge at a point a couple of car lengths behind the TM. A small car can hide directly behind the trailer, but not an suv or pickup since I can see their roof in my inside rear view mirror. The wiggle technique can quickly expose any bozo following real close to the trailer, but what can you do anyway? (Perhaps a rear mounted, remotely operated paint ball gun?) ;)

A final point is that these mirrors have slots to expose any stock mirror mounted, rear-facing turn signal indicators. If your TV has these you could instantly see a difference in the lights if the mirror began to slip off.

BTW, I also have little convex mirrors mounted in the corners of my OEM mirrors. I always check these for blind spot coverage before changing lanes.

So, I would recommend taking a look at these before plunking down so much money.

Tom

Bill
01-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I've also got a set of McKesh mirrors, and just bought a 2006 4Runner. How did you get the strap to work with the plastic fascia panels on the bottom of your doors?Blue -

Not being a 4Runner owner, I'm not quite sure what your question means. There is a padded metal clip at the lower end of each strap, intended to clip over the lower edge of the door. Does this not work? Is the door edge plastic but really wimpy? Help me out.

Bill

BlueLeader
01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Blue -

Not being a 4Runner owner, I'm not quite sure what your question means. There is a padded metal clip at the lower end of each strap, intended to clip over the lower edge of the door. Does this not work? Is the door edge plastic but really wimpy? Help me out.

Bill

Sorry, my question was directed to ib4classics, who said they have a 2008 4Runner....

Last night I tried the McKesh mirror on the door -- although it appears to work, I'm a little concerned since the only place for the clip to hook on is the plastic fascia -- being that the mirror head is good size, I have concerns about it's stability when you're driving at highway speeds. On my FJ, it was clipped onto the metal of the door -- on here, it appears only to clip onto about 1" of plastic, which by design, is flexible to deal with rocks thrown up from the tire.

PopBeavers
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Folks,

On my last two TV's I have used the CIPA slip-on mirrors. Both TV's have been F-150's. With the clamp on style mirrors vibration is a constant problem and those McKesh ones cost many $$. Owners that have used them seem satisfied with the McKesh, but I can say the same thing.

Tom

TV1 = $30,000
TV2 = $22,000
TM = $23,000
2ATVs plus DS motorcycle = $20,000
ATV trailer = $2000

Total cost $97,000

The cost of McKesh mirrors is a rounding error.

When using my McKesh mirrors I have them extended to the maximum allowed by law. I like being able to see my daughter in her Miata when she is following me.

While parked, pace off 100 feet behind the TM. Can you see both TV mirrors? If not, then push the mirrors out farther until yyou can see them. Not all mirrors will go that far. Not all TVs are wide enough to allow mirrors to go that far, legally.

Just my perspective. Your mileage may vary. My budget is not your budget.

T and C
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Wayne,

In the words of former California senator S. I. Hiakawa, "A hundred million here, a billion there...before long you are getting into some real money".

:D

Tom

PopBeavers
01-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Wayne,

In the words of former California senator S. I. Hiakawa, "A hundred million here, a billion there...before long you are getting into some real money".

:D

Tom

He was a master with semantics. Somewhere I have a copy of one of his books, back when he was teaching at SF state.

Did you hear about the woman that accused her husband of spending money like a drunken sailor and he accused her of spending money like a sober Congressman.