PDA

View Full Version : A working Trailmanor model made from wood

ShrimpBurrito
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Every year our family picks names to do a gift exchange over Christmas, and every year, we all hope that our one brother picks our name. Why? Because he's quite a talented woodworker, and every year, the lucky recipient always seems to get a very cool personalized gift. One year it was a working John Deere Model M tractor in a wood box, locked with wooden screws and wooden nuts. Another year, it was a giant bench swing. This year, I was the lucky guy, and I got a functioning Trailmanor replica!

My brother and his wife were out visiting awhile back at our house, and while I was out for a beer run, he dutifully took measurements of our TM to make the model to scale. An untold number of hours later, some even making a CAD drawing, he crafted a masterpiece! It's made from various hardwoods -- including maple, oak, and beech -- thus the different colors, and finished with a light coat of danish oil.

Being that we have a 2720SL, he replicated that model. It has the front slideout, sunken propane tanks, and rear bed. Check out the link below for pictures, and a video of it in action.

As you're watching the video, you'll see the rear bed slides in first, then the front slideout, then the door folds in, and then the shells unlock and fold. It's not 100% true to function -- the shell locks are different, for example. But it's darn close, especially for a first copy.

Trailmanor Model Pictures and Video (http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/wemwI9tC/1/4554828)

Comes complete with wheel chocks and wheel risers. Appliances and TV are extra.

Comments & criticisms welcome! Who knows...this may only be the first one! Who wants one? :D

Dave

Al-n-Sue
02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
That is SO COOL! A beautiful piece of woodwork!

rumbleweed
02-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Dave

That is absolutely amazing. At a min,he should make plans available. He even got the door configuration the same. Can I get in on your family drawing next year?

wmtire
02-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I am in awe. That is fantastic. I wonder if you will be fortunate enough to get the corresponding tow vehicle next year.

BTW, uhhhh, exactly where do you live? What times are you not home? What's the dog's name? What's the security code for the alarm system? Do you have nosy neighbors? :D

Scott O
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever seen! Well, almost the most amazing!!! Your brother is very, very talented.

TexasCamper
02-04-2010, 07:28 PM
What a gift! What incredible talent!

Wavery
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Super cool!!!!

You have a great brother.......my hat's off to him.:D

rjlwork
02-05-2010, 05:23 AM
WOW! That is truly amazing! My brother is into woodworking.....hmmm. Wonder if he could make a Trailmini?

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous

gocntry
02-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Very Talented, That Is Really Cool

Larry Gault
02-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Very neat, what a brother you have.

lnussbau
02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Every year our family picks names to do a gift exchange over Christmas, and every year, we all hope that our one brother picks our name.
the shell locks are different, for example. But it's darn close, especially for a first copy.

Trailmanor Model Pictures and Video (http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/wemwI9tC/1/4554828)

Comes complete with wheel chocks and wheel risers. Appliances and TV are extra.

Comments & criticisms welcome! Who knows...this may only be the first one! Who wants one? :D

Dave

Gorgeous! I'd love to get one of those.

You've got a very talented brother.

Bill
02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
My brother wishes I were that talented.

Bill

mac_falls
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
You lucky dog you!!! I can NOT show it to my wife cause she will want one to display on her night stand for the 6 months that ours is in storage for winter. (snowing like cats & dogs right now ugh!!).

Wavery
02-05-2010, 02:00 PM
My brother wishes I were that talented.

Bill

I wish that my brother was talented......:p

Jim&Joan
02-05-2010, 04:29 PM
How neat is that! I'll have to show that to my uber-woodworking neighbor, we exchange gifts, maybe I'd get one next Christmas :-D

ShrimpBurrito
02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I showed this thread to my brother, and he was ecstatic from all the very nice comments. While everyone in our family always tells him what great work he does, I'm sure it's nice to get some external validation once in awhile. :D

While I will always have the distinction and honor of having the first wooden replica, he said he would be willing to make more to sell if enough people were interested. This is your chance to get on our Christmas list!

Ordinarily, woodworking is a hobby for him, but if he were making several models at the same time, he could get them finished in a fraction of the time I waited for mine, and it would be worth his time. And of course, the more he makes, the lower the price. :D

I have no idea what he'd want to charge, but I'm sure it would be on the order of several hundred dollars. If you're interested, send me an email or PM and I'll follow-up with more details offline as soon as he has more info.

Thanks,
Dave

wbmiller3
02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Awesome model.

B_and_D
02-06-2010, 08:34 PM
It is really cool, DH liked it too! It is so representative of an actual TM and beautifully rendered.

It reminds me of a covered wagon night light lamp that DS (who got it from DH) has in his bedroom (probably vintage 1950's). The yoke pulls a chain down to turn the bulb on.

I was thinking that it would make a cool night light, but it's excellent just as it is.

mbd4kids
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow!!

Skeetman
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Absolutely beautiful work - What type of wood did he use to replicate the Thetford vinyl skirt?

ShrimpBurrito
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Absolutely beautiful work - What type of wood did he use to replicate the Thetford vinyl skirt?

Petrified wood. :eek:

Dave

Skeetman
02-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Touche'

countrygirl
02-13-2010, 07:08 AM
This is just too cool! I love it! I have tried making one from modeling clay and also a crayola clay product... looked really bad. I bought plastic canvas and thought I would stitch one up but have not attempted it. This far surpasses my feeble attempts!!!

fischnet52
02-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I showed this thread to my brother, and he was ecstatic from all the very nice comments. While everyone in our family always tells him what great work he does, I'm sure it's nice to get some external validation once in awhile. :D

Thanks,
Dave

Wow, I have to agree with everyone. He should feel very validated. This is not simple work (for most of us anyway!) and I know what kind of time it takes to do quality wood work. I keep mine to the larger furniture type and sure can appreciate what level of attention this calls for! Great Job!!