PDA

View Full Version : Cracked frame

Digger
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
When setting up the TM I noticed the rear end was drooping down a little and things weren’t lining up very good. Checking underneath I found a large crack in the street side frame where it sits on top of the axle. I don’t think this is as much of a problem with the shorter 2720’s or the non slide outs where the batteries are on the front a-frame but, anyone with the longer slide outs that have the weight of two batteries and some times a generator in the rear compartment I think you need to keep a close eye on this weak spot. I have it scheduled to be repaired this Wed. When I showed the shop owner the photo he said he’s seen this happen before and should be able to repair it ok. I’m also thinking of having him weld a 4ft piece of channel iron down the inside of the frame over the axel on both street and curb sides to beef it up so it doesn’t happen again. I hope.

ShrimpBurrito
01-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow. That is a huge crack, especially considering your TM is only ~3 years old.

Dave

wbmiller3
01-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I always wondered about those big cutouts being stress raisers.

PopBeavers
01-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Yikes.

That is the second cracked frame that I know of that has been reported here. I reported one in 2006 (I think), that was probably caused by a weld for my swing tongue.

I think your crack is worse than mine was.

I have plans to climb under my 2005 TM 2720 this spring and use a wire brush on any rust spots and put some paint on any bad spots. That will be an excellent time to inspect the frame carefully.

ED-n-KEL
01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Looks very clean to be a crack...
Almost looks like a missed weld.

Wavery
01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Looks very clean to be a crack...
Almost looks like a missed weld.

It sorta looks like the factory butt welded that frame. I hope that I'm wrong.

I'll have to go down and take a look at mine. The frame should be one solid piece. If they join a frame, one side should be expanded and slipped over the other side or a sleeve should be used to make the joint and both sides welded. However, I can't imagine any reason why that frame shouldn't be one solid piece. I would be very disappointed if they are butt welding pieces to save on material. I can't believe that they would do that.

ShrimpBurrito
01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
It sorta looks like the factory butt welded that frame. I hope that I'm wrong.

If they butt welded it, I would think the weld would be along the entire circumference of the frame, and would be visible on the portion of the circumference that is not yet cracked. And I don't see a weld in that picture.

But I agree, looks very clean, and very perpendicular to the frame, to be a crack.

And I wonder why they cut a hole in the frame there. The only place I've noticed that huge holes in the frame is there the tension bars pass through. Obviously they don't pass through that hole because 1) they're not visible; and 2) the hole doesn't go all the way through. That is very weird.

Dave