PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Hugh R
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey, new to this site. This looked like the most likely place to post a new member introduction. I just bought at 2000 model. I've had a pop-up camping trailer for years and saw one of these at a campsite in Solvang, CA over New Years and did a Google search and found one for sale in my city, when and checked it out and bought it. $8,200 Has A/C, TV antenna, spare tire and mount and I guess the usual assortment of extras. The Bill of Sale from the original owner said he paid $23K and change. I like it. Here are a few pics of my old camper and the new pad. Hope to learn a little more about them and mods that make sense. The PO took really good care of it, but I can see a few maintenance items like cleaning the gunk out of the screw leveling jacks and regreasing them, a few drops of oil on a few moving parts, etc. Anyway, glad I found this site. :)

Leslie & Nick
01-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey, new to this site. This looked like the most likely place to post a new member introduction. I just bought at 2000 model. I've had a pop-up camping trailer for years and saw one of these at a campsite in Solvang, CA over New Years and did a Google search and found one for sale in my city, when and checked it out and bought it. $8,200 Has A/C, TV antenna, spare tire and mount and I guess the usual assortment of extras. The Bill of Sale from the original owner said he paid $23K and change. I like it. Here are a few pics of my old camper and the new pad. Hope to learn a little more about them and mods that make sense. The PO took really good care of it, but I can see a few maintenance items like cleaning the gunk out of the screw leveling jacks and regreasing them, a few drops of oil on a few moving parts, etc. Anyway, glad I found this site. :)

Welcome Aboard!!:)

You guys certainly move quickly. It's not unusual to spend months and months looking for a used TrailManor. Good for you.

So which model did you get - ie: 2619, 2720, etc? I'm betting you can't wait to take it on the first camping expedition. For some reason your attached pictures didn't seem to work. Could be that trial members can't post pictures (???).

Anyway, glad you found this forum, it's a great place to find information about this unique type of camper. The $12/year membership fee is well worth the 'price of admission' :)

B_and_D
01-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Welcome! You may hold the record for seeing a TM, deciding to buy one, and finding a decent used one to buy in the shortest amount of time. I can't see your pictures either. As Leslie & Nick said, maybe you have to be a full member. There's info here on how to join:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_membership

Scott O
01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the forum and to our happy family of TM owners. As others have speculated, I suspect that your 'trial member' status is restricting your access. Joining this forum was the best investment we made toward successful use of our TM! You will probably see a chart at the bottom left of any page you are on telling what your access rights are, this should explain it all. Anyhow, if you are at all like many of us the questions about TMs will just start flowing. This is the place to get answers.

mcgyver210
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I think I was able to post pics when I was a trial member but I may be wrong. Don't you have full access in the first 30 days?

PopBeavers
01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Somewhere around here are some excellent checklists for a :new_newbi

But I am too lazy to go find it for you.

PopBeavers
01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I would also like to point out that there is a West Coast TM rally in Petaluma in the Spring. This will be our third. There will also be a second rally next year in the fall in Pismo Beach, which would appear to be much closer to you.

The first two Petaluma TM rallys had 31 and 26 TMs as I recall. The last count for the September 2010 rally in Pismo is 11 or 12. Both would be an excellent opportunity to meet fellow TM owner's.

I would also like to put in a plug for the fine folks at Custom RV in Anaheim. They attended the October 2009 rally in Petaluma and impressed many of us. I was impressed enough that I took our TM to them a few weeks ago for some repair work and they did an excellent job.

Hugh R
01-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Trying to load the pics again. Thanks all, its a 2720. For $12/year, that seems like a deal. I'm going on a trip today for two weeks (London) for a movie that I'm working on. I'll look into joining when I return. I loaded these as URLs from a car club that I post to.

wmtire
01-05-2010, 11:32 AM
That's a great looking camper, you got there Hugh. It appears to be a 2720SL.

Welcome to the forum.

Tuscany Bandit
01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Welcome Hugh!
Always good to have a Southern California neighbor!
Jerry

Beak12
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Trying to load the pics again. Thanks all, its a 2720. For $12/year, that seems like a deal. I'm going on a trip today for two weeks (London) for a movie that I'm working on. I'll look into joining when I return. I loaded these as URLs from a car club that I post to.

Hugh glad to have you join us. If you have the time take a look at the "Caravans" they sell in England. I was shocked at how many folks have "Caravans" in England. Well made and vary light and pulled by vary small cars. As I recall they did not have holding tanks. And the campgrounds I saw seemed more like just open fields and you park anyplace you want. :)

Wavery
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Hugh glad to have you join us. If you have the time take a look at the "Caravans" they sell in England. I was shocked at how many folks have "Caravans" in England. Well made and vary light and pulled by vary small cars. As I recall they did not have holding tanks. And the campgrounds I saw seemed more like just open fields and you park anyplace you want. :)

The reason that you can get away with towing with lighter vehicles in the UK is because their insurance is very different from ours. People cannot sue each other for personal liability and get multi-million $ settlements.

Some may think that this a a good thing. I personally think that it sucks on a couple different levels. 1st, there is little accountability for the manufacturers and sellers or users of products that may cause harm to others. 2nd, people that are harmed by these neglectful products or business practices are sometimes stuck with a lifetime of misery with no compensation for loss of wages or pain & suffering. They have Socialized Medical in the UK so they feel that takes care of the victim. IMHO, that entire system sucks.

Granted, sometimes our courts get carried away with certain settlements but they do that to send a message to corporations and individuals that negligent liability will not be tolerated. Thus, we have a society that (for the most part) uses more reasonable judgment before they do something like towing a big trailer with a small car because they realize (for the most part) that they can be held accountable.

In the UK, there is little to no personal accountability for stuff like this so you see some pretty dangerous stuff.

B_and_D
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
In the UK, there is little to no personal accountability for stuff like this so you see some pretty dangerous stuff.

You mean some things like this? Turn up your speakers first:

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/2/Small-car-pulling-a-large-caravan-runs-out-of-stea-220396.html :eek:

Hugh R
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey thanks for the responses! Yeah, I'm in London right now, it snowed big time my first day here last Wednesday. Couldn't get to Shepperton Studios. I won't have an opportunity to visit any trailer sites while I'm here. The wifey told me she opened it up and while attempting to push the upper door locking pin into the spring clip it broke. So I guess I have a little project to research when I get home. She also wants to replace the linoleum with a wood image type linoleum. What is the general thought on mods such as that? Good bad? What say you. I have an older Porsche and go to similar BB site and the issue on mods goes every which way.

RogerR
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Have you thought about using real wood. Some of the tongue and grove snap together wood floors are very inexpensive and easy to care for. The only reason I have not done so is how to trim it out and put it under the slide area.
My brother did it in his older Airstream and it really looked and worked great.
Fun video! unless you were the driver

Wavery
01-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey thanks for the responses! Yeah, I'm in London right now, it snowed big time my first day here last Wednesday. Couldn't get to Shepperton Studios. I won't have an opportunity to visit any trailer sites while I'm here. The wifey told me she opened it up and while attempting to push the upper door locking pin into the spring clip it broke. So I guess I have a little project to research when I get home. She also wants to replace the linoleum with a wood image type linoleum. What is the general thought on mods such as that? Good bad? What say you. I have an older Porsche and go to similar BB site and the issue on mods goes every which way.
Check this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61937&highlight=vinyl+floor#post61937

ginastarwalt
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Deleted my message by mistake. Anyway, love our TM. We are really happy with it.
I read on one of the boards that TM in Tenn. will do repairs at the factory. True? How does one make an appointment? We will be passing thru Tenn. and would like to see the factory and perhaps have our new to us '07, 2720 checked out. So far we have found one small problem. The bottom of the door doesn't seal well. We have a 1/2 inch gap at the non-hinged side. Anyway, thanks for all the info on these forum.
Gina
2720 TM
05 Jeep Liberty Wrangle.