PDA

View Full Version : Help checking out a used TM in Boston Area

berginc4
11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Is there anyone out there near Boston, MA? I am interested in possibly buying a used TM at:
Flagg RV Center
66 West Boylston Street
West Boylston, MA 01583 (Map)

but I live in Phoenix. It is a 1999 3124ks

Anyone out there that could help me that is near there?

Thanks,

Chuck

Scott O
11-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Chuck...you are considering the purchase of a TM from a dealer across the country based on a report by someone you don't know??? Wow...seems like a recipe for disaster. Last I heard there was a dealer in Phoenix and I know there is an excellent one in Anaheim, CA (Custom RV). I think that you would increase your chances of success if you stayed closer to home.

ShrimpBurrito
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Or, if it's a good deal, fly out there and look at it yourself. If it's well priced (i.e. a steal), you've seen good pics, and the seller is providing the right answers to your well thought out questions, the $300-$500 you'll spend on a flight and rental car might very well be worth it. If you fly out on a red-eye and come back the next evening, you won't even need a hotel. :D

Dave

Wavery
11-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Or, if it's a good deal, fly out there and look at it yourself. If it's well priced (i.e. a steal), you've seen good pics, and the seller is providing the right answers to your well thought out questions, the $300-$500 you'll spend on a flight and rental car might very well be worth it. If you fly out on a red-eye and come back the next evening, you won't even need a hotel. :D

Dave

And if you decide not to buy because of what you find.......it'll be the best $500 that you've ever spent. ;)

Now.....having said all that, if the thing's not a complete wreck and you can get it for around $4K, it may be worth the trip. Just plan on spending $1K-$2K on it to tow it home and fix a few things to make it workable.........gas, complete detail (if necessary) new tires, wheel bearing service......new battery(s) etc.

gocntry
11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
And if you decide not to buy because of what you find.......it'll be the best $500 that you've ever spent. ;)

Now.....having said all that, if the thing's not a complete wreck and you can get it for around $4K, it may be worth the trip.

Looks Like They Are Asking $7K

http://www.flaggrv.com/rv/trailmanor/traveltrailer/1049.htm

Bill
11-23-2009, 09:21 AM
It actually looks fairly clean and squared-away. The one thing I wondered about is that in the second photo, there is a blue tape patch on the left side of the front stone guard, and in the third photo, there is some kind of big white surround on the left front window. Together, these suggest that something bad might have happened to the left front corner of the unit. If so, it seems to have been well repaired as viewed from either inside or outside, but a detailed inspection in this area is in order.

I went to the NADA web site, clicked options as air conditioner and awning, and it popped up a value for average retail condition as $4340, so HarveyRV called that one just right. It would appear that $7K is quite a bit too much.

The big question, as always with units of this age, is the possibility of wood rot in the shell framing. Whoever looks at it would need to remove some of the lag screws from the lower edge of the front shell and look for solid wood.

Bill

berginc4
11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
You are all wonderful for putting in the time and effort to answer my question. This is the exact kind of advice I needed. Although you are all so knowledgeable you would know better than I if you inspected it, I am not sure I would know what to look for since my experience is with tent trailers. I think the thing to do is to be patient and put out more feelers and see if I can score something worth buying for $5 - 8K. I am handy and could repair most anything if I needed to. If you have any suggestions I am very open to them, thanks again.

Chuck

Wavery
11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Chuck,

You may want to check out some of these and get on the "alert" list:
http://www.oodle.com/vehicle/-/make_trailmanor/?s=price

mjlaupp
11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
It actually looks fairly clean and squared-away. The one thing I wondered about is that in the second photo, there is a blue tape patch on the left side of the front stone guard, and in the third photo, there is some kind of big white surround on the left front window. Together, these suggest that something bad might have happened to the left front corner of the unit. If so, it seems to have been well repaired as viewed from either inside or outside, but a detailed inspection in this area is in order......
Bill, It looks to me like the "white surround" is the normal TM wall for that area. It's partially paneled and part painted. It looks different in this model because of the colors used.
Mike

Bill
11-24-2009, 07:26 AM
You're probably right. But I'm not sure I see it on the right hand side ... Perhaps camera angle or lighting makes it less visible.

Bill

mjlaupp
11-24-2009, 10:25 AM
You don't see it on the right side because the paneling ends just past the exterior door.

Mike

arniland
11-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Chuck,

I had a similar situation several years ago in that area. I got the seller to take the TM to MCD RV Center on Cape Cod. I spoke with the folks there and paid them by credit card to give the unit an inspection. A few phone calls coordinated it all easily. It costs me less than $100 and saved me much grief. I didn't want to touch the unit after the two pages of serious defects they found. They are one of the older TM dealers, family owned and very good. I actually had them do some service on the unit I eventually bought some time later.
http://www.mcdcorp.com/
I'm sure that others on this forum will chime in. Even if you caught a cheap flight and had agreement beforehand that any sale would be contingent on an inspection after you got there and then went with the seller, you would be money and time ahead if you avoid a money pit.

Best of luck,

Arn