PDA

View Full Version : Tires unsafe?

Larryp1941
11-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I bought my 2720 in September and the PO had replaced the tires. I didn't check too closely as there was too much else to look for at the time. After further checking however I find they are load range C tires with a capacity of 1740 lbs at full 55lbs. I've researched tires on the forum until I'm blue in the face but haven't come up with a coclusive answer as to whether these tires are unsafe and should be replaced. I normally tow at 55 to 60 and keep them fully inflated.

If I choose to (or need to) upgrade, I think I'll go with the 14" Kuhmos. Seems the 205s give a very high load rating but most folks here are using the 195s. If I can get the 205s, will they fit the TM 14" rims ok?

2720SD
Toyota 4Runner

hsannerud
11-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes, no problem...IMHO a great improvement. Be sure to get them balanced and use metal valve stems!

ragmopp
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Tire Rack is where I got my 205's....They work perfectly on the stock rims.

Mike Anderson

ShrimpBurrito
11-19-2009, 08:14 AM
My 205's are on my stock rims as well. After about 2 years and thousands of miles, so far, so good.

Dave

Larryp1941
11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
How do most of you get your tires mounted? Will the tire shops mount tires on the TM just like a car? If so, is there any chance they'll mess something up i.e. jack it up by the axel or damage it on a lift?

ShrimpBurrito
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I removed the wheels myself and took them to the shop, had them mounted/balanced, and then brought them back home to put back on the TM. If you do take it some place, they'll just do it outside of a bay. Specify that it is to be jacked up by the frame, and then watch them to make sure they comply. You're going to have to help them anyway, as TM shells will have to be raised and the wheel well panels removed.

Dave

rumbleweed
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
If the tire mounting location is not too far away ( mine was 3 miles) I jacked up one side and took that side and the spare to the shop. When they were done I installed one on jacked up wheel. Then jacked up the other wheel and replaced the tire with the new one. I then took the 3rd tire in had it done and placed that in the spare carrier. An extra trip to the shop but can easily and safely be done with one jack.

wbmiller3
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I take the wheels off and take them in, it's just easier than maneuvering around my tire guy's place - the parking lot is small and cramped.

PopBeavers
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I removed the wheels myself and took them to the shop, had them mounted/balanced, and then brought them back home to put back on the TM. If you do take it some place, they'll just do it outside of a bay. Specify that it is to be jacked up by the frame, and then watch them to make sure they comply. You're going to have to help them anyway, as TM shells will have to be raised and the wheel well panels removed.

Dave

When we had a curb side blow out in July 2008 I was able to swap with the spare without popping the TM open and without removing the skirt.

I do have the factory lift kit on my 2005 TM 2720.

ShrimpBurrito
11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
When we had a curb side blow out in July 2008 I was able to swap with the spare without popping the TM open and without removing the skirt.

I do have the factory lift kit on my 2005 TM 2720.

I have the lift kit also, and have specifically tried to remove the tire with the shells down/skirt on. No luck.....maybe it's the year, model, or there's a really tight clearance and enough variance between individual units to make a difference.

Dave

ameridan
12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
The only way I've been able to install tires without removing skirts, is to let most of the air out first, install, then reinflate.

Scott O
12-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Have you considered going to a 15" wheel? That is what I did to get a larger margin of safety. Of course, I wasn't able to get the Kumho tires, which would have been my first choice.