PDA

View Full Version : You have to pay to use this site?

flashpoint
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
A bit off topic....but I am a signed up member, I can post toics reply ect ect, but 90% of the time when I try to click on a link like the one above in mtnguy's post I recieve the page that says I do not have permission to view it.. ?????? Am I not a member in full yet or something?

Wavery
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
A bit off topic....but I am a signed up member, I can post toics reply ect ect, but 90% of the time when I try to click on a link like the one above in mtnguy's post I recieve the page that says I do not have permission to view it.. ?????? Am I not a member in full yet or something?

Did you pay your subscription fee? It doesn't look like you did because it doesn't say that you are a "Site Sponsor" under your name.

Read this:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_membership

If you are a TM owner, it's well worth the $12 per year....

Bill
10-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Harveyrv has hit it. You signed up for a 30-day trial on September 22, and apparently have not taken the next step, so you are now listed as a Registered Guest.

Bill

flashpoint
10-29-2009, 12:44 AM
you have to PAY to use this site.....thats a joke right?

Larry Gault
10-29-2009, 06:27 AM
This site is well worth the $12 per year fee. There is a wealth of information here that won't be found anywhere else. It's very expensive to maintain a site like this.

mtnguy
10-29-2009, 06:40 AM
And no pop up ads.:D

I still pay my $12, and I don't even own a Trailmanor any more.

rumbleweed
10-29-2009, 07:38 AM
This software is used on thousands of forum sites. Go to one that is totally free and wade through the tons of ads and pop-ups for a few minutes and you will be writing your check for $12.00 in no time at all. Bandwidth and server storage cost $. If the users don't pay for it, then the advertisers have to and I certainly don't want that.

Bill
10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Flashpoint -

You mentioned that you are a member of several sites that are totally free to the user AND have no advertising. Can you give me a couple examples? I will contact the admins and ask how they pay for the initial purchase of the software (it is not free), the upgrades, the server and server space, the bandwidth, and so forth.

Perhaps some of them are manufacturer-supported, which is lovely but makes the content suspect. By contrast, this site receives no support (or even comment) from Trail Manor. We are free to say both good things and bad things about our Trail Manors and our experiences with the factory, tech support, and so forth - and we do.

Thanks for your help with this - we can all learn.

Bill

ThePair
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
$12/year is by far and away the greatest cost/benefit expense I've had for my TM...and that just about includes the TM itself!

Scott O
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
The only other site I am a member of is RVPics. Their yearly is $25 and well worth it. The operation of these lists has to be paid somehow. Either we pay, a manufacturer pays, or advertising pays. I prefer to keep it "we pay"! $1 a month isn't much considering the 24/7 access we have for all sorts of information on our TM.

Nature Recorder
10-30-2009, 06:11 AM
My 3 cents (a day).
That is about the daily cost at $12 a year.
This site is a labor of love (sometimes frustration) of the webmaster, the moderator(s) (which all donate their time) and all the contributing members in both postings and site sponserships.
This is a great site where you can ask "the dumb questions" and get honest answers. Where you can find other's solutions to problems you are having, and to discuss and share our experiences in a comfortable environment not cluttered by ads or "monitored" by a company sponser.

OneMoBear
10-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Brace yourself. The $12 is not the problem. It's all the money you will spend on the great suggestions you will find here! For example, we are ready to do the modification to quiet the AC and have never turned ours on! :p

rumbleweed
10-30-2009, 06:59 AM
I'll second that. Compared to all the stuff I "HAD" to buy because I saw it here $12 is nothing.

mcgyver210
10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm going to give you a look at both sides of paying.

I agree that $12.00 isn't much but no I don't agree it is nothing. As for some people having issue with this boards cost I can see both sides. There are very few boards that actually charge anything I am a member of & yes there are boards that have no advertising. The boards that normally are trying to make a few dollars or are manufacture sponsored are usually a paid board format such as vBulletin which is used here. Most of the free ones use one of the many free board formats available that IMO are just as good or better than Vbulletin. I actually have owned & run many boards over the years & have always run them on FREE board formats & web space I already have because of business which isn't that costly either. Another plus for FREE boards is they usually have a very large support group & lots of addons & from what I know of vBulletin are much easier to modify.

This could be why some of the premium paid boards even use the FREE ones not sure.

1. As for bandwidth this board most likely is hosted on shared hosting which now days bandwidth isn't as big of a deal as it used to be since. I myself have over 30 web sites & a few forum boards & have run them on shared hosting for years although next year I may move to a dedicated host.

2. Im sure this board does have a large data base disk size though. Which means when something goes wrong it is a pain to fix for Chris.

With all that said I pay the $12.00 & it is worth that amount IMO especially since Chris doesn't even own a TM anymore. Now if every board I am on had to be paid for I would not be a member of so many since even at $12.00 * 20 boards = $240.00 that would no longer be just a small amount or at least it wouldn't to me.

So why not risk $12.00 for one year of GREAT info on your TM even if you are like me & don't normally pay for boards.

PopBeavers
10-30-2009, 12:05 PM
fwiw...

This board consumes so much of my time, I do not have time to read any other boards.

Of the few boards that I do visit from time to time (2 motorcycle, dieselplace, 2 mountain biking and rv.net) this is the only one that is polite.

RV.NET got so bad I quit using it about 6 weeks ago.

I waste more than 12 bucks a week on coffee. This place is my mental health break. If it weren't so polite, I'd give it up.

AstroBruce
10-30-2009, 01:21 PM
So, What happened to the "Fridge Fan"?

OneMoBear
10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Ha! I was thinking the same thing but figured that surely that question was answered pages ago. ;)

flashpoint
10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
WOW! This sure took on a life of it's own didnt it!

Jim&Joan
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I, too, am a member of a few boards. I typically would not offer to pay as I tend to contribute as much as I get. One of the bigger boards is useless. Not only because of advertising, but the huge amalgamation of subscribers makes it too broadbased to be of any use. (10 questions, 12 answers.)

One board a bit more focused, just transitioned to advertisement based. Control (moderators, owners) also changed. The thing has gone down hill (towards example 1) in less than two months.

This board has provided me three years or more in cost savings which is normally not so obvious.

The other board that I am proud to be a member of is also very civil and somewhat local (regionally). The politeness means EVERYTHING in being of any value.

Being a member for TrailManor Owner's Pages = $12.00
Being polite = $Priceless

Tom n Deb
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Oops! We have used this site quite a few times and didn't realize that we needed to pay. We appreciate all the wonderful information that we have learned in researching purchasing a Trailmanor, putting up a wanted ad, etc. I will gladly pay $12.00 to stay plugged in to this great site and forum. Thanks

mcgyver210
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Oops! We have used this site quite a few times and didn't realize that we needed to pay. We appreciate all the wonderful information that we have learned in researching purchasing a Trailmanor, putting up a wanted ad, etc. I will gladly pay $12.00 to stay plugged in to this great site and forum. Thanks

You actually get 30 days full access then if you don't pay the site sponsor fee you will have limited access. So in reality you don't have to pay unless you want full access to all the real help.

I don't think Chris is getting rich from the site sponsor fees but I also don't know how many pay LOL

hhoenig
01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
How anyone could question the value of this site is beyond me. So, did Flashpoint ever sign up?

Larry Gault
01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I have to agree with you there.. well worth it..