PDA

View Full Version : refrigerator fan/ please explain

flashpoint
10-23-2009, 01:30 AM
I have no documentation on it so can someone please explain the purpose of the refriderator fan on my trailmanor. Can you run the frid safely without it on? Does it help cool? What does it do? Thanks in advance

Keith Wire
10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Hi flashpoint,

The refrigerator fan helps exhaust the hot air from the back of the unit. It is needed (must be running) when you run the refrigerator on DC with the TM folded down while traveling.

It can be used any time to improve the efficiency when it is up, but is only really necessary when the outside temperature goes over 80 degrees. And some people have noticed it helps when the sun is shining bright on that side of the camper.

It is a small 12 fan like the one in the back of a tower computer. It doesn't take much power, but if you are boondocking you may want to only use it if it gets really hot outside.

HTH, Keith

rumbleweed
10-23-2009, 06:41 AM
One clarification
The Fridge fan should be used any time the fridge is run with the TM closed no matter what power source is being used for the Fridge. Ie Running on AC in your driveway to cool down the fridge before packing up. When the TM is closed, the normal vents on the side of the TM are blocked by the upper sections of the TM. The fan draws the heated air out of the fridge back area and exhausts it through the bottom of the TM. If you look at the bottom of the TM just under the fridge, you can see the approx 6" hole covered with a screen and the fan inside.

flashpoint
10-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok...........that explains it.... Thank you so much.....I rarely if ever will run the fridge with the Trailmanor down. I have always found on any of my other RV's as long as you cool off the fridge before hand and keep the door shut it will remain cool enough while traveling from point to point without having to run it. I dont like traveling down the road with the propane on ect ect..just a personal choice. Again thank you for the reponses. I will keep in mind the point about running it on a hot day....thanks again....this board rocks!

flashpoint
10-23-2009, 10:47 AM
BTW: an afterthought. How well does the fridge run on 12v? How much power will the fridge and fan consume? I have an older Trailmanor that has only one battery. I plan on adding two new batts at the front of the trailer soon but for now I am limited on batt power. If the 12v function keeps the fridge cold then I guess it is a option I had not considered. I just now need a fail safe reminder to turn on the fan....LOL

Al-n-Sue
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
The fridge running on 12v will run down a battery (or a pair of batteries - 6v or 12v) in a few hours. The 12v setting is basically designed to run the fridge when you are towing and the TV supplies the 12v to the trailer.

It will run on 12v when plugged in to shore power. This is handy if you are preparign to leave and want to run the fridge overnight for an early departure - or run it all day for a quick after work getaway. However, you have to be able to plug in with the TM closed - something that is only possible with the later models with the new bumper or with a mod to the shore power plug.

mtnguy
10-23-2009, 03:15 PM
The fridge running on 12v will run down a battery (or a pair of batteries - 6v or 12v) in a few hours. The 12v setting is basically designed to run the fridge when you are towing and the TV supplies the 12v to the trailer.

It will run on 12v when plugged in to shore power. This is handy if you are preparign to leave and want to run the fridge overnight for an early departure - or run it all day for a quick after work getaway. However, you have to be able to plug in with the TM closed - something that is only possible with the later models with the new bumper or with a mod to the shore power plug.

Check out: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53&highlight=fridge&page=3 for a couple of innovative ideas on how to modify an older TM to be plugged in with the shells down. I modified my 2003 2720, and it worked great.

rotor_wash
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
You don't list your TV in the signature block, but if you have a GM product, you may not have the AUX charging circuit hooked up. GM has been doing this since at least 2003 and I know it affects the Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban and Avalanche models. This includes models sold with the trailering option. Very easy to hook up on your own, but without it, you can't charge the TM's batteries on the road or run the fridge on DC very long.

PopBeavers
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
fwiw, some people have reported that they can not run their TM fridge on 12 volts because their TV alternator does not supply enough power to the TM to run the fridge. This results in draining the TM batteries.

This is not eh fault of the TM. This is the fault of the TV. Common causes are:

1. Fuse (very common for GM) or some other reason causes no 12 volt power to the plug. Check with volt meter.
2. Bad connections somewhere in the TV wiring
3. Factory used under sized wire on the TV.

I can run my fridge and charge both TM batteries while driving down the road.

Bill
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
3. Factory used under sized wire on the TV.Wayne is right. Both of my Ford Explorers (2002 and 2007) have had inadequate wire size in the line to the trailer connector. Running a new #10 wire (power and ground) in parallel with the old one cures the problem. I suspect (but I don't know) that other Fords may have this same problem.

By the way, when the refrig (Norcold) in my 2006 TM is running on 12 volts, it has no thermostatic control. It runs 100% of the time! This tends to freeze everything in the refrigerator. Pretty dumb, huh? But pretty soon the battery runs down so far that the refrig begins to cool poorly, so that mitigates the problem.

Bill