PDA

View Full Version : Cable Tie Warning --

lnussbau
10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
This potentially affects every TM: We had one of the cables that runs up the torsion bar arms break loose on the road, resulting in a bit of wear on the cable and on the left tire. The cause was that all the cable ties holding it on had broken, and most had completely departed the TM.

Thankfully we'd just gone 2 or 3 miles, at most, since it came off -- I know because it had not been loose when we stopped for gas in Lusk, WY, but the damage had been done by the time we stopped for lunch at a roadside park, just 3 or 4 miles out of town. We were really lucky, because the wear on the cable was just through the outer cloth sheath and a small amount of insulation on one wire in the bundle, letting the ground shield show through. Nothing in the trailer was affected in its operation (whew!).

So I'm replacing ALL the cable ties, as well as repairing the cable bundle (plastic insulation spray and electrical tape, for now).

The cable ties are now on my new checklist, not only at trip start, but at each stop along the way, when I also check tires and general condition of everything.

AstroBruce
10-06-2009, 04:36 PM
I have replaced all the outside wire ties. I will replace them each Spring. They are obviously not for outside UV exposure.

Larry Gault
10-06-2009, 04:58 PM
You can buy ones made for outdoor use.
Nylon 6/6 – UV Stabilized UV Stabilized Nylon 6/6 is used in continuous or extended exposure to outdoor sunlight. The nylon cable tie is a weather resistant grade, enduring additional ultraviolet (UV) light. This grade is produced by incorporating stabilizers in the nylon resin. UV Stabilized Nylon cable ties are available only in black.

commodor47
10-06-2009, 05:37 PM
lnussbau,

Thanks for the heads-up. I have had occasion to replace those cable ties -while set up. But have never had all the cables fail at the same time. Fortunately I noticed the broken ties before hitting the road. We carry extra cable ties as part of our tool box items.

Dick