PDA

View Full Version : Storing the TM...

Redhawk
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
A few questions for the pros...

- When storing my TM in the outdoor storage area, I have it covered so the Solar Panel isn't working much, should i disconnect the battery between trips or not worry about it till winter storage?

[Tires question moved to a separate thread in the Tires forum]

Thanks........

grakin
08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I have no idea about the tires, but others have talked about that.

As for the solar panel, if you have the factory panel with a charge controller like I do (a solar panel control panel by the sink), you probably don't need to cover it - I leave mine uncovered so that the battery stays fully charged. The charge controller is smart enough not to cook the battery, and doing this seems to me to be better for the battery than letting the battery discharge (which it will do even when disconnected, albeit slower than while connected). It's like leaving the TM on a float charger.

rumbleweed
08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
One solution is a Deltran battery Tender. It it will keep the battery charged and not overcharge it. It will be perfect for over the winter storage as well. If you are only talking a few weeks between trips, a Battery disconnect switch is a simple solution.

Redhawk
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
I cover the TM, so the battery won't be charging. No electric to run the Tender, but I will remove the batteries over the winter and keep the tender on them in my garage.

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about it and keep it connected. Maybe add an outside switch to disconnect the battery. Where are people adding the switch?
Thanks again.

Al-n-Sue
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
John - see my post at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=62400#post62400
with a picture of my switch installation.

kenngeri2720
08-20-2009, 11:36 AM
John,
I went on the Web site for the solar controller and copied the user manual and if memory serves me it states that if the solar panel is not used for 2 week or longer disconnect it. So what have done the pass to winter storage is to pull the two 30 amp fuse from the front of the control panel and put the batteries in the garage .