PDA

View Full Version : Dollies to move your TM

bell
08-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Where do I look for help on picking an electric dollies?I have a 2720 LS.

Canoe719
08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
We have a hand dolly that we use to manuever our 2720SD in and around our driveway. Not sure what you mean by an electric dolly.

rumbleweed
08-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Search the Forum for Powermover . There are two major companies making power dollies, there is a lot of info here if you search. I have a hand dolly and a Powermover. The hand dolly works if the area you are moving the TM is very level. The power dolly works in grades up to about 4 degrees ( limited by traction not power) but for your TM run about $1000.

freein05
08-14-2009, 09:02 PM
I got the Power Mover

I works great for moving the TM into the garage. We could not do that if it were not for the Power Mover. It is electric and attaches to the TM brakes which is a good safety feature. It is well built and I have had no problems with it. When I talked to them they said I should get model with three wheels I think I could have used the smaller model.

dw8ite
10-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a "Power Caster" Model PC-1 that retails for $895. I purchased it with my 2027SL, but as it turns out, I don't need it. My drive way has very little slope. If interested in purchasing, email me at [email protected].

bell
10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I purchased a model pc2 early today. thanks for the help.

dw8ite
10-13-2009, 09:11 PM
That's me...a day late and a dollar short. :)

Don White

Wavery
10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
OK....OK.....with all this dolly talk, I went out and bought one of those big tire trailer dollies. It does move the trailer a lot easier than using the tongue jack wheel.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n73ma3p45Oc5Q35R69a9f87b0a92addc10f2.jpg

Philip
10-15-2009, 03:52 PM
OK....OK.....with all this dolly talk, I went out and bought one of those big tire trailer dollies. It does move the trailer a lot easier than using the tongue jack wheel.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n73ma3p45Oc5Q35R69a9f87b0a92addc10f2.jpg

Hello Carolyn & Wayne,

I noticed the picture of your dolly and I wanted to ask how big, diameter, are the wheels. Could you tell me its capacity and brand - also where you purchased it from?

Thank you for the help,

Phil Friess

2008 2720
TV 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8.

Wavery
10-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello Carolyn & Wayne,

I noticed the picture of your dolly and I wanted to ask how big, diameter, are the wheels. Could you tell me its capacity and brand - also where you purchased it from?

Thank you for the help,

Phil Friess

2008 2720
TV 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8.
This is the one that I bought but I found it on www.craigslist.com for $20......like new.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37510

I changed the ball to a 2". Using the 1 7/8" ball seems a little dangerous to me. If the handle tips forward, it could fly up (out of control, kinda like stepping on a rake) and the trailer could fall to the floor. I also put a 3/4" spacer under the ball so that the dolly tire can fit under the frame.

Philip
10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
This is the one that I bought but I found it on www.craigslist.com for $20......like new.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37510

I changed the ball to a 2". Using the 1 7/8" ball seems a little dangerous to me. If the handle tips forward, it could fly up (out of control, kinda like stepping on a rake) and the trailer could fall to the floor. I also put a 3/4" spacer under the ball so that the dolly tire can fit under the frame.

Wayne,

Thank you for the information. I purchased this same dolly from Harbor Freight and both the wheel rims bent the first time I used it on my 2720. I will say I used it on a gravel/dirt driveway road surface which was not quite level and we had a hard time getting the TM to move. The tires wanted to roll under the rim as I tried to turn the TM. Perhaps I did not have enough air in them but I had close to the max pressure in them. My tires are 4" dia rims.

From now on I plan to only move the TM with the dolly when on a level asphalt surface. Perhaps I will be OK on this surface.

Take care,

Phil Friess

Wavery
10-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Wayne,

Thank you for the information. I purchased this same dolly from Harbor Freight and both the wheel rims bent the first time I used it on my 2720. I will say I used it on a gravel/dirt driveway road surface which was not quite level and we had a hard time getting the TM to move. The tires wanted to roll under the rim as I tried to turn the TM. Perhaps I did not have enough air in them but I had close to the max pressure in them. My tires are 4" dia rims.

From now on I plan to only move the TM with the dolly when on a level asphalt surface. Perhaps I will be OK on this surface.

Take care,

Phil Friess
The dolly that I have has 6.5" diameter rims 4" wide and the tires are 12" tall. It moves the trailer quite effortlessly on the garage cement floor with 30# of air in the tires.

The rated weight of the dolly is 600# (with 30# of air) my tongue weight is 500#. That's pretty close. I can see where trying to run it on dirt might over-stress the thing.

The problem with these small cheap tires is that you must check the air before using. When I 1st got it, 1 tire had 15# of air and the other had about 5#. I would say, that with that much air, the tires would support 1/2 the rated weight.

mtnguy
10-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Wayne,

I purchased this same dolly from Harbor Freight and both the wheel rims bent the first time I used it on my 2720. I will say I used it on a gravel/dirt driveway road surface which was not quite level and we had a hard time getting the TM to move.

Take care,

Phil Friess

I had the same thing happen to 1 of those dolly wheels, on pavement. The tires were inflated properly. Northern Tools sent another wheel, but after a long delay because of low inventory (other people having the same problem, maybe??). And needless to say, the wheels had to come from China......which might have been the problem in the 1st place. :rolleyes:

BrianS
10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I have used the 600# Harbor Freight dolly for two years,no problems since I filled the tires with "SLIME" and aired them up.

joe&Nance
11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
That's me...a day late and a dollar short. :)

Don White

Too bad I didn't think 2 read this b4 went 2 TX 2 pick up my 2720sl!!! Turns out DH is talking about getting one now.
Nance