PDA

View Full Version : seniors and TM's...

2swans
10-15-2001, 07:11 AM
;) looking to purchas a TM--wondering if any of you owners are over 55 yrs.--are TM's a bit much to handle for the older set? a TM dealer told us he liked the HILo for the older set--but i tho't some of you might have a real accurate answer!  thanks so much--2swans.

10-15-2001, 12:01 PM
We are in our 50's.  We find that closing requires more effort than setting up.  Try one yourself and see if you think it takes more effort that you expected.  You will probably save a lot of weight if you choose a TrailManor over a HiLo, but you need to review the various differences.  We have spent almost 100 nights in our TrailManor in only 22 months.  If we made a lot of one night stops, I would probably choose the HiLo or TowLite.

MMARFISI
10-15-2001, 05:28 PM
We are in our "late" 50's and have absolutly no problem handling the TM.  If you work together from eash side of the trailer you will find things are very easy.  Not to worry!

Mike & Cherry

10-16-2001, 06:54 AM
My husband and I are in our mid-sixties and have no problems using our TM3023 asociated with our age--I recently towed ours 1500 miles ALONE, and set it up, and closed it down ALONE! Closing down did require more effort than I had anticipated :o since I had to climb onto the roof to get it closed down completely  , but Chris Bauer and other owners have had some helpful thoughts :D about the causes of my problems with that particular situation and I am sure they are right!  (You can view this exchange on the thread I started here on the board about this subject)

The Hi-Lo is a good product and an interesting RV but we ultimately chose the TM for lighter weight and better use of space for our particular needs (We REALLY wanted to keep our current tow vehicle, and it handled the 3023 in the Smokies with no problems.)  As so many others have commented, it all boils down to what is of most importance to you at the time you purchase your RV.

10-16-2001, 10:01 AM
We recently attended a trailmanor rally.  My wife and I are mid to late 50's (she's the mid!).  The vast majority of the people attending were at least as old as us, and some were considerably older.

10-16-2001, 03:09 PM
we are 60 and 63 years old.  we have had our TM for 9 months now  and have put a lot of miles on it. we really love it and it is the best.  When we first got it we had to get aquainted with it and did have a few problem opening and closing it, but, with practice, its became quite easy. I have no problem with towing and setting up myself now (it is easier with the 2 of us though). the lightness, the size and all the comfort makes it worth while in the long run. ask a dealer to let you set one up a few times to see if you can do it. It does get easier the more you do it.   good luck in what ever type you buy.   betty   :)

2swans
10-17-2001, 08:14 AM
;Dthanks to each of you for the reassurance. unfortunately, our closest dealer is 500 miles away, so i'll take ya'll's word for it! dennis, in our family, husband's the 55 and i'm the 58!! so glad when he turned 55(Sept. 11,2001, of all days), so i could call him senior, too!! then, this week we saw a tv program on calf roping for seniors, and the guy said" 55 to 57 is "seniors" and 58 on up is "SUPER seniors" division!!! i'm threatening to punish hubby if he uses the "super senior" tag!!(or make him buy me a NEW TM, rather than used).thanks again,

2swans

06-17-2003, 01:15 PM
2swains -

In going over the older posts, I ran across your post about 50 year olds purchasing a TM.  Your question gave us a good laugh.  My wife and I just bought our first TM (2619, 2003)and both of us are 72.  We've taken two trips and find no difficulty opening and closing the unit.  For example, during the time my wife went to the rest room at a rest stop, I opened the TM, check the inside for the fan light, closed the unit and my wife never saw me open or close it--it only took me about 5 minutes to open, check, and close.

Every other activity connected with the unit (water hook-up, electrical hook-up, etc.) is the same as if you owned a BIG class A motorhome.  Don't let your youth (50 yr old) stop you from owning a TM.

I'm retiring in two weeks, and our plans are to spend the next few years traveling the country in our TM.

Come to think of it -- maybe there ought to be a special interest group of those 70 or older.  Somehow, I don't think that my wife and I are the oldest owners of a TM.

Of those of you who read this post, how many are 70 or older?

efelker
06-17-2003, 01:37 PM
... gray power rules!!!  (From a charter member of the club).  

I was a bit concerned too until I tried one at Bryant's in PA.  Learned that the "snap, crackle, and pop" I hear in the morning that's not coming from the cereal bowl won't be a handicap.

Happytrails
06-17-2003, 01:49 PM
It is interesting to see what the Swans posted a while back, I remember when they were choosing their TM. I'm 35, Karen's 38, but she is disabled with Huntington's disease, we still manage just fine with ours!   ;D

Happytrails.........