PDA

View Full Version : Where's the jack??!!

WI pair
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Concerned that a jack was not included with Elkmont. Gosh, what if we had had a flat. That should be standard equipment. The dealer we bought ours from doesn't even carry a bottle jack, the one that was recommended. :confused::mad:

Al-n-Sue
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
As far as I know a jack is not part of the equipment on any TM. I just bought a 2 ton bottle jack at Sears last week. $14. Also make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit the TM wheels - I found out the trailers typically have a different size lug nut than most cars or trucks!

kenngeri2720
08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I think that is something lacking with all RV manufactures, I bought a six ton at Wal-Mart that goes to 16 ½ “. That is not enough to jack the Elkmont with it’s 15” tires off the ground. That being said you will need some wood or as I did the lynx leveler to set the jack on. Remember to jack close to the axel, but not under it. One last thing is that once you have the wheels off the ground your stabilizers will not touch the ground so you will need to put some of the Lynx under those as well. Sounds like a lot of extra gear, but should make it safer.

rumbleweed
08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Not sure what model / year you have, but the Lug size is most likely 13/16. Suggest a T handle as it gives you leverage on lugs that may be stuck. when choosing a bottle jack, make sure it will extend enough to lift the TM high enough to get the tire back on. Don't depend on the jack in your TV

jhill30
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I agree, should be standard equipment. But on the other hand, who has ever owned a trailer of any kind that a jack came with it?

PopBeavers
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
When we had a flat last summer with the TM 2720 I just used the corner jacks on that side.

Not sure about the Elkmont.

RogerR
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
We had two flats with our 14 inch marathons on the interstate. Both times I couldn't get the trailer up far enough with the corner jacks. I did use the car scissors jack which almost every car and a stack of timber. I also carry an X-bar for the lug nuts.

B_and_D
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
We carry a floor jack and a bottle jack and lots of wood blocks of different sizes. We've had to scrounge for boards, rocks, etc. on the side of the road for a bit more height one too many times. One time we had to use big lava rocks to jack up our truck with a camper on it. That was scary. We do have Good Sam but I don't want to sit on the side of a road waiting for someone to come help us for 3 hours, I just want to change the tire and get on with the trip.

Scott O
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
If you have skirts covering the wheel wells, be sure to get the goofy (not a technical term!) screw driver needed to get it off.

voyager2
08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Material included with our Elkmont specifically warns against using the trailer jacks for changing a tire. We also purchased a big bottle jack and cut lots of wood blocks. The Elkmont jacks are listed as "stabilizer only". Also, the first thing we did was throw away those fender skirt screws and replace them with stainless steel phillips head screws. You can always find a phillips screwdriver!

ColdFlame
08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Aren't those "goofy" screws Robertson #2 screw heads? (ie: square ones)?

Those are the norm in Canada (and were invented by a Canadian, likely why they're not widely used in the US). Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver) a bit of info on them for you! =)

With regards to the rest, I have a bottle jack I carry as well. I made sure to buy one that goes up plenty high enough with a little help from some of the 2x6"'s I use to level the trailer when parked.

larsdennert
08-25-2009, 07:27 PM
http://67.122.16.97/lars/misc/tm/TM%20JACKS.pdf

Corner Jacks are rated to 5000lb each. I can't imagine lifting that much with them though.

PopBeavers
08-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I have lifted the curb side of my TM 2720 by using just the two corner jacks.

I tried using the jack from the truck, but it did not go up high enough. I suppose I could have put my Lego blocks under it.

I was not able to lift it using my cordless drill. I had to use the hand crank. It was not too difficult. In fact, I think I can spin the hand crank faster than I could pump a bottle jack, so I think the hand crank is faster than any hydraulic bottle jack that I have ever owned.

My TM only weighs about 4,100 pounds loaded.