PDA

View Full Version : Why would I NOT want to buy a 1997 3023 ?

ProspectiveOwner
07-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Wife, daughter, and I are looking for our 1st camper .... we looked at Chalet's a bit, but just weren't sold on them...then we discovered TrailManors....We want one ... but, considering we've never really camped before, I don't want to make too big a purchase at first... Like to get a nice used one for a year or 2 to find out what we REALLY want down the road .... I have found a 97 3023 for sale.... what are some of the reasons I wouldn't want to buy this model ? known problems ? TIA

Wavery
07-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Wife, daughter, and I are looking for our 1st camper .... we looked at Chalet's a bit, but just weren't sold on them...then we discovered TrailManors....We want one ... but, considering we've never really camped before, I don't want to make too big a purchase at first... Like to get a nice used one for a year or 2 to find out what we REALLY want down the road .... I have found a 97 3023 for sale.... what are some of the reasons I wouldn't want to buy this model ? known problems ? TIA

There is nothing wrong with the model in and of itself. It all depends on the condition.

We have a '98 2720 and we are thrilled with it. We bought it with the exact same intention. We figured we camp with it for awhile, then buy a later model. However, now that we have it, we're quite satisfied with it.

The later models have all aluminum tube frames but that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the wood frames as long as you keep them caulked. The later models also the AC on the front roof.

Like any other 12-year-old camper, check all of the appliances and be sure that they work. Have the owner show you that it opens easily. Check the manufacturer date on the tires (figure on replacing them if they're 5+ years old).

B_and_D
07-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Our 97 TM is still going strong, it was almost immaculate when we bought it 6 years ago. Like previously stated, just make sure everything works and it opens and closes OK. It isn't as pristine now, but everything still works fine except the A/C, it died and we didn't need it so we took it out and put in a microwave instead.

I condensed some threads about "what to check for in a used TM" a while back, I guess it's still a work in progress as I haven't worked on it in a while (been too busy having fun in the TM camping :)).

Here's that thread:

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8878