View Full Version : How hot is it in Texas

Larry Gault
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg226/larrygault/104_0084.jpg

carlnkathy
07-23-2009, 03:24 PM
The last few days in Dallas have been reasonable, but the two weeks before were in the 100's on a daily basis. It is not comfortable camping to my way of thinking.
CarlnKathy

PopBeavers
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
When it is that hot hear in San Jose we go camping in the Sierras. Above 5,000 feet it is not bad. If I want cooler I can go up closer to 9 to 10k feet.

But, sadly, it is a 3 hour drive to get there.

Al-n-Sue
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
When we lived in the Dallas area (27 years worth!) camping season for us was March through May - and Memorial Day most of the time was unbearable! Remember the summer of 1980 when we had 50 days straight of 100+ degrees?

And no camping in the fall - that is football season! If we were lucky we could get away to Colorado during the summer. Now I live here. How great is that!:D

Wish we'd had a TM then - we could have extended camping season a bit!

Bill
07-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Bah! You Texans are wimpy! For the last several days in Phoenix, it has been 107 degrees and raining! That humidity really kicks up the discomfort factor - that's why we go to Maine, so we can email the folks in Phoenix and say nyah nyah!

Bill

O2BOutside
07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I live in the Central Valley in California. Most folks think California is mild weather most of the time. That is not true were I live. We are into our third week of above 100. We hit 112 last week. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada outside of Kings Canyon/Sequioa National Parks and it can be in the 100's there. I try to head to higher elevation as much as possible. Takes me about 40 minutes to get above 9,000 ft. Lucky me! :)

PopBeavers
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I live in the Central Valley in California. Most folks think California is mild weather most of the time. That is not true were I live. We are into our third week of above 100. We hit 112 last week. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada outside of Kings Canyon/Sequioa National Parks and it can be in the 100's there. I try to head to higher elevation as much as possible. Takes me about 40 minutes to get above 9,000 ft. Lucky me! :)Of they countless places I have been to in 56 years of living in California, the best overall weather across the year is in San Jose and San Diego.

Not too hot for the most part.
Not too cold for the most part.
Cleaner air than the LA basin.

Which explains why it is so darned crowded in San Jose.

rumbleweed
07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Al-n-Sue

When did Texas get a football team?:D

Larry Gault
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Bah! You Texans are wimpy! For the last several days in Phoenix, it has been 107 degrees and raining! That humidity really kicks up the discomfort factor - that's why we go to Maine, so we can email the folks in Phoenix and say nyah nyah!

Bill

Bill here in Austin I have logged several days so far this summer @ 110. We have had no less than 6 weeks of over 100 degrees so far and very little rain. The humidity usually gets down to 30-35% by 4PM but hot is hot no matter how you look at it. We're in a 3 year drought and this year has been a record breaking summer and it ain't even August yet.. Oh & I'm going camping next weekend come hell or high water..we'll just get in the water or stay in the AC when it gets unbearable.

Al-n-Sue
07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Actually - I grew up in Oklahoma so I'm a huge Sooners fan. Boomer Sooner!!:D

Bill
07-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Larry -

I didn't make my point clear, I guess, not that it really matters. Throughout the southwest, we always hear "But it's a dry heat!" And to some extent that is accurate. Through much experience, my wife and I have come to the conclusion that the lack of humidity is worth about 15 degrees of temperature. So 105 in Phoenix (or Austin) feels like about 90 here in Maine.

But when it is raining - 100% percent humidity! - it is no longer a dry heat, and there is no "discount" on temperature. So sure enough, 105 and raining in Phoenix feels like 105 in Maine. Of course, Maine never gets to 105, whereas Phoenix, like most of the desert southwest, gets there routinely.

Monsoon season in Arizona is a challenge for those who live there.

Bill

Bluegrass
07-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Time to get out the "It's so hot" jokes:

It's so hot, the birds have to use pot-holders to yank worms out of the ground!

It's so hot that farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice so they don't lay hard boiled eggs!

It's so hot my seat belt buckle turned into a branding iron!

It's so hot, I saw two trees fighting over a dog!

It's so hot, I ate jalapenos to cool my mouth down!

It's so hot, I went to the CIA and asked to be waterboarded!

Here in Utah, the weather is 95 and hazy, kinda like our two Senators.

Cheers!

Keith (who is packing the TM to head up American Fork Canyon for some cooler campgrounds.)