PDA

View Full Version : Storge - Open or Closed?

dschlieder
07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I have room where I park my TM on my side yard to leave it open between use.

Of course it needs to be opened to load it when getting ready for a trip and then it must be closed to tow it.

And when you get back from a trip, you'll open it to unload.

But between trips - and I can't see why not - there shouldn't be any reason to close it, other than maybe space issues or local zoning laws, etc.

Get back from a trip, open it to unload and clean and leave it that way until you are ready to leave on your next trip.

Just curious - am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Wavery
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
The only thing that come to me immediately is the weather exposure to the lower half of the trailer.

My TM is a '98. The top roof half shows it's age. The lower part of the trailer still looks like new. I'm at the stage where I am considering removing my decals from the roofs and painting them.

On the positive side, the torsion bars would be "Unloaded" with the tops up. However, we hear very few issues with the torsion bars anyway.

P and B
07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I have found that you get fewer rodents in the TM when it's open. This is probably because you tend to go into more so they sense your presence. They can do some serious damage so it's worth it to keep it open to me. I've been closing it up in the winter and putting a cover on it but last year we had mice. I had put poison on the floor and mothballs (won't do that again). I think it kept them from doing any really serious damage but we had to take everything out and clean things since you could tell that they were all over the place.

Phil

mjlaupp
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I have always stored my TMs open and uncovered. The top overhang protects the lower half from the weather; front, back and sides.
Mike

ng2951
07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I store our 3326 open. I can make believe I am camping in the driveway.

Alvega007
07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I store our 3023 opened during the camping season. During Winter I take everything out clean it, close it, cover it.

dschlieder
07-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

And the keep it open to keep the rodents out - I didn't think of that!

Just figuring it all out. Picked it up Saturday in Redding CA from a dealer that didn't know much about it. I explained the toilet to the guy who gave me the walk through!

Been thinking about getting one for years and finally took the plunge. I knew some of the idiosyncrasies as I have been lurking here for some time.

Took 2 days to go the 670 miles south in I-5 home. Boy we picked the wrong weekend! 105 or so most of the time. No major issues at all and the XYL even took a swing at it - had to get on her case to slow down after awhile as she started getting too confident and had us going at 70 for a bit!

Took it slow up the Grapevine - had to drop to second, turn the air off and hold a steady speed but the old truck just chugged along. May have been able to leave the air on but wanted to be on the safe side.

Replacing some of the zip ties that had rotted out with some nice stainless steal aircraft wire clamps, cleaning, polishing, tightening, inspecting, learning, etc.

Seems to be a LOT of glue residue on the inside - only thing I found to get it off is the Mr. Clean Eraser - everything else I have tried so far seems to get through the paint too fast. Not sure if this is factory mess that didn't show till it turned yellow over time or a owner who got sloppy fixing things. But as many and varied places I have this residue I suspect from the factory.

Someone over time ran some self drilling/tapping screws right up the middle of the bumper - so guess what! The hose was full of holes and rips trying to get it out. So I spent some time moving those to the edge of the bumper and even at that I still busted them off inside to be safe before putting the new hose in.

Trying to figure out how old the tires are and if I should replace them - they have a lot of tread but based on the minimal wear and tear on the unit, I am suspecting that they may be the originals.

Thanks again ya-all!

Wavery
07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Trying to figure out how old the tires are and if I should replace them - they have a lot of tread but based on the minimal wear and tear on the unit, I am suspecting that they may be the originals.

Check the date code on the tires. Tread means very little on trailer tires. They die of old age long before the tread is used up....;)

Bill
07-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Someone ran some self drilling/tapping screws right up the middle of the bumper - so guess what! The hose was full of holes and rips trying to get it out. So I spent some time moving those to the edge of the bumper and even at that I still busted them off inside to be safe before putting the new hose in.I experienced the same thing with my 2002 TM. As I recall, it was the screws that held the nylon turn-latches for the bumper cover, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I just unscrewed the offending screws, clipped off the part that was protruding inside, and put them back. Seemed to work, and was easier than redrilling-rescrewing.

XYL? You gotta be a ham, right? Probably a brass-pounder?

Bill

dschlieder
07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Check the date code on the tires. Tread means very little on trailer tires. They die of old age long before the tread is used up....;)

Been looking for the codes - been reading all the threads on tires, age, blowout stories, etc. They must be on the inside of the tires they way they were mounted as I can't locate anything that makes any sense yet on the outside.

I figured if they were the originals I'd be looking to replace them soon, especially before a long trip. I was worried on the trip down because of the heat, but I kept a good eye on them and checked for any bulging.

Lots to do on the list!

Thanks!

dschlieder
07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
XYL? You gotta be a ham, right? Probably a brass-pounder?

Bill

CB'er from the early 70's when they were the rage - then a truck driver in the late 70's.

Been a ham for about 15 years now - but don't use it much anymore. My Dad told me he'd buy the 2m radio if I got my license. At the time he lived about 40 miles away so we talked every day on my drive to/from work. But I've been out of work for a year now so we just talk on the phone - plus he's only a few miles away now.

Have a great day!