PDA

View Full Version : How to Flush Bugs Out of FRESH water lines?

camp_in_pa
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a 1998 2518 and am finally getting it ready for summer camping. Last winter I flushed and drained all the water but I left all the drains open all winter. Now I have bugs or spiders that have made a home in the cold water lines!

I managed to disassemble both the kitchen and bathroom faucets and got 6-8 bug chunks out (big enough they barely lit through the hose but wouldn't go through the faucet). My problem now is the shower.

Hot water flows through the shower but the cold water is almost totally blocked with debris. I can't figure out how to get to the connections on the shower control!

I took off both handles and the top of the shower leaving me with a piece of white PVC that is somehow attached to the backsplash.

I have tried blasting air from an air compressor from the shower into the control with the cold full open, but it doesn't budge whatever is blocking it.

Any words of wisdom on how to clear the blockage would be appreciated. I am eager to go camping!

Thanks,

Dean

camp_in_pa
06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Success!

In case anyone decides to try this, here is what I did.

On the half wall on which the shower mixer valve (faucet) is mounted, there are 2 screws. I removed the 2 screws and gently pulled this wall away from the side of the camper (yes, it pulled off the caulk).

With the wall away from the side of the camper I was able to get my hand back there and remove the fixture. I then turned on the pump and flushed out all kinds of crud.

Nature Recorder
06-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Way to go.

In looking to the future...
Other then closing the valve, anyone have any ideas how to prevent this from happening in the first place? I know bugs can get pretty much anywhere if they want to.

rumbleweed
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Be aware that despite your best efforts, you will always have about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of your water tank. This is because the drain valve is on the side of the tank and not on the bottom due to mounting method. This means that over time you can develop various types of crud in the tank. My solution on my TM and my previous TT is to cut a 5 or 6 inch hole in the top center of the water tank and fit ( and seal) it with a deck plate from a marine store. This allows you to get a wet dry vac in on returning home to totally empty it and also get your hand in to clean it should it be necessary. Also when you drain the HW tank after a trip, open the Hot water faucet to allow it to totally drain. Also clean out your hot waater tank and check replace annode annually.

garyandrene5047
05-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Just brought the 2720sl out of storage for summer camping trip and can't get water to run from kitchen faucets. Bathroom shower works great, bathroom faucet a bit low flow and kitchen absolutely nothing. Water pump seems to work well but does sound a bit odd but not anything that would raise concern. Any ideas about what may be the problem or anyone have any solutions. Leaving in 4 days, maybe! Thanks Roslyn!

rvcycleguy
05-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Just brought the 2720sl out of storage for summer camping trip and can't get water to run from kitchen faucets. Bathroom shower works great, bathroom faucet a bit low flow and kitchen absolutely nothing. Water pump seems to work well but does sound a bit odd but not anything that would raise concern. Any ideas about what may be the problem or anyone have any solutions. Leaving in 4 days, maybe! Thanks Roslyn!

No pressure with city water connection or on board water pump or both? Maybe the sink aerator screen is dirty. Screw it off like the kitchen faucet at home.

garyandrene5047
05-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for getting back with me so quickly. Just removed/cleaned aerator from kitchen sink - still have no sound of water advancement from the tank to the kitchen faucets. Water pump activated and pumps water to bathroom but again, not to kitchen faucet. Turned hot and cold water spigots on and complete silence.

rvcycleguy
05-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks for getting back with me so quickly. Just removed/cleaned aerator from kitchen sink - still have no sound of water advancement from the tank to the kitchen faucets. Water pump activated and pumps water to bathroom but again, not to kitchen faucet. Turned hot and cold water spigots on and complete silence.

Thanks. I'm still curious if you attach a garden hose to the city water fitting on the outside. Will city pressure change the lack of water at the faucet? I realize your shower is working though. I'm just using a process of elmination aspect. Only other check is a shutoff valve under the sink but I'm not aware of one. City water does not run through the pump.

garyandrene5047
05-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Removed regulator(s) from both the bathroom and kitchen faucet(s) and noticed the sprayer on the sink was cracked. When I removed the sprayer and covered the top of it with my thumb, water pressure returned to the kitchen faucet and I had my water back. Bathroom faucet running much better after cleaning aerator and completely removing the regulator. Going to Depot today to get a sprayer replacement. Think that was the problem. Also, cannot get any water pressure now at the outdoor shower unit. Any suggestions there?

rvcycleguy
05-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Removed regulator(s) from both the bathroom and kitchen faucet(s) and noticed the sprayer on the sink was cracked. When I removed the sprayer and covered the top of it with my thumb, water pressure returned to the kitchen faucet and I had my water back. Bathroom faucet running much better after cleaning aerator and completely removing the regulator. Going to Depot today to get a sprayer replacement. Think that was the problem. Also, cannot get any water pressure now at the outdoor shower unit. Any suggestions there?

It does sound like you've started to understand the issue. The outdoor shower hose may be in a bind. The hose reel area there is tight and compact to say the least.