PDA

View Full Version : Rain Noise

Rich and Bonnie DiGiulio
06-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Has anyone found a solution to minimize the roof noise when it rains?

commodor47
06-12-2009, 06:39 AM
DenandSue found an easy way to dampen the sound by placing a fairly thick blanket on the roof. Haven't tried it - but seems like it would help reduce the rain noise.

Dick

AstroBruce
06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Ear Plugs.

Bill
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Actually, I love the rain noise. This may be because when I was a kid, my folks had a cabin on a lake in Maine, and the sound of rain on the roof put me to sleep on many nights. It was kind of a soothing white-noise sort of thing. So it's all in perception, I guess.

Bill

Scott O
06-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I agree with Bill. Living in rain deprived SoCal, the beating of rain on the roof is music to us. Now if it rained for a week or so I probably would be looking for a blanket...

countrygirl
06-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree with Bill and Scott. We love the sound and if it raining will go sit in it just to hear it.

Wavery
06-12-2009, 05:22 PM
RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's that??????? What does it sound like????:confused:

bfezel
06-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm another Bill who loves the rain noise. We were on a trip out West in 2007 and were in some major thunderstorms a couple of nights. The wife wasn't crazy about that but the TM was stable and snug even in the worst storm.

Steverino
08-04-2009, 08:41 PM
While I generally like the sound of rain (and will often open windows at home to hear it better), the aluminum roof skin on the TM seems to amplify sounds of rain & falling tree detritus in a very staccato fashion. We just got back from a trip where we were parked under some pine & oak trees. Lemme tell ya, acorns from 50 feet up will wake you every time ! Same with the rain.

I was thinking about the possibility of getting some white EPDM rubber roofing material and gluing sheets of it on top of the aluminum roof skin. I would think it should deaden the impact of rain / falling stuff.

Any opinions?

Steve

mcgyver210
08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
It has rained on all of our trips & I can say I have slept the best when it is raining but what do I know Im not even bothered by the AC running.

PopBeavers
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
It will not rain again until after Halloween.

Since 1986, it has never rained at my house on Halloween. Damp fog once, but never rain.

I like the sound of a light rain on the roof. I have never camped in heavy rain.

The blanket ida has some merit. I would suggst something that won't hold a lot of water, so don't use cotton. Use something synthetic. Otherwise it is going to rather heavy. It may not damage he roof, but you probably will net to remove it to go home before it dries out in the sun.

Wavery
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
OH!!!!! to hear rain drops on the roof of our TM......what a joy that would be.....to each his own I guess.....:D

rumbleweed
08-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Rain on the roof. Isn't that part of camping?

As for the thick blanket, I would be cautious doing that as a thoroughly soaked blanket that covered the entire roof would add considerable weight and could impact closing properly.

ShrimpBurrito
08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Being in SoCal, I too would love to hear the sound of rain on the roof. :D

Dave

Beak12
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's that??????? What does it sound like????:confused:

Wayne,
Did anyone ever tell you what rain is? I sure would like to know myself.

JOhn

Wavery
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Wayne,
Did anyone ever tell you what rain is? I sure would like to know myself.

JOhn

It's starting to come back to me..........I'm thinking memories from.......aaaaaaaaaaa........maybe 1983 :rolleyes:

B_and_D
08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
We spent the night in Yosemite in October about 5 years ago with the rain POURING down. And I mean, it was LOUD. We could hardly sleep. Put in the earplugs but that didn't help either. It started at 12 at night and lasted for about 12 hours without letup. We got about 5 hours of sleep that night (if that). The weatherman had predicted a 20% chance of showers. A couple of climbers died on the face of El Capitan that weekend from exposure. A local family from Santa Cruz got snowed in while backpacking and had to be rescued not far from Yosemite.

One time we camped at Seacliff and the fog was so heavy that it kept dripping in huge drops off of the eucalyptus trees above us. That also was so loud that it kept us awake for a large part of the night. The next time we went camping there we put some pieces of lumber on top of the trailer and then put a canvas tarp over them. It did cut down on the noise, but then again we had a wet tarp to deal with. They've since cut down those huge trees, but it was a solution for that trip.

I like listening to the rain, but my hearing is just too sensitive to sleep well in the TM when it's raining hard, even with earplugs. Listening to the ocean waves crash on the beach has exactly the opposite effect; it's like a lullabye for me.

PopBeavers
08-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Valentines Day, 1986. We were in Yosemite. Our current house was under construction. All of the oak cabinets were in the leaky enclosed trailer parked out front of the house under construction. They installed them anyway and refinished them after we moved in.

All of the bridges in Yosemite Valley across the Merced reiver were closed except the bridge near Ahwahnee and the one at the west end of the valley. The pedastrian bridges were at risk of floating off of their footings, sice they are made of log. Just before the chapel the water flowing across the road was about a foot deep for 20 yards.

My aunts house, just east of Gurneville on the Russian River flooded for the first time since before 1958.

Can't have everything.

Philip
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to reduce the rain noise on the TM roof? I have a 2008, 2720 TM and it sounds like marbles hitting the roof during a decent rain.

As always any help is appreciated,

Phil Friess

TraceyMac
08-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Move to San Diego - I don't think I've ever heard the noise you describe :cool:

ssrrweeks
08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
What if you applied the rubber roofing paint material? Has anyone ever tried this?

AstroBruce
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I use ear plugs. My wife snores. I DO feel your pain. One rainy day, I wanted to watch a DVD until the rain stopped. Couldn't hear the Television over the sound of the rain.

P and B
08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Wild turkey.

mcgyver210
08-28-2009, 07:43 PM
guess we are weird we like the rain noise when it rains LOL

KSBASS
08-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Turn on the A/C! It'll drown out anything!:D

I'd say the rubberized RV roof coating would do it though.

If you think the rain can get loud. Try parking under an oak tree in mid October. My son and I were fishing/camping at Bennett Springs, Mo last fall in Oct and did just that. We were bombarded with 1 1/2" acorns randomly day and night. It was unnerving to say the least. When the breeze blew, OMG, it was really bad. Sounded like a hail storm. We used ear plugs. I won't park in #441 again this fall!

Good luck.
Troy

ng2951
09-01-2009, 05:49 AM
I agree...turn on the a/c. Low or high, its the loudest I have ever heard.

PopBeavers
09-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree...turn on the a/c. Low or high, its the loudest I have ever heard.

Living in California, it is my experience that if it is raining it is very cold. The furnace would be a better choice than the a/c.

:)

countrygirl
09-02-2009, 05:48 AM
We love the sound of the rain on the roof.

Scott O
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
TraceyMac: We were at Campland in San Diego last month when the thunderstorm hit. Broke all existing rainfall records for that day, mainly because it had never rained on that day before! The locals didn't know what to do. We just went for a bike ride around the campground!!!

PopBeavers
09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
We love the sound of the rain on the roof.

I like it, too. But in California in the summer, if we are lucky enough for it to rain at all, it is probably a very light rain.

I can see how in a heavy rain the sound would be annoying.

Philip
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks again folks,

I think I will go with my version of Wild Turkey; Rum & Tonic!!

Take care,

Phil

GoPens
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
The first time it rained I thought it was a swarm of crickets attacking us. It does provide an "it's raining" warning so as to get things you don't want getting wet inside. Sorry not to be helpful to the originating thread but like others, I don't mind the rain noise.