PDA

View Full Version : Made the switch to maxxis

ronanderson
06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
To releave the concern about weight issues and blowouts, I put on maxxis ST225X75R15 8ply tires. The switch from 14's was no problem with the exception of the spare tire holder. I had the new tires balanced and installed metal valve stems.It is now time for the open road.I will keep the members posted on the new tires. Ron

rumbleweed
06-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Did you change wheel wells or add a lift kit?

What was your fix for the spare tire holder?

Scott O
06-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Bob:
15" wheels should fit in your TM without modification. We have an '08 2720 SL and there was no issue. My dealer did do a slight mod to the spare carrier, but it was no big deal and I don't remember what it was. I'm sure the Maxxis is an excellent tire, but based on what I have read here over the years I'm not convinced the tire was the issue. I suspect that the tire size and/or faulty stems accounted for most of the problems. When people have problems with TM tires blowing, it is very difficult to pinpoint the actual cause. Personally, I believe the recalled Chinese stems TM was using were to blame for the lion's share of the problems... I wonder if anyone who switched to metal stems had blowout problems???

ronanderson
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Bob, I came home with the spare in the bed of my pickup. I have taken the spare tire carrier off and am having a welder friend make me an addition to the u shaped bracket. It appears to only need about 1/2 an inch. I recall seeing one from an earlier thread on tires. Ron