PDA

View Full Version : Smell

MackAttack
05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
When we opened our TM yesterday, it had a smell that I could not describe. I felt around the floor, carpet, beds and walls and nothing was damp. Does anybody put an air freshner in their TM when the close it?

Scott O
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
We scatter a few dryer/fabric softener sheets around and it seems to help. What you describe might be beyond the capacity of this method however. Our TM is stored inside, so I also crack a couple of the vents. Also, I am assuming that the toilet was COMPLETELY clean before you put it away. My latest cleaning method is to dump and clean as completely as possible at the site. Then charge the tank with 2-3 gallons of water and add a bit of dish washing detergent to slosh around on the way home. At home I will dump again, using the Sewer Solution so I can run a long drain line to the drain on the back of our clothes dryer. Seems to work.

wbmiller3
05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
This may be obvious but make sure it's totally dry when you put it away. If the roof is wet, the water on the back shell ends up going inside when you fold it down.

Wavery
05-12-2009, 05:53 PM
It's a good idea to store it with the tongue high so that any water will run off the back of the camper.

My advise would be to trash that carpet. When we pulled ours out, I was quite shocked at the amount of dirt that was trapped it that carpet.....yuck...:new_silly

Bluegrass
05-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Longshot but I once had a smell in my boat and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Finally found that during the winter a critter had crawled up into the bilge and died.

Al-n-Sue
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
It's a good idea to store it with the tongue high so that any water will run off the back of the camper.

I've seen this advice in numerous places, and I have always subscribed to it. And it worked well on my popup.
BUT - when I went to check on my TM at the storage lot before our first trip, there was still a little snow on the top on the front shell - and as it melted the water ran to the back of the shell where there is a slight ridge at teh edge of the shell and water was standing there. I would have had to have the tongue pretty high to get the water to run over the ridge and off the back shell. However, I noted that if the camper is level, there is a slight downward slope to the front on the front shell, and a slope to the rear on the rear shell. Makes me think that storing level may be a better choice.

Looking for other comments - or as Bill O'Reilly would say "What say you?"
:)
Alan