PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable Air Compressor

Wavery
05-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I just ordered one of these. It looks cool and a very good price, if it works well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270299849355

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RY6FPY3FL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'll keep you informed. May be a good tire inflater and GREAT air bag inflater. I seldom deflate my air bags because it's a hassle to inflate them. This would make it easy and it comes with 2 rechargeable batteries.

Wavery
05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
FOLLOW-UP:

This thing works great for a mini-compressor. It's the best value that I have ever seen in one of these things. BTW..... it comes complete with the coiled air hose...... The problem is, the battery doesn't last long at all. It's a good thing that it comes with 2 batteries and a battery charger.

I deflated my air-bags and pumped them up to 60# each 4 times on one battery. It takes about 10-15 seconds to fill each bag. That's the main reason that I purchased this thing anyway. However, that's not much of a challenge because the air-bags don't have much volume.

I then deflated one tire on my truck from 35# down to 25#. It took that tire back up to 35# in 65 seconds. That was rather impressive. That same task took 8 minutes with my old ($6) mini-compressor. However, the battery was starting to run low. I think that you could inflate a flat tire if you used both batteries.

One other note on the batteries. The charge time is incredibly fast. in 10 minutes, the 1st battery was ready to go again. It probably had a 80% charge.

The batteries are 12v. I think that I will wire in a 12V mini socket on the compressor so that I can run an extension cord to my truck or camper battery. This would allow for emergency use, in the event that both batteries go flat. I don't know why they didn't think of that when they designed this thing. It may be a heat issue so if one were to do that, they would have to be very aware of over-heating.

mjlaupp
05-16-2009, 03:30 PM
FOLLOW-UP:
The batteries are 12v. I think that I will wire in a 12V mini socket on the compressor so that I can run an extension cord to my truck or camper battery. This would allow for emergency use, in the event that both batteries go flat. I don't know why they didn't think of that when they designed this thing. It may be a heat issue so if one were to do that, they would have to be very aware of over-heating.

Look for a duty cycle rate in the literature. The on-time may be low to prevent overheating & self destruction. I ruined a low dollar air compressor trying to add pressure to my truck tires. 4 times 225x16 was too much. It always worked to top off the TM 14" tires.

Mike