PDA

View Full Version : Dealer changes in Louisiana

Skeetman
05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Mike, Randy, Bobby:

I live in Baton Rouge - tried to order a 2009 1/2 3320 from Carter's (Primeaux's in Carencro no longer handles TM's and refused to order one for me). Best Carter's would do was 9% off of invoice (and, financing wasn't an issue). Walt Prothro at Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in Monroe ordered my TM for me and gave me considerably more than twice the discount that Carter's was willing to give. Friendly, down home treatment, to boot. Don't know if Bayou Outdoor will continue to handle TM (I sure hope so - I also hope Baton Rouge gets a dealership), but they were more than helpful with me. I picked up the TM on 4/1/09 and have camped in it 3 X since then - Love it.

Skeetman

mjlaupp
05-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Interesting! I can't find a phone listing for Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in the Monroe phone book. I did a "dealer locate" on the TrailManor web site. It does not list Carter's Camper but does List Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in Bossier city.
Mike

girlbugspoppa
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, it was Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in Bossier City that I got the e-mail from about Trailmanors, is that where you got yours from Skeetman?

Skeetman
05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
girlsbugspoppa:

Yep, Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in Bossier - dealt with Walt Prothro.

ED-n-KEL
05-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Guys, I live in New Orleans and I'm currently being aimed at a small dealer in the Houston area for my zip.

Am I understanding you correctly in that you're saying this "Bayou Supercenter" is in Bossier City, and they are an official TM dealer?
I'm heading up to Arkansas in a few weeks and may try to fit them in my loop.
Do they have a selection in stock? I'm looking at 3023/3124KBs.

wmtire
05-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Guys, I live in New Orleans and I'm currently being aimed at a small dealer in the Houston area for my zip.

Am I understanding you correctly in that you're saying this "Bayou Supercenter" is in Bossier City, and they are an official TM dealer?
I'm heading up to Arkansas in a few weeks and may try to fit them in my loop.
Do they have a selection in stock? I'm looking at 3023/3124KBs.

Here is their website. It doesn't look like they have updated it recently to include the Trailmanors. Probably the best thing to do is either email or call them to see if/what they have in stock.

http://www.bayououtdoor.com/

mjlaupp
05-16-2009, 03:16 PM
I was at Carter's today to check on the cleaning job for my 2720SL for sale. I asked about the future of TrailManor at Carter's.

They have no plans to drop TrailManor as a product line. The most probable reason that they do not show up on the TrailManor dealer search is that they have not ordered a TrailManor from the factory for over 2 years. They have 3 older model year "new" TrailManors on the lot. There are no pre-loved TrailManors on the lot at this time. They stated that they can order a TrailManor at any time if needed.

I get all of my repairs and inspections at this dealer and will continue to do so. They have a huge parts catalog in print and most of the parts are in stock.

They just completed an annual 13 point check on my 2004 3326K. It required a new heating element for the water heater, a new anode rod for the water heater and touch-up re-caulking at several places.

They have no web site. Contact info is:
Carter's Camping Center
I-20 West, Cheniere Exit 108
P.O. Box 1087
West Monroe, LA 71291
phone: 318-396-2225
fax: 318-397-9881
toll free: 877-291-2225
e-mail: [email protected]

Carter's is the oldest TrailManor dealer in the US:
http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Misc/Info&FAQ/history.html
Click on "Part 1" or "Part 2"

Johnny passed away several years ago. I used to stop in at least a couple times a month just to visit with him. He is missed by all who knew him.

Mike

mcgyver210
05-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Mike it sounds like Carter's really dropped the ball with a potential customer from what I read here.

mjlaupp
05-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Mike it sounds like Carter's really dropped the ball with a potential customer from what I read here.

I don't know if Carter's "dropped the ball" here or if Bayou Outdoor is just trying to get into the TrailManor dealer network. Bayou appears to have a larger inventory and may be able to undercut Carter's.

Were each of the dealers aware of the others pricing?

One more item: Carter's RV techs have many years experience with TrailManors.

Mike

mcgyver210
05-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I may have misinterpreted what he wrote but it didn't seem as though the price was the only issue although it isn't unusual to get more than 9% off invoice on a purchase like that.

I don't know either of the dealers really I just commented based on what is here.

mjlaupp
05-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Billy,
I am green with envy every time i see your picture of the Discovery. I don't think it will safely tow my 3326 though.
Mike

mcgyver210
05-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Mike we have owned more than one Rover & have even been in a Bad Roll Over which witnesses said rolled 3 times. IMO the Rover is a very capable tow vehicle for it's class even though I was concerned with the shorter wheelbase. It just doesn't tow like other vehicles with same wheelbase though maybe because it is a bottom heavy SUV not sure. I would want to try it out first but if the 3326 was in its weight class I wouldn't hesitate on giving it a trial run. We originally bought the TM because I was told by other Rover owners it should be a good match. If I had known how well it was going to tow I may have looked at a bigger TM since I would have preferred dual axles for many reasons. But all in all we are HAPPY with our TM except for the haunted TV Antenna LOL

So far the advice we received was good our Rover has towed the TM without a hitch (not literally though) LOL. We did elect to get a needed WDH & Sway control for extra safety though. The Rover didn't sit terrible without it but was nose high which would be unsafe IMO. I also am looking into adding cameras like we have on our company truck for more safety

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forumimages/HCC%20Stuff/BBT%20Pass%20QT%20V.jpg

On another note our son is turning 15 this year & we have plans on buying another Rover & letting him have Ruby (as my wife calls her) when he starts driving. It is one of the few vehicles I would feel like my son is safer in. We was thinking about a Hummer also but we are alive today because of the Rover so most likely will buy another one. Also the new ones do have a longer wheelbase now along with much better storage.

Last Rover after Roll Over Click Here (http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forumimages/gallery/2001landroverse7/2001landroverse7.htm)

Mike here is another one to help you out with that envy ROFL

Wife said change to newer pics.

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forumimages/LandRover/LR%20Mtn%20BH%20AH%20Frnt.jpg

This is from our first trip in July!

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forumimages/LandRover/RV%20Wash%20Pulled%20Out.jpg

mjlaupp
05-16-2009, 09:17 PM
:new_uklia:D;)::corkysm60

mcgyver210
05-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Had to change pics due to wife wanting newer ones up lol

ng2951
05-17-2009, 07:00 AM
...I would want to try it out first but if the 3326...Yeah, you would like a 3326. We traded out of our year old Tacoma for a bigger Tacoma just so we could drag a bigger TM. Our 3326 is nice, but I think a 3126 is a little more practical.

mcgyver210
05-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Overall we are pretty happy with the 3023 & have noticed some campgrounds have more limitations on much longer trailers. We stayed in ours for 10 days back in Nov 08. It Rained & Snowed allot so we was inside more but we was still very comfortable & learned we will organize wiring & other stuff a little better in the future.

Skeetman
05-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Guys:

All I can report is my own experience: Back in 3-09, I faxed to Carter's a letter with the details regarding the Trailmanor that I wanted to order. I noted that I was not interested in a unit that had been sitting on the lot for a long time - that I was only interested in a 2009 (or 2009 1/2) model. Two days after faxing the letter, I got a call from a Carter's salesman (can't remember his name) - he said they would be happy to order the unit for me and quoted me a price 9% under invoice. I nicely advised that I had hoped to get a little better price and he advised that that was Carter's final price, take it or leave it. I then found out, through further inquiry with Trailmanor, that Bayou Outdoor in Bossier City was thinking about carrying the Trailmanor line but was not yet doing so. I contacted Bayour Outdoor and dealt with Walt Prothro who told me that he would be happy to order the unit for me, though they were not yet technically a Trailmanor dealer. Walt made me a deal with considrably more than twice the discount that Carter's was offering and, on 4/1/09, I picked up the unit and became Bayou Outdoor's 1st Trailmanor customer. I don't know if they presently have any Trailmanor's in stock and I don't know their plans for future as to carrying Trailmanors (though I hope they do). All I know is that they did me a favor, treated me fairly, and made me a happy customer. I have nothing bad to say about Carter's - all I know is that I could not make a deal with them and that Bayou Outdoors treated me well.

Skeetman

mcgyver210
05-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Good Info I had a similar situation when we purchased our current Land Rover. The manager of the store knew we was serious because of the wreck we was just in. Yet the salesman he put us with told us take the Sticker Price or buy a different vehicle because this was the only Land Rover dealer around. So my wife used the internet & we drove to Geogia after making a Cash deal over the phone. Needless to say the local dealer wants us to talk to them again before we purchase again. One thing all businesses must learn in todays economy the Customer has many places to buy from so you must offer a USP but not necessarily the lowest price.

I personally have a rule that I don't pay sticker price on a vehicle/trailer unless there is a really good reason to. Either way it is GREAT you was able to make a deal you could live with & are now a owner.

wmtire
05-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Yep, it always pays to shop around. It's all a big game. I am currently trying to find a "fire sale" on a new Dodge diesel. There was a dealer near Houston advertising 50% off of their 2008 Dodge 2500 trucks but for some reason (sarcasm intended) when I contacted them, their initial deal was nowhere near that. Not even 20%. I laughed them off, and they still keep emailing me.

mjlaupp
05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Skeetman,

I do not disagree with your thoughts about Carter's.

Last year I looked at a conventional TT at Carter's with the intention of trading my 2720SL. I got a little concession on both ends, but not near enough to make a deal. However, they are selling trailers and 5th wheels to someone.

The only way that I could see to do an upgrade was to sell my 2720SL outright and then buy what I wanted. The 3326K came along before I was ready to list the 2720SL. So now I find myself as the owner of 2 TrailManors. Edit: Make that 1 3326.

I will continue to use Carter's for TM service. The service men have a lot of experience with TrailManors.

Mike

mjlaupp
08-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I was at Carter's Camper today - 8/28/09. They have dropped several manufacturers from the inventory and TrailManor is one of them. There are no new TrailManors on the lot. They seem to have retained their existing spare parts inventory.
Mike

BOB_STRONG
08-28-2009, 07:43 PM
That's too bad that they have dropped TrailManor from their sales. I read that Carter's was the first dealer to sell TrailManors way back in 1983 when Bill Hulsey started the company. I guess it happened because of the recession that we are still in.

girlbugspoppa
08-31-2009, 10:22 PM
I was at Carter's Camper today - 8/28/09. They have dropped several manufacturers from the inventory and TrailManor is one of them. There are no new TrailManors on the lot. They seem to have retained their existing spare parts inventory.
Mike

Mike, did they say whether they will continue to service TM's? It sure is nice having experienced people so close by.

mjlaupp
08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
I didn't ask but I don't see why they would not continue service. They have always serviced any make/model RV that was brought to the shop.
Mike

mjlaupp
08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Stopped by Carter's today. They are still in business as an RV repair shop and consignment sales. I talked with John Jr. and he said the repair business keeps them jumping. They also do RV repair house calls. They have one TM on the lot for repairs (needs a fridge). John said there is a back order list for both the Norcold and Dometic in the size used in the TM.

I didn't recognize any of the maintenance techs on the grounds today. I talked with 2 of them. One has been with Carter's for 5-6 months, The other said he had been around since the TM's first arrived at Carter's - he isn't old enough! Question is, can they fix TM specific issues?

For those interested: There is a 2003 2720 on consignment at Carter's. Contact info is posted earlier in this thread.

wmtire
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Contact info is posted earlier in this thread.

Mike, I am still getting the "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" automated message when I try to call any of Carter's numbers as of this morning. It's going to be hard for anyone to call if there isn't a good phone #.

I stopped by there around 9:15 this morning too and the gates were still locked.

rvcycleguy
08-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Stopped by Carter's today. They are still in business as an RV repair shop and consignment sales. I talked with John Jr. and he said the repair business keeps them jumping. They also do RV repair house calls. They have one TM on the lot for repairs (needs a fridge). John said there is a back order list for both the Norcold and Dometic in the size used in the TM.

I didn't recognize any of the maintenance techs on the grounds today. I talked with 2 of them. One has been with Carter's for 5-6 months, The other said he had been around since the TM's first arrived at Carter's - he isn't old enough! Question is, can they fix TM specific issues?

For those interested: There is a 2003 2720 on consignment at Carter's. Contact info is posted earlier in this thread.

Mike, besides the lifting mechanism, what do you identify as TM specific issues?

mjlaupp
08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Mike, I am still getting the "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" automated message when I try to call any of Carter's numbers as of this morning. It's going to be hard for anyone to call if there isn't a good phone #.
Phone(s) out for me too.

I stopped by there around 9:15 this morning too and the gates were still locked.The gates were open @ 3:30 pm today 8/07/2012.

Mike, besides the lifting mechanism, what do you identify as TM specific issues?
That is the primary issue. I'm concerned about the ability to adjust the top shells should it become necessary.

The last time I had my 3326 in for a 13 point check-up, it came out with more problems than when it went in. Some of the problems would be common to all RVs.

They burned out the electric heat coil in the water heater while checking heater operation.

I had Maxi-vents put on over the roof vents and the existing translucent vent covers replaced with smoke colored covers. I had to repair the wiring in the front roof where it went around the vent openings to get the ceiling lights to work.

When they closed the TM, they did not latch the door in the travel position before dropping the rear shell. The light fixture over the dinette table came down on the top of the lower door half. I now have some minor chipping of the glass and had to bend the fixture back into shape. This problem is unique to the 3326 model however it shows that the tech who was working on my TM did not know or did not care to do the job right.

On the other hand. They fixed the A/C compressor start problem. and managed to get all new rubber under the TM without causing other issues. Washing the exterior and re-caulking where necessary seems to be within their capabilities.

Note that the last time I had my TM in for work was Jan-Feb 2011.

wmtire
08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
The gates were open @ 3:30 pm today 8/07/2012.

Should have stopped in, as I was just leaving there about that time. John had the part I was looking for. I got his cell in case anyone here is interested in the Trailmanor.

mjlaupp
07-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Drove by Carter's Campers last week. Gates are closed, lot is empty & building closed up. Looks like the 1st and oldest TrailManor dealership is no more. :sad2: