PDA

View Full Version : What is the competition up to?

Bill
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
As we have discussed over the past few days, Trail Manor has just introduced the TrailMini. It looks like a great little rig, and will definitely meet a market need for a small but well-equipped, low-profile, lightweight travel trailer.

So, what is the competition doing? Hi-Lo has just introduced a model called the Mojo. It is a kind of retro-looking teardrop trailer, and as Tim Sample would say, it is "wicked cute"! You'll have to decide how much you are willing to pay for "cute", but the new issue of the Good Sam magazine, and the Hi-Lo web site, have the rest of the story - or at least most of it.

The Mojo is, and is intended to be, a smaller trailer than the TrailMini, which makes it hard to compare the two. In addition, Hi-Lo has played the basic-configuration-vs-options game to the max, making options of several items that are standard on the TrailMini. And of course, that affects the stated dry weight (1400 pounds for the Mojo vs 1850 pounds for the Mini), hitch weight (140 vs 260 pounds), and base price ($12,593). So you can't compare them right out of the box.

Unlike other HiLo trailers, the Mojo's opener is spring loaded, not unlike the TM's torsion bars. Interior height is 6 feet, shorter than the TrailMini. The dinette converts into a bed - the bed is permanent in the TrailMini. There is no bathroom in the Mojo, and so no shower or private space. A hardwall bathroom with toilet, shower and sink is standard on the TrailMini.

According to the article and the Hi-Lo web site, Mojo options include a refrigerator, furnace, drop-down stabilizer jacks, spare tire, Porta-Potti, and propane bottle, all standard on the TrailMini, as well as awning, battery, Fantastic fan, and air conditioner, which are options on the TrailMini as well. (Hi-Lo lists the propane bottle as both optional and standard equipment.) Fresh water capacity on the Mojo is listed as 6 gallons, vs 20 gallons on the TrailMini. No mention is made of a water heater; the TM has a 6 gallon two-way unit. The Mojo does not have a black water system, of course, and apparently not a gray water system, either. Like a canvas pop-up, I imagine that it dumps gray water directly into a bucket outside. A screen door is standard.

At this point, specs and prices for both trailers are pretty skimpy. My guess is that once they are equipped with an equivalent set of options, they won't be too different in weight or price - but we'll have to wait to be sure about that.

My conclusion is that both manufacturers have added a nice model at the bottom end of their size and weight scale. That is a good move in today's world. Either will be of interest to single travellers or couples. The TrailMini might accomodate a small child as well; it is hard to think that the Mojo could do so. Both of these trailers will work well with smaller tow vehicles, of course.

And Hi-Lo apparently got the jump on magazine publicity. I'm surprised.

Bill

ng2951
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
The outside paint scheme kind of reminds me of the Mystery Van from Scoobie Do. Its got pretty good exterior styling, but standup room looks like it is limited to just under 6.5'.

If I were guessing, its designed to compete more against the Chalet line and not the Mini. They are priced about the same, but it is debateable as too which one is the superior product.

However, the MoJo looks a lot cooler...

photoadjuster
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Your asked "What is the competition up to?"

Mostly they are standing in line down at the bankruptcy court.

wmtire
04-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Your asked "What is the competition up to?"

Mostly they are standing in line down at the bankruptcy court.

LOL Sad but true

YWORRYDOG
04-28-2009, 06:16 AM
The MoJo was out well before the, TrailMini I saw one at a show last January

Bill
04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Wow, you'd think their web page would be in better shape than it is. It still looks very preliminary, with very little detail beyond a few pictures, and no pricing other than the MSRP for the totally unoptioned base vehicle.

I'm looking forward to articles about the TrailMini.

Bill

sharoden
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
In speaking with the TM Dealer here in Illinois, he mentioned that Camping World is going under. Has anyone else heard this?

wmtire
04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
In speaking with the TM Dealer here in Illinois, he mentioned that Camping World is going under. Has anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard any news of that. I bet the NASCAR truck series would hate losing their sponsorship.

FYI, here is a link to what some of the competition is doing......as far as closings and bankruptcies.

http://rvtravel.com/publish/news/rv-makers-gone.shtml

meriflower
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I have not heard about Camping World going under - I hope not!

As for the Mojo, I haven't seen one in person. It is a teardrop and I would say it competes with the T@b. I would agree on the outside graphics - mystery van from Scooby Doo. :P I think I'll stick with the regular trailers from Hi-Lo! On the Mojo's website, it has more info on it than what TM has on theirs regarding the Mini - which is a link to a 4 page brochure.

If one wants to compare a Hi-Lo product to the TrailMini I would say it would be the Hi-Lo 15T, is like a mini Hi-Lo. I haven't done any true comparisons between the two models (well I have already compared Hi-Lo to TM and made the choice that was best for us).

ShrimpBurrito
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Camping World is owned by FreedomRoads, LLC, which, according to Hoover, is "owned, indirectly, by Steve Adams, chairman of RV products company Affinity Group." Sounds like it is actually owned by Mr. Adams, not Affinity Group, but the "terms" link on the Camping World website says Affinity Group, Inc. runs Camping World.

If you do a brief search on Affinity Group, you will see they are having financial problems. They appear to own Good Sams Club, and a whole host of other RV related companies.

Dave

wmtire
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, the way the world is going down the tubes (according to the newscasts), it's a good thing we own campers we can dry camp in. I guess we just need to load up on some good solar panel chargers. That way we can have a way to recharge our batteries during armegeddon. :)

Of course getting propane is a different story.

Bill
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Meriflower -

I think you're right that the Hi-Lo 15T is a better comaprison to the Trail-Mini. Although the TrailMini and the Mojo came out at about the same time, they really don't address the same market.

Bill

B_and_D
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Seriously, is Camping World going under? I have $100 in gift certificates that I'm now worried about.

meriflower
04-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Doesn't appear anything official yet regarding Camping World closing just whispers of it. It appears the Affinity Group is having financial trouble as Dave (Shrimp Burrito) found earlier. So who knows? I guess now would be a good time to stock up on needed RV supplies and/or use any CW gift certificates you may have.

Affinity also owns other RV ventures including a couple of magazines I subscribe to, Trailer Life and Camping Life. Camping Life has done some good write-ups on TM as well as Hi-Lo.

http://www.rvenews.com/News/tabid/57/ctl/ArticleView/mid/372/articleId/270/Is-Affinity-Group-being-forced-to-sell-Camping-World.aspx

Bill
04-30-2009, 08:53 AM
According to a number of published sources, including the one WMTire mentioned, it is Affinity Group that has been put on Moody's Likely-To-Fail list. Affinity Group owns a whole lot of RV-oriented companies, including Camping World and Good Sam.
http://rvtravel.com/affinity-moodys.shtml

It was not clear to me whether "failure" in this case meant Chapter 7 or Chapter 11. It was also not clear whether Affinity Group as a whole would undergo a single fate, or if the individual companies within Affinity Group would be treated individually. As you probably know, Chapter 7 means that the company disappears and its assets are sold off. Chapter 11 means that the company stays in business and is protected from its creditors while it re-organizes itself into a form that might allow it to survive. A company that emerges from Chapter 11 will probably be a whole lot different from the company that entered.

My opinion is that it would be prudent to use that gift certificate. And although I've already paid for my Good Sam membership for the year, I won't sign up for any of the Good Sam insurance programs until this whole thing is straightened out.

Those with memberships in Coast-to-Coast Resorts (also Affinity Group) might also want to pay attention to developments.

And finally, remember that this is the potential for problems in the next year, not actuality. It hasn't happened, and it might not happen. But the risk is rising.

Just my opinion.

Bill

PopBeavers
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
My understanding of this is that the Camping World stores that sell motorhomes is in trouble. The place we go to buy supplies and get repairs done is not in that category.

Until this issue came up on rv.net, I did not even know that CW sold MHs.

TraceyMac
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
The Camping World in San Marcos (northern San Diego county) has stopped selling vehicles (they only recently started, but at their peak had at least 100 vehicles on the lot). Now, there is a large empty lot, but the store remains open for business as usual.

ShrimpBurrito
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
B_and_D - If you are really worried about the gift certificates, let me know. I will send you my address. :D

In all seriousness, I would just use them. You can always use TP and AquaKem.

Dave

B_and_D
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, I wanted to buy a Honda 2000, and I think they are still on sale. I've been looking for one on Craigslist and can't seem to find one close by. There's really not much else I need/want from there.

PopBeavers
04-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I was at CW San Martin today, to pick up my TM. I had then fix the plumbing leak I caused when trying tor replace the kitchen faucet.

There was no sign of them being in trouble, but I did not ask.

ShrimpBurrito
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, I wanted to buy a Honda 2000, and I think they are still on sale. I've been looking for one on Craigslist and can't seem to find one close by. There's really not much else I need/want from there.

You'll save $100 on the generator just by buying out-of-state - no sales tax from the less expensive online generator retailers. Plus, last I saw, their price including shipping is usually less than CW's price, so if all that is still true, the $100 in gift certificates would be out of door using it for that purchase.

The sales tax in LA County is now 9.25%. Ugh.

Dave

B_and_D
04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Yep, that sales tax rate doesn't make me want to buy much of anything. I don't think it's going to get any better in the near future, however. I think it's outrageous. I emailed my senator twice about the 1% increase but he ended up caving in to the pressure to get the budget passed.

Did you know that the State of CA is allowing you to report all your internet and out of state purchases for which you haven't yet paid sales tax on your California Form 540 and pay the sales (use) taxes when you file your income taxes? If you don't, there can be penalties for noncompliance.

Suprisingly :rolleyes: very few I know have opted to do that.

cali camping
05-01-2009, 05:43 AM
I was at CW San Martin today, to pick up my TM. I had then fix the plumbing leak I caused when trying tor replace the kitchen faucet.

There was no sign of them being in trouble, but I did not ask.

Wayne I thought you were a fix it all yourself kind of guy!?

cali camping
05-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Yep, that sales tax rate doesn't make me want to buy much of anything. I don't think it's going to get any better in the near future, however. I think it's outrageous. I emailed my senator twice about the 1% increase but he ended up caving in to the pressure to get the budget passed.

Did you know that the State of CA is allowing you to report all your internet and out of state purchases for which you haven't yet paid sales tax on your California Form 540 and pay the sales (use) taxes when you file your income taxes? If you don't, there can be penalties for noncompliance.

And very view will! Although some new tax laws are mandating that on-line retailers collect sales tax for states being shipped to...had it happen twice since the beginning of the year.

wmtire
05-01-2009, 06:11 AM

I guess that CA read Louisiana's play book on that. We have had a line on our state income tax form for that exact same thing for a few years now. It's right above the line for income received from bribes, kickbacks, and extortion. (only applies to our politicians though). :D

Our sales tax rate is 9.6% with it being 11% across the river in the Richwood township. :eek:

Back on topic: I wouldn't be surprised at any business failing right now. They are really dropping like flies around here, especially all the ones tied to the paper mill industry and their related sub-suppliers. As a small business owner myself, I am concerned.

mgoblue911
05-01-2009, 06:55 AM
The CW in Bolingbrook (southwest of Chicago) was a large full service (MH sales and repair shop + retail store) facility for the entire Chicagoland area. They shut their doors permanantly last fall. All of their stock of RV's and supplies are gone.

There are not a lot of good options for supplies in Chicago. This hurt.

ng2951
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Once a year, Louisiana has a tax holiday on most items. That makes it a good time to buy gensets and such.

Just as an FYI, I bought a Yamaha 2400IS a couple of years ago from Cabela's. If you open an account get them to sell you one off the floor you can beat both sales tax and shipping. Other big box stores have similar arrangements.

I would have gone for dual Honda 2000s if I had wanted to part with another $1K. Getting the Yamaha for around a grand was just too good to pass up. It is interesting to note that over at Wise-Sales there is triple 2000 kit now. Boy does that sound sweet.

BTW, I can store the 2400 in the rear bay of the 3326. I built a simple 2x4 ramp to slide it out onto the ground. The neatest thing I have seen are the people that have built a weatherized enclosure on their TV for the genset. That has pros and cons (what happens to whoever is at the trailer if the TV needs to leave).

CW here in Hammond, LA is associated with Dixie RV. You can get a great deal on just about any MH and they have been putting Jayco pop-ups in the showroom...I guess that means things are tight. It seems like every week they have someone with a MH in the customer orientation area. Lots of people are going through the showroom. CW always seems to have people in it too.

With Cap & Trade on the horizon, possibly pushing gas back to $4.25/gal or above, TM and other quality fuel-efficient trailer manufacturers look very well positioned. Bad for MH manufacturers though.

Bill
05-01-2009, 08:17 AM
B&D -

As ShrimpBurrito points out, the price of gensets at CW is really quite high. Just for the fun of it, check out Mayberry's (mayberrys.com). They advertise in all the RV magazines as having the lowest price, and I think they may be right. You have to call to get a price, but it will include shipping and, I believe, no sales tax. When I bought my 1000i, they were far cheaper than CW, and the unit arrived at my doorstep in 3 days.

Bill

PopBeavers
05-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Wayne I thought you were a fix it all yourself kind of guy!?I wish.

My wife doesn't let me fix anything I break.

new faucet with sprayer $45
parts $35
CW price to fix it after I broke the plastic plumbing $235

Knowing that my wife, daughter and soon to be daughter-in-law will be able to wash their hair when we are boondocking in the middle of the forest where we can ride ATVs from camp, and we must conserve water...

priceless

ng2951
05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
...Knowing that my wife, daughter and soon to be daughter-in-law will be able to wash their hair when we are boondocking in the middle of the forest where we can ride ATVs from camp, and we must conserve water...You'll never conserve water if you are bringing the wife, daughter, and daughter-in-law...

PopBeavers
05-01-2009, 11:11 AM
You'll never conserve water if you are bringing the wife, daughter, and daughter-in-law...

Actually they do pretty good. With 5 adults, including a navy shower for each person, we use less than 2 gallons of water per person per day.

But we are getting off topic.