PDA

View Full Version : level storage

ronanderson
04-16-2009, 08:48 AM
How importat is it to store on leval ground? I have a carport in my back yard. the carport is 18' wide but the ground slopes about 4 inches from side to side. I don"t want to do any damage to internal parts to the 2720Sl.

PopBeavers
04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
The most important reason to be close to level is when running the fridge.

Second to that is comfort when using it, so you don't roll out of bed.

For me, a level stove is important when frying an egg.

I only mention these in case you intend to use the TM as a guest quarters during storage.

When just storing it, but not actively using it, I don't see any reason to be concerned about being out of level as long as you chock it so it does not roll away and if you set the jacks be careful not to twist the frame. If the only contact with the ground is the tires and the front jack, these three points of contact should result in no frame twisting. More tan three points of contact can introduce twist to the frame.

mjlaupp
04-16-2009, 03:54 PM
My first TM ('97 2720) developed a side to side set to the suspension that I think was due to storing it where the ground was about 4 inches out of level side to side. I leveled the TM using an automotive jack on the frame on the low side (in place all during storage) with the stabilizers down. I think the fact that one side of the rubber torque suspension was compressed more than the other for a long period gave a semi-permanent set to the rubber. I don't know if the set came out of the suspension after I traded the TM.

I now store my TM using a BAL leveler http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-light-trailer-tire-leveler/21017 and have not had any more problems. I use the BAL leveler because I can not back straight into my storage area and target a set of leveling blocks. Well, I guess I could, but I don't have a helper so it would mean several trips between the TV and TM to get the blocks in place and the TM centered on top of them.

Get yourself a set of leveling blocks or cut a set of boards so you can level side to side before you put the jacks down.

Mike

ronanderson
04-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Mike I will put the down side up on boards to level out.

fischnet52
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
New to the TM community, but I've always leveled (about) my popup at rest in the driveway, at least with a block under the wheel, and am doing same with the TM. My popup (Jayco) had the same axle and suspension and always was true. Also made for quick fridge start up for cool down prior to a trip.

Only issue of concern was water drainage; since it is outside, I always leveled side/side, but put a good pitch on the front. doing same with the TM, only the pitch is to back for water runnoff.

Fred

nicuknitter
05-23-2009, 12:40 PM
My driveway slopes down towards the front of the unit - too far to tip the front up or even level completely. I can get almost half the "bubble" in the level zone. I live where there are fairly frequent thunderstorms during the summer. Does anyone know if the slight slope will cause water to leak in between the shells or air vents?

Bill
05-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Leakage at the air vents? No. Air conditioner? No. Under the seals between the shells? I don't think so, but I've never tried it. The bag seals really do a pretty good job, and the fact that there are two seals between the shells, along with the fact that the roof is bowed up a bit in the center, makes for very good drainage. In an extreme case, I suppose that wind-driven rain might get past the first seal - but there is no wind between the first and second seal, so drainage off to the sides should be excellent.

Bill