PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Virginia

ronanderson
03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
We are new rvers and now the owners of a 2008 2720sl, although not yet in our possession. we are going to florida next week to pick it up,and thanks to this forum I have gained a lot of useful info. I am in the process of putting together a must have tool box and would welcome any suggestions. I have considerable boat towing experence but not with electric brakes. thanks and look forward to meeting some of you on the road.

rumbleweed
03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Check with the owners, If not included with the TM I suggest the following at least for the trip back to VA.

13/16 Lug wrench unless your TV has a 13/16 wrench
Good bottle jack 4 ton should work Don't trust TV Jack
Spare tail light bulbs
Check air pressure in spare in case you need it.
If you have a small volt-ohm meter that would come in handy if you have an e-brake problem
Do you have a brake controller on your TV?
Towing mirrors for TV if not equipped.
Should not be an issue as TM is 08, but make sure battery has a good charge as it powers the break away brakes if needed,
I carry a 1" wide ratchet strap long enough to go around TM ( can use two if shorter) to hold top shell down in case a latch lets go.
Basic hand tools

These are precautions in case you have any issues but are all things you will probably want sooner or later.

Enjoy your new toy.

PopBeavers
03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Check your tow vehicle to determine if the 12 volt hot lead for charging the traielr batteries has power to it. Sometimes it is disconnected.

I have used my TM corner jacks to change a flat. I do not carry an extra jack. I did have to use the hand crank, because my cordless drill would not lift the load.

I have a small case of hand tools that I always carry, but since March 2005 I do not recall ever usignt hem on the TM.

The screws on the TM require a square head. My TM came with a special screw driver. See if the seller has one that goes with the trailer.

In case you have a problem with the latches, take along some straps or rope. I would guess that 30 feet is enough to wrap around the TM. I only suggest this because you may not know the true condition of the trailer. For lack of an inexpensive part you might otherwise be stuck somewhere.

Tire pressure gauge, so you will know how much are is in the TM tires. Do not trust a kick the rubber test.

Make sure the brake controller in your TV is operational.

Bill
03-31-2009, 06:29 AM
I have a small case of hand tools that I always carry, but since March 2005 I do not recall ever using them on the TM.That's because you have them with you. Try leaving home without them ...

Bill

lnussbau
03-31-2009, 08:19 AM

The screws on the TM require a square head. My TM came with a special screw driver. See if the seller has one that goes with the trailer.

Curious -- all the screws I've encountered on my 2006 2720SL are Phillips head.

Bill
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Larry -

If you look at them closely, you'll find that the screw heads have square sockets, with a bit of a slot cut out of each corner. This means that a Phillips screwdriver will work, but only if the screw is not really very tight. If you run into a tight one (and admittedly they are few), a Phillips driver will strip it out.

A set of square drive drivers (I think there are 3 sizes in a common set) costs only a few bucks. I'm thinking less than $5 from someplace like Harbor Freight, and maybe $10 from Ace Hardware. In my opinion, it is worthwhile. A stripped screw is an instant problem.

Bill

ronanderson
04-01-2009, 05:44 AM
thanks for the good advise. I have added a 7-way and prodigy brake controller to my 2003 tundra V8 4X4 which should handle a 2720 pretty well.

lnussbau
04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I'll take a closer look, Bill -- thanks.

Redwolf
06-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Ron, you live in Virgina right, we are travel for the first time in our trailmanor to virginia this August, any suggestions on where to see? Matt

boggsryan
06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Redwolf,
I live in Chesapeake, VA (not far from the ocean). There is tons to do and see in VA so it really depends on what part you are going to. You have the beach in Va Beach, the colonial settings in Williamsburg (Busch Gardens amusement park also), much civil war and presidential history (the surrender at Appomatox Court House and many other battles), you will be close to DC if you visit the north part of the state. The Blue Ridge mountains run through western VA and are really beautiful (especially in the fall, August is a bit too soon to catch the leaves changing but it is still a great place to camp). There is a bunch more but let us know what part of Virginia you are planning on visiting and we can probably have more specific recommendations.

Bob

ronanderson
06-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Redwolf, I second Bob"s reply. Much to see and do in all areas of the state. Please be aware that It gets very hot and humid in Va. during August as in most of the southern half of the country. Welcome to the TMO site. Ron

mtnguy
06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Redwolf, I third the last 2 replies. :) I have been living here 56 years, and still have a lot to see. From the Appalachian Mountains in the west, across the Shenandoah Valley, over the Blue Ridge Mountains, across the Piedmont section to the Tidewater area, you get all kinds of things to see and do.

The National Forests of Western Virginia: Mostly dry camping with scattered campgrounds, and beside the back road camping if you prefer. Plenty of hiking trails.

The Shenandoah Valley. Natural Bridge, plenty of caverns (Luray, Endless, Grand, Shenandoah, Skyline), canoeing or tubing on the Shenandoah, Natural Bridge, etc.

Blue Ridge Mountains: The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive run down the spine of the mountains. The Appalachian Trail runs the length of Virginia.

Also consider the Presidential Trail (http://www.woodrowwilson.org/visit/visit_show.htm?doc_id=607855) and Revoluntionary and Civil War battlefields.

Since I live in Western Virginia, I will leave it up the Eastern Virginia members to fill you in more on that side of the commonwealth.

lnussbau
06-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Larry -

If you look at them closely, you'll find that the screw heads have square sockets, with a bit of a slot cut out of each corner. This means that a Phillips screwdriver will work, but only if the screw is not really very tight. If you run into a tight one (and admittedly they are few), a Phillips driver will strip it out.

A set of square drive drivers (I think there are 3 sizes in a common set) costs only a few bucks. I'm thinking less than $5 from someplace like Harbor Freight, and maybe $10 from Ace Hardware. In my opinion, it is worthwhile. A stripped screw is an instant problem.

Bill

You sure hit the nail on the head, Bill. I do find the proper connector easier to use, once I identified which one it was.

Thanks,

Bill & Lisa
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I believe the tool is a No.2 square head driver.

Redwolf
07-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Bob, we are going up the coast of NC, SC, then into virginia to asseteague state park, from there we are going to williamsburg, and then head west to hungry mother state park. Great suggestions, thanks, any others? Redwolf

ronanderson
08-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Redwolf, When will you be at Hungry Mother? We have reservations for labor day weekend at Hungry mother. Enjoy. Ron

Bill & Lisa
08-07-2009, 10:43 AM
If anyone runs into any problems in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/ Williamsburg area there is a good dealer in the area Chesapeake RV Solutions 757-432-0222. I am also willing to help out if I can. I don't get on the forum as often as I used to but can be reached on my cell at 757-343-8334 if you need a hand or want a vistor while you are camped in the area....