PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use your TM?

Al-n-Sue
02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
An interesting thread was started in this section about where you are going this year. It made me think of a question I've asked myself as I read what people do when they are camping - Why do I camp? Some go to Bluegrass or other music festivals, some go to dog shows, some ride ATVs or mountain bikes, some hang at the beach.

I decided that my main reason for camping is simply "getting away" and reading. I also go to be with friends since almost every camping trip we take we go with a group. So sometimes I do what they do - hiking being one of the common activities! But mostly I like sitting under my awning with a cool beverage and a good book - spy novels are my favorite.

So why do you camp? Maybe the discussion will generate some new relationships!

Alan

Joseph
02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Like you I love to get out under the awning and let the world go by. Especailly in the morning with a good cup of perked coffee. Marine Corp coffee. The kind that can jump start the truck....:D I also love to cook when camping. The DW does not cook when we are out...:) The TM gives us a feeling of home no matter where it is parked. No matter what view comes thru the windows we are always in our "house" as it were. That and the freedom of just going and stopping anywhere along the way. Not being tied down. Got a long weekend coming next month when we will take the TM to a local Georgia State Park for a few days. It cannot come soon enough!:new_Eyecr

wbmiller3
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
For us it's the pleasure of having a "hotel room" right out where you want to be - for birding, hiking, etc - step out the door and go.

PopBeavers
02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Mostly we go camping in the Sierras. We enjoy wide wide open expanse you see as you get cloe to the treeline. Granite and trees as far as the eye can see.

I like to hike, usually uphill to get a better view. DW, with her bad knees will stay in camp and read.

Sometimes we will go for a drive and DW will drop me off at the top of the hill above camp and I will walk back solo.

Sometimes we randomly drive down forest service roads just to see what is down there. Last year we bought a pair of ATVs and a dual sport motorcycle, so when we explore the forest service roads instead of sitting in the crew cab we each have our own toy to drive.

We have hookups once a year and dry camp 8 other times each year.

Bluegrass
02-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Our trips can be divided in two categories:

Camping is part of the bluegrass festival culture. Each evening after the last performance, people get their instruments and find others of similar ability to jam with. This often goes until the wee, in fact the very wee hours of the morning, after which you go crash in your tent or camper, only to start the cycle over the next day. What is truly unique about bluegrass festivals is that it is traditional for the members of the performing bands to show up in the campgrounds at night to join in the jams. I've seen top names like Rhonda Vincent and Ricky Skaggs wander around the campgrounds joining in the jams. One should note that Bluegrass festivals are not conducive to much sleep! At a few of the bigger festivals, the camping is so popular that festival campsites are issued by lottery months in advance.

The other part of our camping is just getting away and enjoying the outdoors. We're blessed to have both mountains and red rock desert within a relatively short drive. In a mountain campground about 30 minutes from our home, it's common to see moose, mountain goats, lots of deer, and more birds than I could ever name. Truly inspirational. The world class trout streams are frosting on the cake.

Finally, we've found most campers to be friendly, interesting, informative, and even at times - entertaining. Kinda like the folks on this forum!

Al-n-Sue
02-28-2009, 08:53 AM
We love bluegrass too and would love to do some of the festivals as well. Do you have any sources of where and when they occur? Being in Utah I'm guessing you've done some in Colorado?

Alan

PS - this was exactly why I posted this thread!;)

Bluegrass
02-28-2009, 11:31 AM
We love bluegrass too and would love to do some of the festivals as well. Do you have any sources of where and when they occur? Being in Utah I'm guessing you've done some in Colorado?

Alan

PS - this was exactly why I posted this thread!;)

In the West, Colorado and California have great bluegrass festivals. Here's a site that lists them: Festival list (http://www.bluegrassfestivalguide.com/co.htm)

If nothing else, catch at least a day of Rockygrass in Lyons, Colorado, July 24-26. The lineup they have this year is just amazing. Earl Scruggs, one of the last legends, will be there with his family. Hot Rize, Colorado's finest with Tim O'Brien and Pete Wernick are on the schedule. The Claire Lynch and the Del McCoury bands are both on schedule. The finest in this genre will all be there. Rockygrass Website (http://www.bluegrass.com/rockygrass/)

We bought tickets but just learned that family is coming to visit that weekend. Hmmmm. Which is more important, family or Rockygrass? <evil grin> I think family is going to win this year.

Here's the website of the Colorado Bluegrass Music Society (http://www.coloradobluegrass.org/).

I'll post something if we decide to hit one of these festivals.

Keith

AZTRLBLZR
02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
We go on a 4 day campout every month (Oct-May) with a chapter of Good Sam Club. We go all over the State of Arizona. This June, we are going to Branson, Mo. for the national TM Jubilee. Try to stay out of Arizona in summer!!!

Bill
02-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey, I know Lyons! What a beautiful little town. We love it more each time we go through, which is often, since we have a cabin about 5 miles away, high up in the Rockies. While you are in Lyons, be sure not to miss Oscar Blues, a downtown microbrewery and pub/restuarant. Kid friendly, and some of the best microbrew I've had. If you can't get in (it will be popular), at least get a couple growlers to take back to your TM.

And hey, if the campgrounds sell out, maybe I'll rent out my cabin, since we won't be there. How does $1000 for 3 days sound? (Just kidding ...)

Bill

ng2951
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
We take ours to Cowboy Action Shoots. This year we are going to Purgatory in Mendehal, MS and the Resurrection at Tin Star Ranch in the Texas Hill Country.

We travel with out two dogs, our wardrobes, and of course the toys. Its a great sport...

Added 3-1-2009
With cap & trade and other proposed energy fees (taxes) that may raise fuel prices by $1.27/gal a TM may be one of the few economical choices on the market.

mcgyver210
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
We purchased ours:

1. to push us to take more time off for family vacations which isn't easy being a business owner.
2. because we are clean freaks & hate the cleanliness of Hotels, Resorts, etc.
3. to be able to carry our dog Girly with us.
4. for the possibility of meeting new people with similar interest.

lnussbau
03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Well, our TM started out as a desire for a Chalet to take on some of my Scout outings. But when we got to The Car Show, the TM was inviting (we'd previously had a demo at an RV show in Denver), and DW decided that with the TM she might actually agree to camp out occasionally with me.

So now, besides Scouting, we make as many of the Mile High Trailblazers' rallies as we can; occasionally hit a State Park, or such; and plan to be at the National rally at Branson. Also, this year a couple of TB members have set up special outings (other than the normal 6 or so club rallies) for several days, one near Amarillo and one in South Dakota, both of which we plan to attend.

countrygirl
03-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Mostly for traditional archery tournaments...but also just to get away.