PDA

View Full Version : A diecast Trailmanor replica

ShrimpBurrito
09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
How many users currently use the forum? The link with site stats no longer works. I just wanted to get a general idea of how many folks use the forum, as I've suggested to Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint that they make a diecast replica of a TM.

Thanks,
Dave

countrygirl
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Now Shrimp Buritto...that would be cool! I bought the materials...to make a TM Christmas Ornament out of plastic canvas. But with my health issues this year I have not done anything with it.

wmtire
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Now Shrimp Buritto...that would be cool! I bought the materials...to make a TM Christmas Ornament out of plastic canvas. But with my health issues this year I have not done anything with it.

Since we have drifted a little off-topic, it is funny ya mention that. I asked Bill if Trailmanor had ever built a diecast model of their trailer a year or so back after seeing this one available from Hi-Lo.

http://www.hilotrailer.com/resinmodel.htm

Maybe we can start our own thread about it and ask the factory if they have any plans for one, especailly since this is their anniversary.

Bill
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, a quick count on the first 10 pages of the Members list shows that there are about 4 sponsors per page. Since there are 95 pages in the list, that would suggest that there are a total of about 400 Sponsors. The actual total could be off by +/- 25 members from this estimate, but I don't think it is more than that. Does that help?

Bill

Mr. Adventure
09-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, a quick count on the first 10 pages of the Members list shows that there are about 4 sponsors per page. Since there are 95 pages in the list, that would suggest that there are a total of about 400 Sponsors. The actual total could be off by +/- 25 members from this estimate, but I don't think it is more than that. Does that help?

Bill
I don't know how many TrailManors have ever been built these days, but my last estimate suggested that it's a surprisingly small number, of which 400+ on this forum could be a quorum. Anybody heard a recent number from the company? If not, lets try decoding a recent VIN number.

ShrimpBurrito
09-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I think a diecast Trailmanor replica would be a fine piece of collectors memorabilia, and a must have for TM owners.

I own a Boston Whaler boat, and Danbury Mint produced a Whaler replica several years ago. It's awesome. The motor turns when you turn the steering wheel, the anchor locker door opens, the trailer wheels turn, there are removable oars, life jackets, and fishing rods, and it is one finely detailed model. Very cool, and think a TM model would be just as cool. But unfortunately, I still have not been able to get the engine to start. :D

I could be wrong, but I don't think volume demands are as critical as most other products; they are limited production runs, anyway. The Whaler was ~$125 or so, and they command at least as much on eBay now that production has ceased. Depending on the level of detail, I may even be willing to pay a bit more.

I've contacted Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint suggesting that they make such a replica, and will follow-up if I receive a substantive response.

Dave

ShrimpBurrito
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I just said the forum has "thousands of users", based on the fact the Members List page. While they may not all be active or paying, they may all find out about such a replica if announced here. The more the better.

Dave

wmtire
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Dave, I think Trailmanor would be the first ones to contact about it. I'm not an attorney, but I'm sure their name is copyrighted, along with their designs being patented. They most likely would have to give permission or assign license agreements to anyone wanting to make a replica of their trailers.

Maybe if enough of us contact Trailmanor, they may see an opportunity to promote their anniversary like Hi-Lo did with theirs.

Bill
09-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Since we have drifted a little off-topic, it is funny ya mention that. I asked Bill if Trailmanor had ever built a diecast model of their trailer a year or so back after seeing this one available from Hi-Lo.

http://www.hilotrailer.com/resinmodel.htm

Maybe we can start our own thread about it and ask the factory if they have any plans for one, especailly since this is their anniversary.Bobby -

The Hi-Lo replica you asked about is described as being resin-cast. In other words, plastic of one sort or another - and since the ad doesn't say that the parts move, I bet they don't. And so it would be considerably less expensive than a die-cast (probably metal) unit with moving parts, such as Dave describes. If the cost difference is, say, 2-to-1 or 3-to-1, does this drive anyone's decision?

Dave - in a die-cast model, would you expect the shells to go up and down? Now that would be cool!

Bill

[By the way, I combined the two threads here, since the content was diverging.]

ShrimpBurrito
09-11-2008, 08:11 AM
A replica manufacturer would definitely need a license from TM, but I don't think there's a difference as to whether it's TM or the replica manufacturer that initiates contact to begin license negotiations. But I agree that contacting TM might increase the chances of this happening, or at least happening sooner, so I'd be more than happy to contact Ed. He may have already seen this thread anyway. If anyone has his email, please PM me....otherwise, I'll give him a call.

For me, already having a diecast replica, and after seeing the Hi-Lo replica, a resin replica would be disappointing. The visual and functional detail of diecast would simply be many times more appealing, and IMHO, worth the cost. I think Bill's 3-to-1 diecast-to-resin cost ratio is accurate.

Dave

Bill
09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't know how many TrailManors have ever been built these days, but my last estimate suggested that it's a surprisingly small number, of which 400+ on this forum could be a quorum. Anybody heard a recent number from the company? If not, lets try decoding a recent VIN number.Let me offer some pretty non-scientific non-informed stuff.

First, with 140 employees, I bet they're building considerably more than whatever might be called "a surprisingly small number".

Second, when I visited the factory two or three years back, they had about a dozen units on the floor in various stages of production. Assuming it takes 3 days, start to finish, to build a TM, then they would build 12 units in 3 days, or 4 units per day. If they work a standard work week (250 days a year), that would mean 1000 units a year.

Told you it was non-scientific!

Bill

Mr. Adventure
09-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I consider 1000 per year to be a "surprisingly small number."