PDA

View Full Version : Why not a Dometic refer?

judddds
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
As a prospective buyer of a Trailmanor, can anyone tell me why a Dometic refer is not standard, or optional, on these trailers? Their more automatic operation, especially with the auto light feature in LP mode would certainly be easier. Just of thought.

PopBeavers
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
As a prospective buyer of a Trailmanor, can anyone tell me why a Dometic refer is not standard, or optional, on these trailers? Their more automatic operation, especially with the auto light feature in LP mode would certainly be easier. Just of thought.

The autolight feature wwould be dangerous. When the TM is closed, do not run the fridge on propane.

I have used a MH that had a fridge that switched automagically. I did not like it. Every time I stopped for gas it switched to propane, so I had to turn it off. Then I had to remember to turn it back on.

For my TM fridge I just use 12 volts when towing, shore power when available and propane when camping and there is no shore power.

I would not want the fridge to switch to propane just because I unplugged the TM from the truck. I don't always open the TM immediately.

judddds
06-25-2008, 09:22 AM
PopBeavers, Thanks for your reply. With this smaller Dometic model the refer must be manually switched to and from dc power. If you are running on dc when on the road, the unit stays on dc until switched to the auto setting. In auto mode, the unit switches automatically between lp and ac power, so there is no danger of the lp pilot lighting. I would really like the auto gas ignition when camped.

PopBeavers
06-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I am a little confused. If you have shore power why would you be interested in automagically switching to lp? I suppose if it was at a seasonal site that you only use on weekends and want to keep stuff in the fridge then that might make some sense. Or are you trying to switch from lp to shore power when the propane runs out?

Since I never camp where I have shore power my view is rather biased.

At any rate, when running the fridge while closed, just make sure it is not on propane and that the external fridge fan is on.

judddds
06-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks again for your reply. I camp like you do, and that is without shore power 95% of the time. I like the feature primarily due to the auto relight capability. Since I am usually gone for most of the day, I know that if the pilot goes out for some reason, usually wind, then the burner automatically relights and I have cooling. Also, although it is really not very significant, the flame is only on when the thermostat calls for cooling. Our family has been motorhoming for about 25 years and enjoy the lifestyle. I have always liked the TM concept. I would appreciate any suggestions for better use of the trailer. Thanks again.

PopBeavers
06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I had a problem during 2005 with the pilot not staying lit on the fridge. This was resolved by installing the repair kit that is documented in a service bulletin.

Other than that, the flame has never gone out. I have never been worried about it. We are frequently away from camp from 9 am until 5 pm, sometimes in temperatures in the 90s.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your situation and desires.