PDA

View Full Version : Wire for Solar Panel

WildWG
06-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I hope that this will be my last inquiry about mounting solar panels.

What type of wire is recommended. I am mounting a solar panel on the front of the curb side of the front shell of our 2619 and figure to need a run of 26' for the wire to reach to the rear street side of the shell, down the lift arm and under the trailer to the battery in front. Will outdoor ROMEX do the job? I have been advised to use 12 gauge wire.

Thanks again:

WWG

Bill
06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Romex is probably not the best choice, but only because it is solid wire and not very flexible. I would buy a 12 gauge extension cord (nice and flexible) and cut the connectors off.

Bill

Caver
06-14-2008, 05:16 AM
WWG,

You want to minimize the voltage drop so the wire size depends on the distance and current. Check the instructions for your charge controller. With 180 watts of panels at 12 volts I used stranded 10 gauge wire. I actually had the factory pre-wire it for me on my 2004 3023. There should be some photos posted. The 2619 doesn't have as much room on the rear shell to mount the solar panels so mounting on the front is your best option.

As far as the specific wire the finer stranded the better. In an RV wire gauge is a compromise between efficiency and weight. I have the smaller diameter plastic wire shield around mine. You can buy these in automotive stores.

Let know how it's going. Ray

grill-n-go
06-14-2008, 05:39 AM
RVSolarelectric.com recommends an outdoor 10 gauge wire. In my conversations with them, they've expressed concern about the long term effects of the elements on a wire that is exposed to the elements 24x7

ShrimpBurrito
06-14-2008, 11:20 AM
If you're worried about the wire being exposed to the elements, get tinned wire. It is much more resistant to corrosion, and is what is used in boats and boat trailers, the latter of which gets dunked into salt water. I once put regular wire on my boat trailer, and it barely made it through a season before the wires turned to dust. Tinned wire lasts much longer.

Dave