PDA

View Full Version : Stymied

WildWG
06-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the advice on torsion adjustment; I think I was able to tweak it enough to mount a solar panel.

Now, checking out the surface of the trailer roof, where I plan to glue aluminum squares upon which I will screw down the solar panel mounts, I note that the roof seems to be composed of painted aluminum. Before I start spreading this $60.00 worth of glue, do I need to sand off the paint from the trailer roof?

I appreciate help on this. It's holding up the "Newly
Retired Road Trip" and my wife is blaming all delays on me.

WWG

Bill
06-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Did you find the original post re "glue" from Rocky Mtn Ray?
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034
He went into it all in some detail, though I don't recall if he sanded or not. However, his pictures don't show any sign of sanding, and his descriptions were so comprehensive that I have to think he would have mentioned sanding if he did it.

You can probably contact him over at the Toyota Tundra forum, where he is a moderator.

Bill

alexcua
06-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Usually you do not need to sand the substrate ('roof') unless it is chalky. If it has been previously waxed, then just scrub gently with detergent.

The best way to test for adhesion is to apply the adhesive on the roof and then lay a 2" x 6" piece of fabric. (gauze will do or cheesecloth). Leave about 1.5" free. Let the glue dry overnight and pull on the loose end straight up perpendicular to the roof. If the adhesion is good, the glue should not pull cleanly off. It should shear and leave some glue on the roof.

If the adhesion is very strong, don't keep pulling it at a 90 angle to remove it, you might delaminate the roof. Instead, pull horizontally.

Paints and glues are very similar materials.

For a video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQyFh4CaELU.

**** Before you use any fastener on the roof, remember that steel and aluminum are not compatible. When aluminum touches steel and water is introduced, the steel will rust at an accelerated rate. This is why it is never a good idea to use aluminum pop rivets on a galvanized iron sheet.