PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your TrailManor?

inthepink
05-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi there,
I am considering buying a TM and I started to browse these threads a little bit. I know that most people must be happy with theirs to be on these threads, but I can't help but to have noticed a lot of comments about things like leaks and cold air coming in where there are gaps in trailer and very uncomfortable beds/mattresses. Which leads me to wonder...

Are you really happy with your TrailManor?

Would you suggest that someone buy a Trailmanor?

Do you feel that Trailmanor's have problems/challenges particular to TrailManor's that are difficult to resolve (leaks, etc.)

Anyone who has had a TrailManor and a "traditional" trailer who can give comparisons?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann

LittleRhodey
05-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Although you will find all sorts of comments about problems, my feeling is that we are sharing work arounds and solutions to things that are bothering us, like any homeowner. We want our TM to be personalized to exactly how we like it. And some of us are more fussy than others. But we love our TM!

We have been owners for about 6 weeks and have been out camping three times already, in addition to the time we use it in our driveway to acclimate ourselves to all the systems and features. The bed was not as comfortable as our $1000 softsided waterbed but we have added a pillow topper and now are quite happy. The shower curtains added too much fabric to the shower experience, but we have added two walls worth of velcroed clear plastic shower curtain and I love it. The tiny gaps between the walls and the mattress create cold on frigid nights but we covered them and were cozy and warm.

The benefits far outweigh any problems. A 3 way refrigerator that freezes ice cubes and holds lots more than it looks like it might. 2 water heaters that both work very well for all needs. Beds that can be left where they are and not folded up or stowed each day. Storage for all the things we like to bring along with no suitcases or extraneous baggage. A great oven for baking goodies on the road. One of my best memories was camping in a tent but visiting my grandmother's camper for something scrumptious whose scent was wafting through the campground from her oven. Now I can do that!

I read the forum almost daily for hints and ideas and support since the time we began to think about buying a TM, but through it all, I think I have only read one post that stated that they would not have bought the TM. One post from many thousand I have read. That's quite a resounding endorsement!

Ask your questions in the prospective owners section of the forum. You'll get your answers today or tomorrow. And when you make up your mind to join us as an owner, we'll help you make it just like you want it.

Good luck!

Joseph
05-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Are you really happy with your TrailManor?

More or less... a resounding YES! Especially with the price of gas lately.

Would you suggest that someone buy a TrailManor?

Yes.

Do you feel that Trailmanor's have problems/challenges particular to TrailManor's that are difficult to resolve (leaks, etc.)

TM's are unique. The is no other TT on the market that does what it can do.
By definition the problems are unique but are not major nor hard to effect repair of. Mine had never leaked nor has it had any problem unique to the design. Had the outside shower hose crack. My bad on that one. Replaced it no problem with parts from Adam at TM. LOL :D

Anyone who has had a TrailManor and a "traditional" trailer who can give comparisons?

Only had a pop up before the TM. The TM is light years ahead of the pop-up IMHO. It is not as " rough and tumble " as the pop up was, but heck, neither am I anymore!..:) Small price to pay for solid walls that fold down IMO.

Think about what you want from a TT. Good luck with you search!

Scott O
05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
On a forum like this you may think there is too much negative so there is a problem with the TM. But the nature of the beast is we are asking for advice in improving or fixing relative minor things. There are some clever people on this forum. There are no fatal flaws or really big problems with the TM. Many of the issues are regarding TMs purchased used that may not have had good care. You store anything outside and bang it around for 10 years and there will be problems. These issues have nothing to do with the design or construction of the TM.

We purchased ours new and thoroughly enjoy it. Had a couple of minor problems, both of which were not specific to the TM design...could have occurred on any RV. Bottom line; is the TM better than a full size trailer? Nope, if you are not concerned with towing size, storage, or gas. If you have lots of $$$, a full sized trailer is probably easier to use once you get to your destination. But if you need to tow with your existing vehicle and operating expenses are a concern, nothing does it as well as a TM. We would buy another in a heartbeat!!!

ng2951
05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
...comments about things like leaks and cold air coming in where there are gaps in trailer and very uncomfortable beds/mattresses...Yes it has its gaps and if I were using out on the frozen tundra I might have to do a little adjusting to get it right as far as gaps go.

On the bed issues, most of those center around some of the smaller beds in TMs with the large living rooms. I think those are mostly understood and only rear their head when children become adults.

Are you really happy with your TrailManor?Yes, very much so. When I tell someone I have a 33' trailer and I get 16-18mpg pulling it behind my V6 Tacoma they are amazed.

I hate just talking about the bathroom, but when you look at most popups, the bathrooms really look like bathroom with a vinyl curtain around it. You would be pretty hard to please to not be happy with a TM bathroom as far as TT of its size go.

The only thing close are the larger Hi-Los, but some of them weigh in loaded at 6,000 lbs.

Would you suggest that someone buy a Trailmanor?That would depend on the mission they have planned. If they don't care about the fuel bite (for example they own a large diesel tow rig) they are not gaining much advantage with a TM. If they want a toy hauler, or a 5th wheel type the TM is not for them.

Of course, if you are operating a gas fueled TV a TM is a heck of TT. Because of its construction TM put lots of windows in it. The use of ligher interior colors makes the TM look and feel more open. Add to that the low profile and lightweight you have a gas efficient TT.

Do you feel that Trailmanor's have problems/challenges particular to TrailManor's that are difficult to resolve (leaks, etc.)Problems particular too the TM the answer is certainly yes. More difficult to resolve the answer is no. Using this forum and a good RV dealership or repair shop I believe any of the problems are resolvable.

Queeniereads
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
WE had a pop-up, then a travel trailer, now a trailmanor. We are way past a pop-up even though we had a nice one. We were isn a terrible accident in Idaho with our travel trailer and wanted something that tows small but gives us space and confort. It takes us no more than 15 minutes to set up or tear down on a good day -- 30 mins if we poke around a bit. Hubby does outside and I do inside. ANd , voila, we have a travel trailer that arrived using up only 2 mph of gas over our non-towing mode. Everyone modifies the TM -- we added a recliner and Select Comfort beds to our 3124KS. Hubby added a nice sewer connection piece that you can see thru. We have nice towel bars in the bathroom that disassemble and a great shoebag for clothies in the wardrobe. But, we are quite pleased with our TM and have no plans on trading it at this point. Are we happy with i? YES! Queen

Shandysplace
05-29-2008, 11:37 AM
We purchased our '08 3326 last December and couldn't be more pleased. We're not nearly as 'do-it-yourself' savvy as most TMers, so having a dealer with a good service dept. made the difference for us. Whatever problems we've had were minor and could largely be chalked up to our inexperience (never owned any kind of RV before).

TMs seem to be in a constant state of improvement. Our bed is completely sealed to the outside, so the drafts others refer to in older models are not evident in ours.

inthepink
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I really appreciate hearing all of this. Now I have anothere question. Mayb I should post a new thread, but I will try here first.

I just learned about the toilet. Honestly, it sounds kinda.... I'll say "yucky" for lack of a better word but maybe I am just ill-informed. It flushes with waste water? Can you please expand on this? I mean, it sounds gross, but I am assuming that it must not be as bad as it sounds or else everyone wouldn't love TM so much. Is the water that it flushes with brownish? Does it smell bad? Is it hard to dump the toilet? It is at cassette type toilet or do you hook something up to something else to dump it?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann

tharris30
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
We just bought a 2008 2720SL (Super Love) after owning one of the "A" frame pop-ups. I couldn't get my wife to go anywhere in the "A" but now she never wants to go home from our camping expetitions. We travel with a Rottweiler and a large ragdoll cat (18#) so we did needed more space. I agree that the beds are the weak point of the trailer but foam topper pads make them excellent sleepers. There is so much floor space that the "Princess", da dog, has plenty of floor space for her cushy bed. The cat loves all of the padded ledges that are at window viewing height and never stops prowling.

The galley is total and well laid out and has everything that a portable home could want. The refrigerator is extremely efficient and will freeze things in the lower compartment if set too cold.

The bathroom is a bit small but them I am 270#, 6'2 so what can I expect. It works for me and it is not where I spend most of my time when camping. The shower curtain is way too long and takes up a lot of space making the shower seem small. Cutting it shorter, but not too short, helps a lot with the small-shower-syndrome.

With what is happening with $$gas$$, I am delighted that I didn't take advantage of the great deals that are out there on motorhomes, even class C. My TM takes approximately 2 mpg off my normal mileage of 16 mpg (Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD w/HEMI) - erh! erh! erh. The Jeep doesn't even know that the TM is behind it and I have virtually no tow limits - off road, mountains, wet weather.

At 67 y.o. it took some getting used to during setup. But now, I can do it single handed in about ten minutes. Unhitch, level, power, water, assemble interior, pour a drink. Ready!! I am an inovator-futzer and the TM is quite a challenge to improve but is fun to work with.

I do recommend it if camping $$$ are limited but your partner still requires luxury away from home. WE even have HDTV, while out camping??? Go figure.

PopBeavers
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
We took delivery of our 2005 TM 2720 in April 2005. We have used it around 20 trips, mostly weekends.

I had one serious warranty issue. A crack developed in the frame. This was repaired an I believe it was my problem that resulted in a design change at the factory for TMs with a factory installed swing tongue.

The front bed was slightly off level. This was corrected by the dealer.

I was getting a draft through the seal between the upper rear shell and the bottom shell, behind the closet. I drilled a new hole in the bracket to bring the upper shell in a little tighter and that solved the problem.

Due to my mistake, there are three places where the laminate (Formica) has chipped on the sides of the counter tops. I will replace two pieces of laminate when I get around to it.

My fridge failed after six months. It would not stay lit on propane. This was repaired by the dealer. Norcold has a service bulletin for this know problem. This is not a TM issue.

I have added three drawers to the cabinet under the microwave drawer to make it easier to use. This resulted in a modest decrease in storage capacity.

I have one screw for the door frame for the water heater that wiggles loose. I tighten in once a year. I should add some caulk to solve that problem.

Otherwise it is flawless. I have no complaints. I frequently read posts at www.rv.net, another website that is not specific to any trailer, and many people over there have far more problems than I have ever had.

tharris30
05-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I really appreciate hearing all of this. Now I have anothere question. Mayb I should post a new thread, but I will try here first.

I just learned about the toilet. Honestly, it sounds kinda.... I'll say "yucky" for lack of a better word but maybe I am just ill-informed. It flushes with waste water? Can you please expand on this? I mean, it sounds gross, but I am assuming that it must not be as bad as it sounds or else everyone wouldn't love TM so much. Is the water that it flushes with brownish? Does it smell bad? Is it hard to dump the toilet? It is at cassette type toilet or do you hook something up to something else to dump it?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann

I had to LMAO when I read this post. I had the same concerns but after using it instead of the alternative, pine cones, it seems ok. Be sure to put in potty chemicals as they deodorize it and break down the "concerns". I guess I have changed to minimally-gross for an opinion after a three day and several one day utilizations of the facilities. Emptying is is a piece of cake, so to speak. Just be sure to have your wastwater hose properly connected (AT both ENDS) B4 opening the valve under the toilet. Then I close the valve, run some clean water into the toilet, FLUSH, and reopen the valve to flush it OUT FULLY. FOLLOW MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS and/or ask the sales person when purchasing. Maybe a demo would be good!!!

P.S. With chemicals, the water is BLUE!

Al-n-Sue
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
We have had two popups (one when kids were young and one as we became empty nesters) and a tent - when the kids were really little. Since we camp now with 2 other couples who have TM, we knew about them long before we purchased. We bought a 5 yr old 3124 to get the king bed and extra storage - and it was in excellent shape. It is almost as good as our friend's 2006 model.

Our latest experience with a popup (and it was a nice one) was very good, but the time it took to set it up and take it down, combined with the bear issue (at almost all parks in Colorado) makes the TM a good choice for us. And I didn't have to change TV which is a big deal.

A TM owner has to recognize some compromises from a TT, but given that, it is a good fit for a lot of people.

As said here before, the "problems" with a TM are unique to the design, and are generally not significant. Ask anyone who has owned any type of RV and you'll hear lots of horror stories about quality, repairs, and upgrades. That is why Triailer Life and Good Sam have a consumer hot line and publish a big book on RV Maintenance! We have friends who just purchased a new 5th wheel and have already had to replace a shower head and are already needing some replacement parts for their trailer.

Bottom line - we love our TM. We waited over 5 years to get it, using our popup in the meantime. And given the price of gas, the fuel savings over a TT or 5er makes it a very good choice - albeit a compromise of sorts.

Good luck on your decision.
Alan

Al-n-Sue
05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I had a cassette toilet in my popup - it was messy to empty and although flushed with fresh water, was still smelly even with chemicals in the holding tank. The TM toliet is not any worse, and flushes much better. It dumps just like a regular black water tank would. The flush water is filtered and uses chemicals so is not "yucky" at all.

Biggest problem may be with it filling up on longer trips with no hookups. Take a portable tote to empty into and you are set for those long boondock trips!

We just did a 4 night trip over Memorial Day and ours was not full, but close. But that included some "intestinal issues" that came about the last two nights and required additional use of the toilet - rather than head to the campground facility in 40 degree cold!

This toilet is just like those used on airplanes and boats, so is nothing new or unique to TM.

countrygirl
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes we are happy...and we love ours...we would buy again!

mtnguy
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Thank you,
Rae-Ann

Rae-Ann, you will here 2 sides to the Thetford toilet......those that love it, and those that hate.....and maybe some in between. ;) I like ours, and it is a good fit for TM and especially boon-docking as it doesn't use any water other than the initial charge.

The toilet does flush with strained waste water.....and that sounds lucky if you think about it to much. There is a screen similar to a washing machine basket in the bottom of the toilet. Human waste goes into the middle of this basket, and the flush water is pumped from the outside of this basket.....thus solids remain in the middle and not the flush water.

You do an initial charge of ~3 gal. of water, then you don't add anymore....the charge can be done at home before you leave to save your onboard water. You add a small bottle of deodorant, and I have as of yet smelled anything bad coming from the toilet....just the deodorant smell.

You dump the toilet similar to other RVs. You pull a handle on the outside of the TM, and then 1 on the bottom of the toilet. After dumping, you close the inside valve, close the outside valve, and dump the gray water tank which helps clean the lines.

Hope this helps, Chap

inthepink
05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Thank you, everyone, for all of the info. It is sounding not so bad at all except...

There is a screen similar to a washing machine basket in the bottom of the toilet. Human waste goes into the middle of this basket, and the flush water is pumped from the outside of this basket.....thus solids remain in the middle and not the flush water.

This basket is not visible in the toilet when you just lift the lid, right?

Thank you again,
Rae-Ann

mtnguy
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Thank you, everyone, for all of the info. It is sounding not so bad at all except...

This basket is not visible in the toilet when you just lift the lid, right?

Thank you again,
Rae-Ann

Negative. The toilet looks like any other toilet by looking into the bowl. If you take a flashlite and look down the hole towards the front of the toilet, then you can see some of the screen. Hope that isn't too much information. :rolleyes:

Chap

TraceyMac
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
We have had our TM now for about 6 months. This is the first of any type of camping equipment we have owned. My wife and I both love it and I should mention that she is not really the outdoors type - there is more than enough creature comfort involved to satisfy her.
As far as the toilet goes, I initially had the same concerns as you, but as many others have stated, it really is a non issue. It looks like a regular toilet when you look into it (i.e. you don't see more than you want to) and when you flush, it is just blue water that is visible as the flushing agent. Smell has never been any more than the deodorant smell of the blue chemical that is used.
I would thoroughly recommend a TM to anyone who wanted an easy to tow, assemble. take down, and store in the garage travel, trailer.

PopBeavers
05-29-2008, 07:52 PM
For sake of completeness, I will mention that some people like to add a deodorizing tablet. Potty Toddy, available from Camping World, seems to be relatively popular.

When I store the TM closed in the garage, I like to have the toilet charged with fresh water, on the theory that water on the seals will help keep them from drying out and cracking. I toss one Potty Toddy tablet in at the same time. I add the chemicals when we set up camp.

Queeniereads
05-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Hubby says that he would choose to put this toilet in any other future RV that we could possible own. We have only once had a problem with odor and that was moldy odor from storing it for over 2 years. If you have a problem with odor, put a bit more chemical in. Everything about the TM is a learning experience, and it is very forgiving. Last week, we forgot to put the steps in, so it is sitting in our driveway with the steps out. Hubby keeps telling me that this is supposed to be CAMPING. I said, "I only do luxury." Queen

ng2951
05-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I agree the toilet is hardly a problem. Its just like the ones on aircraft except for the flapper door on the bottom of the door.

The chemicals that are used in the toilet is what makes everything work right. It is a real witches brew designed to kill anything microbial. Dittos on using potty toddy, it really tops off the system, though I have had good results without using them.

I will say that if you do not empty it after a few weeks it will develop a slight odor. I think that is because some of the lighter components in the blue water might have evaporated off. But realistically you will probably have to empty before then anyway.

LizarooK
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
We are new owners and just took our first trip with our 2006 2720SL. We loved it! We are not RV'ers, but have tent camped for many years. I got tired of fighting my way out of the tent to go out in 40 degree weather to use the facilities. We have been looking at TM's for a few years, because we thought the design was so great!
We had so much fun this last week, figuring out all the "bells and whistles". I imagine that some may not like the set up part of the TM, but we find it fun and not hard at all. We have trained our 17 year old twins on how to set it up too, so if we forget something, they can assist!
We look forward to many years of camping and fun, and with the help of the great folks on the forum, we can minimize the problems!
Liz K.

LifeIsGood
06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
We LOVE our Trailmanor! This is our first trailer (only did tent camping before) and we feel we made the best choice for us. We are amazed at how comfortable we've been in it from day one. We've slept in it on a few cold winter nights and the furnace kept us warm and toasty. There are no drafts to speak of if you make sure your blankets cover all the way to the edges around your bed. I've read so many posts about the bed being uncomfortable but we find it to be awesome! We sleep so soundly on it - it is firm but like a tempur-pedic mattress where your body slowly sinks into it to give you great support. I'm wondering if the mattresses have been improved in the newer models? If not, can anyone out there tell me if after awhile they start to lose their firmness and get sinky which would make them uncomfortable in that way? The bathroom may be small but most bathrooms in trailers are quite small. I find the shower perfect for me and my arms don't touch the shower curtain while washing my hair - it extends out further than the tub (but I am small 5'-1"). We bought a port-a-privy outdoor shower for the men so they'd have more room at Cabela's for $40. The bathroom fan defogs the mirror in less than 5 minutes even with the window shut and the lighting is great in the bathroom for putting on your makeup. :p Tons of lighting and comfort and enough space to move around and not feel claustrophobic - all in a pop-up camper. When we realized that the big box trailers cut your mileage in half, it became an easy choice for us. Little problems like a cracked kitchen sprayer head are minor and would probably happen in any type of RV. This forum is the best support one could find for an owner of a TM, too. Go check them out and have a dealer show you how to open and close one and sit in one for awhile and get a feel for it. Good luck with your choice!

Linda
08 2720SL
07 GMC Sierra 1500 w/Crew Cab

ng2951
06-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Well after a trip from Louisiana to near Albuquerque, NM (2-weeks) our mileage really suffered in the high mountains between 9-14 mpg dragging our 3326 behind our V6 Tacoma. Flatlands mileage was 16-18.

Our only real problem has been getting the refrigerator to run on the TV (tow vehicle) DC. We are still trying resolve that one.

kempert
06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Absolutely!

bama-tm
06-24-2008, 06:23 AM
I have only had my 2619 for a short time but we love it. My wife has really enjoyed it and our kids think its the best thing ever!

I really like how I can store it in my garage.

It was a real conversation peice at the campground with our neighbors the first day in camp. Everyone was like.."I would really like to have one of those"!

We looked for a month and finally found a 2006 which was barely used at all and we got a great deal.

Good luck

GDORancher
06-24-2008, 09:48 AM
We have a 3326 we bought in 2006 and love it and the concept. We have had pop-ups and a 26' pull-behind. These have almost no observable effect on fuel economy and little wind effect. The only reason we want to sell ours is that we have used it only one time and then I had back surgery which makes it difficult for me to help my aging wife put it up. If I was healthy, I could set up by myself. Just use a little common sence and the Trailmanor should give years of fun and go.

ng2951
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Let me add, if you have problems lifting the shells into place (like GDORancher), get the powered jack on the front. If you lower the nose of the trailer it becomes significant to lift the shells into place by tilting the trailer fore and aft.

GDORancher
06-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Help. How can a jack help in lifting?
GDORancher
[email protected]

ShrimpBurrito
06-25-2008, 02:36 PM
When the front of the trailer is tilted downwards, the front shell is easier to open. When the rear of the trailer is tilted downwards, the rear shell is easier to open.

So you could open the front shell first, with the tongue as close to the ground as possible, and then raise the tongue up off the ground as much as possible to open the rear shell. An electric jack, like this one:

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=28020&SID=15&DID=45&CID=431

...just makes this process easier because you don't have crank the jack manually.

You'll also want to be sure your torsion bars are adjusted properly so you are getting maximum lift assistance. Any TM dealer would probably do this free of charge...it doesn't take very long.

Dave