PDA

View Full Version : Best time to buy?

mrmurph1
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
My husband and I have researched TrailManor extensively and feel a 3124KB would work the best for us. Price is the only downside.:eek: Is there any time to buy that is better than another? I think prices are high here (Cape Cod) right now because we are just beginning our season. We also have the only TrailManor Dealer in Massachusetts here so there is no competition at all. We would be able to travel if we find a better deal. Any financing companies better than others? Other TrailManor dealers? Any ideas?:confused:
We are also curious about some of the options listed. What is the Panel@Sofa's? Is it worthwhile to get the countertop/ drawer that gives you extended counter space or is that something that can be added later?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bluegrass
04-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Don't feel bound to the closest dealership. Once you know EXACTLY which options you want on your trailer, call two or three other dealers that are nearest and ask for a quote. That will give you leverage.

In my case (I'm in Utah) I called dealers in S. California, Utah, and Colorado to get prices on my configuration. It is not unusual for dealers to sell over the phone and ship the trailer or for you to drive a bit to get it. In any case, getting several dealer prices will help you negotiate with your local dealer. My experience is that you should get at least 15% off MSRP and depending on how much you want to haggle, may get between that and 20%. You can haggle over their transportation cost. Tax and License on top of that.

Shop banks and credit unions yourself for financing rather than relying on dealers. If you have a good credit score, you'll do better.

"Panel at the sofa" is a cloth covering on the "wall" beneath the front bed that the sofas butt up against.

Microwave counter & drawer is a tad pricey for what it is. It simply makes the counter beside the hanging locker the same height as the counter next to the stove. I got one but it certainly isn't necessary and can be added later.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ng2951
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
The sad thing now is that the 3124 is TM's best seller.

Personally, I think the option of having a tile floor is a good one. Its a bear to keep carpet looking good, and rugs are cheap to replace.

I am guessing that you have already personally examined 3124s. If not, it would be well worth the effort to check one out and see if the options are worth it.

I would not get a microwave. The suckers are just too darn cheap at Wally World.

Mr. Adventure
04-13-2008, 10:25 PM
We've always felt that the best time to buy new is in the early spring when you can get the show prices. We also found that you can get dealers to bid against each other, and the Internet is a great way to find several who will be competitive.

With TrailManors, there are not such major differences from year to year, and you might be able to get an '04 or '05 for about half the price of a new one (obviously, you need to know both the new market and the resale market in order to evaluate your purchase options). Our observation is that the resale market peaks in the front end of the camping season, and then bottoms out in the late Fall. Either way, I'd say that the thrifty buyer should be either buying right now, or waiting until the end of the summer for resale or early next year to get the 2009 model at the show prices.

The advantage of working through a dealer is having someone to fix things before you arrive, having quick/easy access to a financing arrangement, and having a responsible business to come back to with a grievance if necessary. The advantage of working with a private party is avoiding the dealer's markup and having the chance to actually talk to the people with the most experience in your prospective RV. Most buyers have a good experience either way, but you always have to be cautious, of course, about major purchases.

We bought a 2005 3023 last September on Ebay for $13000, and it looked like it had never been used. Recently there was one sold on Ebay for 19,000 and at least some of that price difference was seasonal. For resale, try a Google search on "for sale" "TrailManor" and your favorite model numbers to see what's out there!

For options, we prefer the microwave to the oven because it is also works as a regular oven and a toaster oven. Mostly though, we use one button a lot for warming up cups of coffee or tea. In our area, you have electric hookups when you camp 90% of the time, so that's the preferred fuel source anyway. And of course when you camp near towns and cities there are places to eat nearby that don't involve RV ovens very much, no matter what kind of ovens they are.

Best of luck, and let us know how you come out.

Queeniereads
04-14-2008, 11:54 AM
First of all, I would like to say that if you are planning a long term relationship with a TrailManor, you could not ask for a better dealership than MCD on Cape Cod. We felt the prices were similar to others we checked when we bought our TM in 2005. THey will not shortcut you on repairs and they will answer all questions patiently -- at least that has been our experience. Queeniereads of Providence

TREXHUNTERS
04-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Regarding the extra countertop drawer; I wouldn't get it. We're 2 weeks into a 26 week trip and it has already fallen apart. I have re-built it (kinda) but it doesn't seem to be built too well.

If the extra drawer is what is important to you a better option may be to buy one of the large plastic drawers from any of the large dept. stores that sell storage things. It is much larger, will sit higher than the countertop, and fits right into the slot. We debated doing this before we left.

If it's the extra counter-space then its probably a good option for you.

Bill
04-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Trex -

I'm sorry to hear that your countertop drawer came apart. Perhaps your dealer (or TM) would make that right for you. We didn't have one in our first TM, but we got one with our second TM, and it has been great. At this point, we wouldn't be without it.

For us, the extra counter space is a great place to put the microwave that we carry. The thing is heavy, and I doubt that a plastic drawer would hold the load. Since counter space is at a premium, we are glad to have it. We use the drawer for misc things that won't fit in the silverware drawer with the silverware. Big utensils, corkscrew, butane lighter, knife sharpener, and so forth.

To each his own.

Bill

mgoblue911
04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree with you Bill. We are very happy that we chose this option. Ours has been more than hearty enough. It holds all of our flatware and knives. We intentionally put this heavy stuff in here because it rides on the floor and therefore has less stress on the drawer. Also, it is designed to fit in what would otherwise be an awkward space. Finally, it leaves the very handy toaster/coffee pot outlet available.

Just my 2 cents...

TREXHUNTERS
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, I agree. If counter-space is the primary need the extra counter-top drawer is the way to go.

trex

Bill & Lisa
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I agree that the Drawer is a good option. DW loves her counterspace. Never had problems with it falling apart.

I think Sept/Oct is a great time to buy "year end closeout" inventory "IF" they have what you want. get a current NADA price because even a 2008 is "last year's model" at that point. You should get a heafty discount even if it is brand new because that status changes as soon as you drive off the lot with it.