PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Winter Trip 2008

commodor47
04-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Here is a link to photos from our Arizona winter trip. Click on any of the albums that have "Arizona Winter Trip 2008" as part of the title.

https://photos.google.com/albums

Dick & Jeri

JOEALAN
04-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Here is a link to photos from our Arizona winter trip. Click on any of the albums that have "Arizona Winter Trip 2008" as part of the title.

http://community.webshots.com/user/commodor47

Dick & Jeri

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

What month's did you go and how was the daily tempertures in the morning and night? Could I ask you how many days you were in the area? Just trying to get the feel. Like to make a trip out that way once I retire next year.

Did you find any great campgrounds? Questions, questions?

Again, great pictures, I really enjoyed them.

Joe

Bill
04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
What an incredible trip! So many of our favorite spots out here in AZ. In fact, we just got back from 3 days in Benson. My wife took a watercolor class from Mike Chiago at Amerind, while I did some geocaching in the area. Did you camp at Triangle T? We stayed at the KOA in Benson, but didn't enjoy it much, so we may switch next time.

Off topic - you have a picture of your TM battery, showing the fuseholder lying on top. The ends of the fuseholder are plainly quite brown. It is overheating, and it WILL die on you, at the most inconvenient time possible. I strongly suggest that you replace it with an ATC (flat blade automotive) fuseholder as soon as you can. A couple bucks at WalMart.

Thanks for all the great photos.

Bill

commodor47
04-08-2008, 03:56 PM
What an incredible trip! So many of our favorite spots out here in AZ. In fact, we just got back from 3 days in Benson. My wife took a class at Amerind, while I did some geocaching in the area. Did you camp at Triangle T? We stayed at the KOA in Benson, but didn't enjoy it much, so we may switch next time.

Off topic - you have a picture of your TM battery, showing the fuseholder lying on top. Then ends of the fuseholder are plainly quite brown. It is overheating, and it WILL die on you, at the most inconvenient time possible. I strongly suggest that you replace it with an ATC (flat blade automotive) fuseholder as soon as you can. A couple bucks at WalMart.

Thanks for all the great photos.

Bill

Bill,

We stayed at Pato Blanco Lakes for 6 weeks (February 4 to March 18). This is the 3rd winter we've spent at Pato Blanco . . . very nice, clean facilities.

We didn't camp at the Triangle T, but is sure looked interesting.

My wife is an artist and this year was accepted into the Verano Fine Art Gallery in Bisbee, AZ.

I have since changed out the 30 amp glass fuse for an ATC fuse and fuseholder and will replace/delete that photo . . . thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the trip compliment! We had a great time and look forward to another stay next year!

Dick

commodor47
04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
What month's did you go and how was the daily tempertures in the morning and night? Could I ask you how many days you were in the area? Just trying to get the feel. Like to make a trip out that way once I retire next year.

Did you find any great campgrounds? Questions, questions?

Again, great pictures, I really enjoyed them.

Joe

Joe,

This year we stayed in Benson, AZ at Pato Blanco Lakes RV Resort from February 4 through March 18. In 2005 and 2006 we stayed (at the same park) from January 3rd through February 4th.

The Benson area is considered high desert and does get cool to cold overnight. This year seemed to be cooler and windier than normal. Temperatures ranged from the mid to upper 20's overnight (on a few occasions) with most nights averaging in the mid to upper 40's. Daytime temperatures varied from mid 60's to low 80's by mid March. With the exception of 4 or 5 days, we experienced abundant sunshine every day. It did snow on February 5th and again about a week later . . . but didn't last very long.

There are many campgrounds in the area . . . your choice will depend in large part on what type of experience would suit your needs/interests.

We spent January 3rd through February 4th at a park in Mesa/Apache Junction, AZ, an area with many parks and more of a city feel (the Benson area has more of a small town appeal). Mesa/Apache Junction, on average, is warmer than the Benson area.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Dick

Duane C.
09-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Where did you find the Screen Room?

commodor47
09-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Where did you find the Screen Room?

We purchased the screen room from Fiamma in 2004. The design may have changed a little . . . less screen area? Be happy to answer any other questions.

Dick

TrailMan
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
How is that thermostat upgrade working for you? That is something that would be a major improvement over the stock slide thermostat. It looks like a household thermostat you would buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

commodor47
01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Trailman,

The digital thermostat works great! No more large temperature swings. Here is a link to a previous thread with information on the digital thermostat:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5693&highlight=thermostat

Scroll down to post #8

Dick

TrailMan
01-22-2009, 08:22 AM
commodor47,

Thanks for info, but I can't access the link you sent. I have been told that since a typical household thermostat operates on 24 to 28V, you need a thermostat with it's own internal battery for the trailer, such as a AA or 9V type. Is that what you used?

commodor47
01-22-2009, 08:43 AM
commodor47,

Thanks for info, but I can't access the link you sent. I have been told that since a typical household thermostat operates on 24 to 28V, you need a thermostat with it's own internal battery for the trailer, such as a AA or 9V type. Is that what you used?

Yes, the Hunter Thermostat uses two AA batteries.

Here is a copy of an earlier post (May 11, 2007). . . should help answer your questions:

Hunter Ditigal Thermostat
We installed a Hunter Digital Thermostat Model 42999B ($19.95 at Wal-Mart) two years ago and have been very pleased with the result.

http://picasaweb.google.com/commodor47/DigitalThermostat#

This model operates on a 14 volt or millivolt system (millivolt system requires two AA batteries to activate). It has the ability to run a fan and an air conditioner . . . but we only tied in the heating leg. No more 5 to 10 degree temperature swings. You do need to remember to turn the thermostat heat switch to the off position before closing down.