PDA

View Full Version : Power Lift?

Greywolf
02-09-2008, 04:24 PM
:) My husband and I are new to this forum and looking to purchase a new 2720sl. We are in our early sixties and wondering if the power lift option is really helpful. Has anybody used this and found it to be well worth the cost?We have been lurking on these boards and wish to thank everyone for their most helpful insights. We saw the TM at the Minneapolis camping show this weekend and think it is perfect for us. Years ago, we did a great deal of tent camping, but older bones now require some softer surfaces. We plan to use the TM for boondock camping for photography and fishing in northern MN with maybe a few longer side trips thrown in. We are concerned that if we camp in more wooded areas, we may have some problems with leveling..Thanks for any help.

bfezel
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
We are in a similar age group and were accustomed to widerness camping and canoeing (i.e. Boundary Waters). The ground gets harder, wetter, and colder in direct proportion to age. We moved up to the TM and are very happy with the decision. I use a 24 volt drill with an attachment I found on the internet that fits into the crank end of the jacks. Painless and fast. I would NOT go with the power option. BTW, we plan to do the BWCAW again this Fall. We can still take the ground for a few nights.

Bill
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Just to add to the discussion, I agree entirely with T_C and Bill Fezel. Power levelers are not necessary, and they are very heavy and very expensive. T_C's supply of short planks works great, and the tow vehicle does the work of side-to-side levelling, which is the heavy lifting.

However, I have to admit I am considering an electric tongue jack. Fore-aft levelling with the tongue jack is the (very) easy part of the levelling process. But to paraphrase the old German proverb, we get too soon old and too soon lazy. So I may do it.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, some people prefer to buy a couple sets of Lynx Levellers (aka Leggos, as T_C mentioned) to use in place of boards. I think you'll need about $40 worth if you boondock.

Bill

Greywolf
02-09-2008, 07:12 PM
T_C; bfezel;Bill

Thanks so much for your responses. I totally forgot about the weight issue, which was one of our deciding factors on the TM. Our TV is a 6 cyl Ford Explorer. It sounds like we can do just fine with blocks and a drill. We might check out the electric tong jack also.

We are so excited to be able to "camp" again and to be able take our two shelties with us. The Superior National Forest near the BWCA has some great rustic (outhouse, table and fire ring only - no water or garbage) campgrounds with only 1-8 sites and most on a lake. No charge and most have at least 1 or 2 sites with a parking spur of
21' or more for trailers. The area also has quite a few fee sites also, with amenities, for $10-$14. We've been restricted to renting a cabin for the past few years. Some have been very nice, but we have to plan 6 months ahead, no spur of the moment weekends and no dogs of course. Plus, the cabin rates around here have gotten very high, so we only went once a year.

Thanks again for your help. Now if the snow and ice would hurry up and melt, we can get on the road.

shunter917
02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
FWIW, the power tongue jack is worth every penny. I would definitely get that option. We had it and it was wonderful.

mike-rm-cd
03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
GET the power tongue jack; you'll never regret it!

larsdennert
03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I agree on the tongue jack. Do the power levelers have enough power to lift the TM? Otherwise they are stabalizers and not levels.

RogerR
10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
If you install a power tongue jack don't forget to put the emergency crank in your TV. An inexpensive drill and a bent rod !make great set of power lifts

Wavery
10-12-2008, 12:51 AM
I agree on the tongue jack. Do the power levelers have enough power to lift the TM? Otherwise they are stabalizers and not levels.

I have the power levelers on our TM. They can level the trailer up to about 2-3", which will do just fine in most situations. Trust me, they are a lot more than just stabilizers. They will not lift the trailer off the ground.

rajmoore
10-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Where can you find an attachment for a drill to power the leveling jacks?

Thanks,

Ron

BOB_STRONG
10-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I bought mine way back in 2002 from Camping World. It is called in their catalog a Socket Jenie. It's the quick way to lower or raise the jacks. I am sure glad that I bought it for my power drill.

It sure is better than using the hand crank!!!!

Scott O
10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Use a 3/8" allen wrench...you will see how the 'L' angle of the wrench fits into the jack.

mcgyver210
10-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I first tried the Allen Wrench but it seem to fit loosely & was actually causing damage to the hole in the jack so I sprung for the Socket Jeanie & it works GREAT! The Allen Wrench does work though.

I purchased mine from RVUpgrades along with many other items & was very happy with their service

Scott O
10-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info Billy. I was not aware of these items...looks like a step up from the allen wrench!

mcgyver210
10-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Your very welcome Scott.

I went & looked & the Socket Jenie is under $20.00 & to me a inexpensive worth while investment. I think I will buy a back up one soon.

I have been buying allot of stuff for the trailer since buying it I didn't realize how much had to be bought to have it ready to go WOW it is like a second home really.

Virginia Deacon
10-25-2008, 10:35 AM
A large allen wrench (3/8", I think) with the longest shank inserted into the drill bit and the shorter shank inserted through the hole in the leveling jack is what we use, and it works fine. Our drill is a 19.2 v Yamaha drill from National Tool; a lower-voltage drill will not do the job, IMHO.

Happy Camping!

mcgyver210
10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I use a Dewalt 18v & it is almost to powerful IMO since without the side handle it can twist out of your hand. Power depends on Brand of drill being used not just volts. Also it actually will lift the trailer off the ground if you don't watch what you are doing LOL.

Again the Allen Wrench works but it was damaging my jacks so I invested in the Socket Jenie & it does NO damage & wasn't that expensive really IMO that is especially compared to other items bought for these trailers.

lnussbau
10-26-2008, 07:16 AM
A large allen wrench (3/8", I think) with the longest shank inserted into the drill bit and the shorter shank inserted through the hole in the leveling jack is what we use, and it works fine. Our drill is a 19.2 v Yamaha drill from National Tool; a lower-voltage drill will not do the job, IMHO.

Happy Camping!

My 9.6V Makita does the job just fine, for the tedious extend and retract part, as does my 12V Black & Decker drill, though I need to use the supplied hand crank if I have to raise one side a little. I even set the ratchet to four or five (on the Makita) to get even tension when the jacks touch on extension.

That being said, if the jacks are stiff (need cleaning/lube), these two may not get the extension complete. But it's not been worth it to me to get a higher powered drill for the little they won't do, as they generally take care of the most tedious and time consuming part of the job.

RogerR
01-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I bought a 12 inch piece of steel rod and put a bend in the end. Works great and is long enough to reach all the way without going under the trailer.

I also ground flat spots on the drill end so the rod would not spin in the drill chuck.