PDA

View Full Version : Wood Frame walls

bso8870
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know a definitive answer of when wood frame walls were phased out. I am a prosepctive buyer and looking to buy a used TM. I would prefer one with the aluminum walls to prevent any chance of rot.

Thanks,

mike

rtcassel
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know a definitive answer of when wood frame walls were phased out. I am a prosepctive buyer and looking to buy a used TM. I would prefer one with the aluminum walls to prevent any chance of rot.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13858

larsdennert
02-02-2008, 01:01 AM
So basically after '99 the only structural wood left is the plywood that's laminated below the top floor skin, followed by a couple of inches of foam and then the bottom skin. This plywood keeps the floor firm. It should be pretty weather proof.

bso8870
02-02-2008, 01:44 AM
The link you attached says that 99 and up is aluminum frame in one post. Another post states 2000 and up. Does anyone know which one year the aluminum started?

Bill
02-02-2008, 08:00 AM
If you don't get a definitive answer, it should be easy to check. Set up the camper, remove a couple of screws from the lower trim on the shell. Examine the screws. Are there little bits of wood adhering to them, or are they shiny as if it just came out of aluminum? Now get a flashlight, and peek into the holes. You should be able to either see the wood or aluminum framing member. Then get an ice pick or something similar, and probe around the edge of the hole. The ice pick should dislodge some wood crumbs if there is wood present, or foam crumbs if the pick is encountering foam just inside the hole.

If you don't get a definitive answer at one hole, try another.

Bill

bso8870
02-02-2008, 03:15 PM
That was my next question. You answered with your post. Thank you.

rtcassel
02-02-2008, 04:23 PM
So basically after '99 the only structural wood left is the plywood that's laminated below the top floor skin, followed by a couple of inches of foam and then the bottom skin. This plywood keeps the floor firm. It should be pretty weather proof.
The last picture on http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Showroom/Specs/Construction.htm shows the wood in the floor construction.

larsdennert
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
On mine it felt like I drilled through plywood but the picture shows structural wood members. Interesting.