PDA

View Full Version : Wind & Fridge

mtnguy
10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
During a very windy weekend camping trip on the Skyline Drive, the fridge stopped working on propane. It would light for a short time, and then go out again. I figured it might be the wind blowing the flame out :confused:. I put duct tape over the bottom set of vents, and fridge worked fine after that. Has any one else experienced this problem, and if so, what other fixes did y'all come up with??

Thanks, Chap

mtnguy
06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
During a very windy weekend camping trip on the Skyline Drive, the fridge stopped working on propane. It would light for a short time, and then go out again. I figured it might be the wind blowing the flame out :confused:. I put duct tape over the bottom set of vents, and fridge worked fine after that. Has any one else experienced this problem, and if so, what other fixes did y'all come up with??

Thanks, Chap

I never got a response from this post before, so I thought I would try again. Same thing happened again this weekend. I again duct taped most of the bottom vents, and the fridge lit and stayed lit on propane. A little slower cooling down (because the bottom vents were blocked??) until I started the 12v fan. Just wondering if I am the only member with this problem, or maybe most members don't boondock when it is really windy??? BTW, tornado watches were in effect during part of the camping trip.

Chap

wbmiller3
06-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I haven't had this problem, but in our 7 years of ownership, I probably have 4 weeks total time running the fridge on propane. So, not the best comparison.

grill-n-go
06-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Only time I've had windy conditions was in the Outer Banks / Hateras area last year. The wind was strong enough to put out the hot water flame but we never had an issue with the fridge.

Fdxflyer
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I have had the problem frequently when the wind is blowing into the vent side. It seems once the refrig. has been up and running for awhile (hour +) I have less of a problem but even then a good gust shuts it down. I would be hesitant about directly blocking either vent but I have found anything draped a foot or so away to block the wind solves the problem.

mtnguy
06-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I have had the problem frequently when the wind is blowing into the vent side. It seems once the refrig. has been up and running for awhile (hour +) I have less of a problem but even then a good gust shuts it down. I would be hesitant about directly blocking either vent but I have found anything draped a foot or so away to block the wind solves the problem.

Aha, so I am not crazy:new_Eyecr.....there is at least 1 more owner that has this problem also!!!!

The idea of breaking the wind (can I say that ;)???) instead of taping the vent up sounds like an excellent idea........so, why didn't I think of that.:confused:

Many thanks, Fdxflyer.

Chap