PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What to Buy

Reldma
10-04-2007, 01:04 PM
We have been looking since last spring and still not sure what to buy. We like the TM, but also like the hybrid travel trailers. The TM has it all over the hybrid as far as towing and the inside space is much larger when opened and some other things, but still worry about some other things of the TM.
1. Don't the side wall and curtains get dirty and wet when towing in the rain?
2. The toilet seems like kind of a pain to dump, because the TM is closed if your not at a full service site. Does it dump as easy as the travel trailers?
3. We visited a camper dealer and they said they use to carry TM's, but had to many service problems with them being out of line. They said there is not enough support for the beds and they move side to side when used and that makes them out of alignment. Fact or Fiction?
Thanks in advance for your help!

mtnguy
10-04-2007, 01:24 PM
#1. My curtains and sidewalls have never gotten wet while traveling in the rain. That said, if the side of the TM is wet while taking down, the front shell curtains will get wet (and dirty) as it rubs up against the back shell. We try to wipedown the back shell as much as possible before closing up when wet, including the roof that goes in between the shells when folded. Dust might be a little more of a problem then with a traditional TT.

#2. After checking to make sure your exterior black water valve is closed, you can pull the inside valve right before you close the TM. At the dump station, open the exterior toilet valve, close, then pull the gray water valve to help flush the line. Remember to close the interior toilet valve when you get home. I have had to raise the TM a couple of times at the dump station when I forgot to open the interior valve....but that doesn't take but a minute or 2 more.

The beds have plenty of support (I believe they are rated @ 600 lbs. ????). You have to be somewhat careful when you push the beds in to keep them straight, but that is a minor issue with us. But 1 very important thing: Always make sure the beds are "locked in" before using them. The beds swivel up for your emergency exit, and too much weight on the back side without locking in might land you on the ground below. :eek: Haven't experienced that yet.

We looked at hybrids also. The main thing we didn't like was the towing height, and usually you have to make the beds when you open the ends. We leave the beds made in the TM, although sans pillows and thick comforters......too close of a clearance between the shells for those. I imagine there is not much time difference between setting up a TM and setting up the beds in a hybrid.

Chap

mtnguy
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I gotta push my beds at the center when closing, or they sorta bind up a little.

I forgot about having to dry the canvas.....good point Leon.

Chap

Virginia Deacon
10-04-2007, 03:15 PM
We owned several popup campers, before getting our TrailManor.

The first time out in our TrailManor was at Cherrystone RV Park on the Chesapeake Bay. Beautiful during the day, but 30 - 40 mph winds at night; we were warm and safe in our Trailmanor, rather than thinking about retreating to our car as we used to do when we were in our popup! No canvas flapping in the wind, rock-and-rolling camper, spray inside the camper during a very hard rainstorm.

The dealers that criticize TrailManor either don't know how great TrailManor's support/Customer Service is OR they are thinking about their commission for selling fifth wheelers, etc. We love our TrailManor; so will you, if you carefully select the one that meets your needs and then come to this forum for advice! ;)

Happy Camping!

mtnguy
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
No canvas flapping in the wind, rock-and-rolling camper, spray inside the camper during a very hard rainstorm.
Happy Camping!

As a previous pop-up owner, I also forgot about the canvas flapping in the wind in my previous post. The reason that we decided to sell our pop-up and move up to something else, was a very windy camping trip on the Skyline Drive that bent my main support pole on 1 side......I had to collapse that side completely and sleep on the opposite side during the wind storm.

Chap

larsdennert
10-04-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't know what a hybrid is. Maybe someone can tell me/us. The curtains stay pretty clean and dry as there are seals everywhere along the bottom. They aren't water PROOF but certainly RESISTANT. You do have to remember to close the windows on the shells. Also the front bed privacy curtain will get dirty or wet if you leave it on. I scratched my head a bit to figure out how that happened but it ends up between the shells. It just slides off easy though. The toilet seems easy enough to me. There's just an extra handle inside. I have little to compare it too though as my previous camping toilet was a one handled shovel. Cost is a big factor. The TM is expensive. You can buy a tent camper or conventional box trailer for half the price. I'll take my TM thanks. It's a compromise as it stores and tows nicely but requires a bit of setup and tear down. A Box TT has less prep in that way and a tent trailer more.

Best of luck and happy camping!

Reldma
10-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies to my questions. Maybe we have looked to much and got confused by what other folks tell us pro and con.
My wife did have another question. We have had pop ups and when we were using the beds on both ends you could feel the camper bounce when the folks on the other end moved around. Do you get the same kind of movement in the TM.
I guess one of our problems is that I want the TM and my wife wants the hybrid or expandable (whatever term you use).

Reldma
10-05-2007, 07:54 AM
One more question if you will bear with me.
Since we have had pop ups and know what they are like to tow, do TM's really tow just like a pop up?
We really do appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.
Ray

mtnguy
10-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't know what a hybrid is. Maybe someone can tell me/us.

A hybrid looks like a traditional TT when in transit, but the beds fold down similar to a pop-up when ready to camp. The mattresses are stored in the TT, and the bed has to be made each time you set up.

Chap

mtnguy
10-05-2007, 08:25 AM
We have had pop ups and when we were using the beds on both ends you could feel the camper bounce when the folks on the other end moved around. Do you get the same kind of movement in the TM.

Even with the jacks cranked down, I still get a little movement when my dog decides to move in the front bed. I imagine you would get this in any small conventional TT also, but not sure. Others??

And about towing. My TM tows a little harder than my previous pop-up....but that weighed only 995 lbs dry. Some bigger pop-ups weigh more than my 2720. The wheels are a little further back than my old pop-up, so you have to be a little more careful around sharp turns. I get minimal sway with the TM, even in some wicked cross winds when other white knuckled RV drivers are just trying to keep their rigs in the lane. I do have a WDH, but no sway control.

Chap

2bcs1jrt
10-05-2007, 09:16 AM
#1. I imagine there is not much time difference between setting up a TM and setting up the beds in a hybrid.

Chap

I have a friend with a Palomino Hybrid. one thing that I did like was the gally and bathroom were readily accessible without set up. What I did not like was the height and the canvas walls for the bed area. Often she would not even set up the real bed but instead would sleep on the dinette that converts to a bed.

Cheri

PopBeavers
10-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I have no sway problems when towing. My TV is a little larger than what some others are using. I have passed MHs that were obviously fighting a stiff cross wind, while I had no problems at all.

In my experience, the trick to getting the TM to not rock/roll/wiggle, is to chock the wheels very tightly. I set the front chocks on both wheels, and then use the TV to pull the TM tightly into the chocks. Then I set the rear chocks on both wheels as tightly as I can. Then I put the TV in neutral to let the TM settle into the center of the chocks. Then I disconnect.

I only set the the four corner jacks as tightly as my bare hand will allow me to turn it. I only use the cordless drill for rapid deployment.

Since I adopted this method my TM is so rock solid that if DD(26) comes in from her tent to use the TM toilet in the middle of the night it will not wake us up. That is good enough for me. I don't think you can achieve better than that in any RV.

mtnguy
10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
In my experience, the trick to getting the TM to not rock/roll/wiggle, is to chock the wheels very tightly. I set the front chocks on both wheels, and then use the TV to pull the TM tightly into the chocks. Then I set the rear chocks on both wheels as tightly as I can. Then I put the TV in neutral to let the TM settle into the center of the chocks. Then I disconnect.

Wayne, I am going to borrow your method next time camping. I usually just kick the chocks under the wheels.....but your system seems much better.

Chap

PopBeavers
10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Wayne, I am going to borrow your method next time camping. I usually just kick the chocks under the wheels.....but your system seems much better.
Chap
Be aware that you will be unable to kick the chocks out when it is time to leave, they will be that tight.

I hook up the TV and pull forward to relieve pressure on the rear chocks, remove rear chocks and then back up slightly to remove front chocks.

Use care so that the TV and TM do not move while removing the chocks and rolling the TM fore and then back.

After some thought, I have concluded that when it is desirable to use the TV to put a strain on to chocks, it is better to be pulling on the TM that it would be to be pushing on it.

I don't recommend this method for everyone, because it is annoying. However, it does remove the annoying stability problem. For anyone happy with the stability of the TM while in use, then don't waste your time following my method.

It works for me. DW, DD and DS aren't complaining.

mtnguy
10-05-2007, 02:17 PM
After some thought, I have concluded that when it is desirable to use the TV to put a strain on to chocks, it is better to be pulling on the TM that it would be to be pushing on it.

I agree....pulling forward puts strain on the ball housing, while pushing back puts the strain on the pawl.

Chap

Virginia Deacon
10-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Our TrailManor weighs nearly the same thing our popup camper did, but it's much easier to tow. One reason is we use a weight-distributing hitch with sway control, now. Another reason is the TrailManor's axle location.

Gas mileage is the same.

Happy camping!

Tuscany Bandit
10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree....pulling forward puts strain on the ball housing, while pushing back puts the strain on the pawl.

Chap

pawl:
a pivoted tongue or sliding bolt on one part of a machine that is adapted to fall into notches or interdental spaces on another part so as to permit motion in only one direction

larsdennert
10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
A hybrid looks like a traditional TT when in transit, but the beds fold down similar to a pop-up when ready to camp. The mattresses are stored in the TT, and the bed has to be made each time you set up.

Chap
Ah thanks. I've seen those. I could never figure out why they would go through all the trouble to have solid walls and then put a canvas tent bed in. You're just back to flapping canvas, less heat and sound insulation.

I go camping on the beach north of Santa Barbara, CA every year and there is a train track and CA hwy 101 less than 1/4mile away. In years past, the jake-brake trucks would make it tough to fall asleep and the train would wake me up when sleeping in a tent. This year we took the TM and I slept right through. My wife said she woke up briefly from the train but she sleeps really light.

Chuck C C
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
We had a problem with water and mud splashing into the TM and on to the back wall while towing in the rain. A quick trip to the dealer and a minor adjustment solved that problem with no reoccurance.

No swaying in tow, minimal reduction in gas mileage and easy setup/tear down are just some of the many things we enjoy with our TM.

We would buy another TM before buying any other TT I know of.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
10-05-2007, 05:08 PM
1. Don't the side wall and curtains get dirty and wet when towing in the rain? We never experienced any moisture or dirty curtains in all the years we owned our TM, and we covered lots of miles (over 16,000) in all kinds of weather. Didn't get the insides wet, either, setting up in torrential downpours... until I walked into the trailer sopping wet and dripped all over the floor as I took my wet clothes off!!!

2. The toilet seems like kind of a pain to dump, because the TM is closed if your not at a full service site. Does it dump as easy as the travel trailers? As stated by others, it is a simple process if you methodically think through what you're going to do while you close down. For us it was part of our "closing process."

3. We visited a camper dealer and they said they use to carry TM's, but had to many service problems with them being out of line. They said there is not enough support for the beds and they move side to side when used and that makes them out of alignment. Fact or Fiction? Fiction!!! This dealer "used to" carry TM's. There is a reason he no longer carries them, and it is most likely that TM pulled their product from him due to a negative attitude, or maybe worse... he wasn't providing the service they require.

We bought our unit from Dinuba RV when they were still in Dinuba, CA. It is a terrific company to do business with. Other owners in different parts of the nation know of all the good dealers for TM. Stick with their recommendations.

With respect to "what to buy." Only you know what best fits your needs. For us, after owning two different tent trailers for about 12 years, we wanted to get away from the "wet canvas syndrome." We sold our TM after 3 years of ownership because our physical needs changed. So, review what you need, and what you want, and go for it.

mkiley
10-06-2007, 03:53 PM
When I was researching travel trailers I stumbled into a couple posts about the pop-out beds of hybrids collapsing when the wood rotted. I might have been paranoid but I decided one of my criteria was no wood exposed to the outside. The TM beds are the metal underneath, and if that collapses with DW and me on it we probably need to hit the gym or something:)

Bill
10-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Always make sure the beds are "locked in" before using them. The beds swivel up for your emergency exit, and too much weight on the back side without locking in might land you on the ground below.You know, I've heard that story for years and years. And I just can't find any way to make it happen. I've lifted up the front edge of the bed - yes, it lifts, and that is the emergency exit. But the bottom of the bed is supported all the way to the far edge, and cannot drop.

Has anyone actually experienced this? Or is it urban legend?

I got so annoyed with the little red latch that I removed it. I will say, though, that it DOES have a function. But preventing you from falling out is not it.

Bill

Freedom
10-06-2007, 05:15 PM
The little red latch serves another function in that someone can't use your "emergency exit" as an entrance when you're not there. If I don't latch the two on the front bed and get too far forward the bed will lift up, but I've never allowed it to get so far that it dumps me out - I always grabbed something to keep it from going all the way. It does make your heart beat faster! I've never had that happen on the back bed, but I usually fasten the latch when I put up the bathroom walls. On the front bed, I don't think it's "urban legend", but I don't want to be the one to prove it one way or another!

Bill
10-06-2007, 07:09 PM
OK, Jim, you correctly identified (and revealed!) the secret function of the little red latch. And I admit I've never owned a TM with a front bed, so maybe it happens there. But I can't make it happen on the rear bed of a 2720SL.

Bill

mtnguy
10-07-2007, 12:37 PM
You know, I've heard that story for years and years. And I just can't find any way to make it happen. I've lifted up the front edge of the bed - yes, it lifts, and that is the emergency exit. But the bottom of the bed is supported all the way to the far edge, and cannot drop.

Has anyone actually experienced this? Or is it urban legend?

I got so annoyed with the little red latch that I removed it. I will say, though, that it DOES have a function. But preventing you from falling out is not it.

Bill

Bill, I hadn't heard about the bed tilt being an uban legend, but just by looking at it, it is a concern. I tend to be an overly cautious person.

So, out of curiosity, and not wanting to falsely contribute to a rumor, I just went out and opened up the TM. The bed swivel points on my 2003 model don't go all of the way to the back edge......they are about 15" from the edge......roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the total bed width, depending on the bed size. I then hooked my fingers over the bed trays (extended almost all of the way, except for finger width) from the outside, pulled down, and it definitely didn't take too much of my weight (190 lbs) to start either of those puppies to flip.

That said, I think an unhooked bed flipping you out would be rare occasion.....it has never happened to me, nor I have I ever read about it happening to anyone on this forum. And it sounds like the newer TMs like yours have taken the swivel points out to the edge. But I think it could still occur in an older TM if you rolled over to the back (or front) wall, and nobody else was in the bed with you. So for me, I use the hooks, and don't get on either bed before a double check to make sure they are engaged.

FYI, I was also concerned about those flimpsy poles holding the bed up in my previous pop-up.

Chap