PDA

View Full Version : What's happened?

Chris
09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Everyone,
It's been a rough week since Labor Day. We were hacked, and I've been fighting the hack for the week. We were one of a number of sites targeted by a group in a competition for the highest number of sites hacked. It included our home page as well as sub directories. They took over my hosting account and then proceeded to change and plant things into the website. I believe I have most all of it taken care of, but there may be more. I'm keeping close tabs on everything and doing frequent backups. The master passwords have been changed, but these guys are good, and that may not make a difference. There is no personal information at risk at this point as we don't store anything confidential on the system.

I'll keep you posted as this progresses. I think they got what they wanted, now they're moving on. I am starting an investigation into how they got in, and looking into if there is anything we can do to catch them.

Thanks for you patience.
Ct..

countrygirl
09-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks Chris...your awesome!

B_and_D
09-07-2007, 07:57 PM
When people do things like this it really makes me mad. We're all busy enough just trying to work, take care of our kids, maintain our homes (& TrailManors ;)) as well as the many other things that people need to do.

Chris, I really appreciate your efforts to get the board back up and running again. I was amazed that it was operational tonight.

Thanks.

D

Scott O
09-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Chris, we really appreciate your efforts in getting the site up and running in such a timely manner. This is an important place for many of us. Thank you very much.

Bill
09-07-2007, 08:47 PM
You got us back so fast? I was wondering if you would get us back AT ALL! Amazing work, Chris. Thanks!

Bill

Chris
09-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I was really glad that we had current backups, and that they didn't get any of the data, just the files. It's been a great learning experience for sure. This is one of those times where I was outgunned, and it wouldn't have mattered what I did, they were going to one up it - which they did. Their deleting of the directories was a final stroke. I was glad that I found the trace to the site where they were bragging about it, so I knew that it was a random hit, not a disgruntled ex member.
Let me know if you see anything that's not quite right (other than the main page), and I'll go fix it. I'm leaving the "hacked" page up to acknowledge the hit - which is what this is all about.

Remember my friends, this is something that I committed to 10 years ago that I still hold dear. Next year we get to celebrate 10 years in existence. I'm working on how we're going to have some fun!

Thanks
Ct..

rickst29
09-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Man of many traits. (nearly all good.)
Billions and Billions of pages Served.

My thanks again, Chris.

commodor47
09-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks Chris . . . we are indebted to your continued support and hard work in keeping this board up and running. Looking forward to celebrating 10 years of operation and service to our community!

jellis
09-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Chris,

One more vote of thanks for all you do for us. This forum is an example of the best that people can do to help each other.

Jon and Rita

camp2canoe
09-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Chris - Thanks from those of us in the Trail Blazers Charter Chapter! - Camp2Canoe

Northwoods
09-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you Chris. Novice that I am, I was blaming it on my inexpertise in all things electronic. Your work is much appreciated. Olga, Northwoods

Goodyear Travels
09-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you for your commitment and for serving so faithfully through the years. You're a part of our trailering moments, a part of our happy experiences. Gratefully yours, Eric & Holly

Allen1124
09-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Dittos. Excellent job. A great web-site with very valuable information.
We depend upon you. THANKS!

PopBeavers
09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Here it is Monday 9/10 and it still is not back. I found this page via a backdoor doing a google search for trailmanor hack.

The main web page says we have been hacked and all links are disabled.

2bcs1jrt
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
The home page doen't work but http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum does.

Cheri

Chris
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I am leaving the index page up for the time being. I will restore shortly.
Ct.

thanks for the other comments. :D

2bcs1jrt
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Even when I have nothing to ask and nothing to contribute, I just gotta check in and see what is going on on the forum. I feel a little moment of panic when it goes down. I wonder if dealers realize how much this site does to increase the understanding of the TrailManor for prospective buyers. When people ask me about my TM, I say go to the TM site for pictures but for real information, go to the forum.
Thanks, Chris for keeping it up and running for all of us.

Cheri

Catawbalea
09-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks for your hard work, Chris. My reaction when trying to access the site was that you were setting up a new address and trying to decide what would work. I tried many doors. The concern now is how many of us gave up and don't know we are back. In a while we will be back as I planned to give it a week or so and try again. We are hooked on this great forum.

NW Native
09-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you Chris for a job well done.:)

rangarr1
09-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Just heard that there was a way back into the site. Thank you Chris for all you do. This site is awesome!!

wmtire
09-26-2007, 12:52 AM
I am just now able to get back into the forums, after clearing my cookies. I am jealous of all the ones who knew how to find another way into the forums, because I have been suffering from information withdrawal.

It now makes sense how others were able to send me PM's during dates that I thought the website was still down.

Thanks Chris for taking care of us.

dlajoie
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Let me add my congratulations, kudos, and thanks to Chris for his exceptional dedication to all of us. BRAVO!!