PDA

View Full Version : Best Model Years For Used 2720SL? Years to Avoid?

briefcandle
08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum...so hello everyone!

Anyway, I am seriously considering purchasing either a new 2720SL, or a recently used one (2003+ because of the all metal frame) and I am looking for some advice.

There are a couple of concerns I have. I generally like to buy new things, as I am not very handy and appreciate the peace-of-mind that the warranty provides. But, I also know that sometimes new is not the best idea if, as with many things these days, the older models were just "made better". I saw this with a new Mercedes car I bought (and hated!). Too much new technology that wasn't ready for primetime...and a general cheapening of the brand by management that was too driven by cost cutting and the short-term bottom line. I owned these cars for years (loved the older ones) and am sick about what those bozos have done.

Any thoughts with respect to Trailmanor? Are the new ones the best yet? Are the older ones better? If I go used, any model years to seek out or to avoid?

TIA for any and all comments!

mtnguy
08-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Probably like most members on this forum, whatever year you own is the best year. :D

The things I like on my 2003 vs. some older models: The metal framework, round wheel wells, AC over the front shell instead of the back (changed in late 2003, I think). I do like idea of the side AC on some of the previous models, but it did take up some storage space. And there is a modification that you can do to round out the wheel wells.

The main thing that I like on my 2003 vs. some newer models: Sewer hose bumper storage.....I don't know why TM got rid of that.

Chap

Bill
08-08-2007, 06:20 PM
TM is a small company, and their products don't change dramatically from year to year. It is not like the complete redesign of the Ford Explorer from the 2001 model to the 2002 model - almost a different vehicle! With TMs, it is more like a slow steady evolution - and in fact, many improvements are introduced in mid-year. So there are no "good years" and "bad years". There will always be minor goofs, glitches, and gotchas, usually associated with production methods rather than engineering or design. But they are not endemic to any particular model or year. And they don't doom any particular model or year to the LEMON category.

As has been noted, there were a few giant leaps of evolution. The change from wood to metal framing in the shell comes to mind, but even that took place over a couple years. The change from square to round wheel wells was a big step and an important one, but hardly a giant leap since the retrofit of older units isn't hard. The change from side air conditioning to roof air conditioning was nice, but doesn't qualify (IMO) as even a "big step".

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Go for it! And when you have questions, come back to this board for answers.

Bill

briefcandle
08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks Bill, Leon and Chap! That was very helpful. Wish me luck?!

mtnguy
08-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks Bill, Leon and Chap! That was very helpful. Wish me luck?!

Good luck, and have fun with your search. We were going to drive 150 miles to a TM dealer just to look at them. Lo & behold, 1 came up for sale listed in the local bargain paper. Keep an eye on those, the newspaper, ebay, rvtraderonline.com, other RV internet sites, and especially this site, and something will come up that will fit the bill.

Chap