PDA

View Full Version : KOA Directory

jcjim4
07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Is the free directory worth the $6 shipping fee?

Joseph
07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I went ahead and got the directory for those times when I will not have access to the web. I have just used the KOA website to make a few reservations and prefer it to the directory. However the directory is not bad. Locations and data of each KOA by state in a form that I can take along. Works for me. :stretch:

CAmark
07-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Seems to me I have seen the directory free at some of the KOAs we have stayed in....maybe you can get to camp and save the $6 too....mark

Freedom
07-10-2007, 05:34 PM
We have always picked up our KOA directories at the campgrounds. I wouldn't pay $6 for a free directory!

Paul_Heuvelhorst
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Is the free directory worth the $6 shipping fee?
NO! However, if you plan to stay in KOAs it is worth having. They give them away at the kampgrounds. In Missouri there are KOAs in Branson, Hayti/Portageville, Joplin, Kansas City East, Lebanon, Perryville, Rock Port (we were there last month) St. Louis N.E./Granite City, St. Louis West, Springfield, and Stanton/Meramec.

Surely your travels should take you into one of these communities where you can pick one up in person.

shunter917
07-21-2007, 01:36 PM
The KOA campgrounds I have seen (which have been few and only in So. Calif) have pretty small spots. Nothing like having your neighbor sit in your lap! Because of that, we've never camped in one.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
07-21-2007, 08:03 PM
The KOA campgrounds I have seen (which have been few and only in So. Calif) have pretty small spots...
The ONLY KOA kampground in So. Calif. is located in the Pomona area, near the interchange of I-10, 57 & 210. It has 185 total spaces, 143 of which are 18'x 55' pull-thrus. This seems spacious enough for me. I probably wouldn't choose this park because of its proximity to the freeway traffic noise, but the amenities of the park are standard KOA quality, including free WiFi, clean restrooms & showers, swimming pool, etc. There is another KOA located in Chula Vista if you are going that far south. As a former So. Calif. resident for the first 36 years of my life, my definition of SoCal is limited to south of the Tehacipis and west of Redlands/San Bernardino.

We are currently sitting in the Belvidere West KOA in Midland, SD for the night. It is located over 1/2 mile north of I-90, is about 1/2 full on this weekend night, and it should be quiet. The weather has been very hot, 107 today, but our AC works very well. The proprietor runs a restaurant in the office building and serves breakfast and dinner, moderately priced.

I am not a KOA fan, as such. I think they are priced high for most of what they offer. This summer we decided to buy the KOA Value Kard, because we were beginning a 6000+ mile vacation. If you stay 20 nights with KOA you qualify for a 15% discount, rather than 10%, so I figured I had a chance to spend 20 nights with KOA over a 6 week period. We may make it, maybe not. However, we will qualify if we stay 20 nights in a 12 month period, and we've got a good start on that. 15% will put their prices into the category of a Good Sam park offering a 10% discount.

Enough of my ramblings. Just some additional food for thought.

kisove
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Avoid the KOA in Brookville Ohio near Dayton, Ohio.
We've stayed there before and called to ask if we could pull into a site for 30 minutes to show folks purchasing our TM that everything works. The manager said they did not have a single space to help us out. We offered full nights rent. And she said no.

2 minutes later, my husband called back and asked if there were any sites available for the night and he was told they had LOTS of available spots. So we reserved a site, paid and extra $5 for our "visitor" and left after we transferred to camper.

How UNFRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!