PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, MO

chifive0
06-27-2007, 11:38 PM
We are heading to the Springfield, MO area and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for campsites in the area. Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Springfield MO or Branson? Thanks! We will be travelling with our two youngest, ages 6 and 4.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
06-28-2007, 07:03 PM
We are heading to the Springfield, MO area and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for campsites in the area. Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Springfield MO or Branson? Thanks! We will be travelling with our two youngest, ages 6 and 4.
We are currently in America's Best Campground (ABC) in Branson. If you are a Veteran or a Good Sam member, and pay with cash or personal check, they give you 15% off their rates (10% if credit card). We have full hookups and paid $26.35 (incl. tax) per night. We'll be here until 7/2.

It has lots of amenities for kids, and is located remotely to avoid traffic noise. We love the relaxing surroundings and shady sites. WiFi is included at no extra cost.

KOA's are good, too. We have stayed in many of them on this trip and will continue to do so. My only "complaint" is that many of them are located next to main highways, so there can be traffic noise to deal with all night long.

If Branson is within your travel plans, I recommend ABC.

coulter
06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
We highly recommend Compton Ridge Campground west of Branson, http://www.comptonridge.com/

It is a great spot, paved, fully shaded, two swimming pools, a playground, tennis court, game room, laundry, internet, cable, very clean bathhouses, etc. It's close to Branson, but not right in town, is about a mile from Silver Dollar City if you are interested in that. We camp there at least a couple times a year, after trying some other area campgrounds.

I believe this is where the trailblazer group is having their national rally in 2009 so they must think it's a good one :)

If you are traveling from Springfield to Branson, you might want an alternative route other than 65 which has some quite steep inclines. Just let me know if you are interested.

chifive0
06-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the information--We were trying to stay a little closer to Miller, MO, where our son will be at baseball camp, but the Branson campgrounds look so much nicer than the KOA, so we may have to rethink our plans.

tripleM
02-04-2008, 07:02 PM
We are new to camping in the Springfield area and have been told by local RVers that if we want to camp in the state parks and COE campgrounds during the summer, we need to book reservations now. (We used to camp in the national forests in Colorado and didn't have to plan!) Can anyone fill me in on whether or not this has been your experience? (Roaring River, Stockton Lake, Table Rock Lake.) Also, can anyone recommend areas in the National Forests in Southwest MO for boondocking? Many thanks! (We just bought our 2619 TM a month ago.)

coulter
02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
It depends on the park, some are more popular than others, Roaring River, and Bennett Springs are both in HIGH demand and require reservations far in advance especially for weekends and holidays. Stockton and Table Rock Lake are less busy. If you are looking for an out of the way place Pomme de Terre is a good place and probably the easiest to get reservations in this area. The Lake of the Ozarks state park is fabulous, and although busy it's not impossible to get reservations there just a few weeks ahead.

I can't help with the boon-docking question because I go to Colorado to do that :) We live about 10 miles from Stockton Lake, and it's a really nice lake.. the Crab tree Cove COE campground just east of Stockton is really a nice spot.