PDA

View Full Version : camping in amarillo, tx and denver, co

greaves
06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Hello again, I am trying to get our trip to mt rushmoor and yellowstone map out. it looks like from houston to Amarillo would be a good days drive. Then to Denver for the 2nd leg of the trip and finally to Mr Rushmore or Yellowstone (Working on reservations!). Can anybody recommend where around Amaillow and Denver for good camping or even something to go see and do for a day or so.

Again, thanks for all the info on Mt Rushmore. I did not know were to begin
06 2619 w/ honda pilot

grakin
06-10-2007, 04:26 PM
For Denver, try http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/CherryCreek/ (Cherry Creek State Park) which is really right in the middle of Denver or http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/Chatfield/ (Chatfield State Park - great for people needing to be in West Denver). Both would definitely need reservations for a summer weekend. I know Cherry Creek, and I think Chatfield, have full hookup sites if you want them.

If you're "Denver Area" is a bit wider, you might find one of the State parks or National Parks/Forests in the area you're willing to go and stay in one of those campgrounds.

The two parks I mentioned are definitely "party" areas, although the full hookup area at Cherry Creek is much quieter than the tenting/"primative" areas, so it might be worth full hookups if you're a quiet person, even if you don't plan on needing the hookups. I didn't have any problem at either during weekends, but YMMV.

I'll warn you that there is a pretty good hill to climb between NM and CO on I-25. If you don't like good hills, you might look at coming up through OK, although that would probably make it a two day drive between TX and CO. Otherwise just plan on taking it easy. You'll be glad you have a TM when you see some of the other brands struggling up the hill.

wbmiller3
06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Caprock Canyons State Park is fairly near Amarillo and is spectacular. The outdoor drama "Texas" that is put on in the park is pretty good too!

greaves
06-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Joel: I assume you mean by big hill - mountain? How bad is it - I am really about this. What about taking 385/287 to 70 from amarillo to denver - would that be an easier drive?

Also, Bill is "texas" a play and where do I find out info.

Thanks for all your help

grakin
06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, I was talking about Raton Pass. It's not anything like the passes on I-70, but it is significant - about 1800 foot gain in elevation in 13 miles. Just drive it cautiously, keep your RPMs up, and watch your brakes (best method to slow down, if engine braking isn't enough, is to let the combination accelerate a bit, then use the brakes to slow down about 10 MPH, let it accelerate again, etc - you'll see that's how the truckers do it).

I'm not sure about 287, never driven that route.

Also, lots of construction right now on I-25 through Colorado Springs - expect some delays there.

As others posted out, it's quite a drive from Amarillo to Denver - it is doable, I've done it (without the TM), but I would add that I'm used to altitude (lack of oxygen will make you more apt to get tired) - living at 7200 feet changes your blood (really).

I find I-25 along the front range to be a really amazing drive - you might also check out Rocky Mountain National Park, north of Denver, if you have time - it has some amazing scenery.

wbmiller3
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Woops, Texas Camper is right, the play is in Palo Duro Canyon State Park, not Caprock as I incorrectly stated. But, Palo Duro is the one near Amarillo.

And yes, "Texas" is an outdoor drama that is put on in an amphitheater in the park. Here are some links with info about the park and the drama.

http://www.palodurocanyon.com/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/palo_duro/

lnussbau
06-11-2007, 06:09 PM
There are many things to do or see in north central Colorado -- just stop in any of the "tourist info" places in the area to find more than you'll know what to do with. However several things come to mind around Colorado Springs (60 miles or so south of Denver): Seven Falls, Garden Of The Gods, Pikes Peak, either via the Cog Railway or driving up. Near Estes Park, an hour to hour and a half drive northwest from Denver, you have Rocky Mountain National Park, including the highest continuous highway in the U.S., peaking out at over 11,000 feet, and a beautiful area -- many lakes, lots of scenery, even an RV campground. Even just the drive to Estes Park is beautiful, my preferred route going through Boulder and up Boulder Canyon to Nederland, then north past Ward, on State hwy 72, then turning towards Allenspark on State Hwy 7 to Estes Park.

Leaving Estes, I like to take U.S. 36 through Lyons then back to Boulder and eventually to I-25. Or sometimes I prefer to leave Estes on U.S. 34 through the Big Thompson Canyon through Loveland to I-25, or even take some of the county roads south from Loveland (farm/ranch country).

I see I haven't mentioned Georgetown or Cripple Creek or any number of other things around the area.