PDA

View Full Version : Solar For Ac?

2bcs1jrt
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Is there any chance that a solar panal would have enough power to run the AC?
Cheri

rickst29
06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
When Solar panels are doing really well in the middle of the day, they put out the rated wattage as DC voltage/current. I can't imagine configuring a TM with enough panels to do any more than 240 watts, most Solar installations are between 80 and 200 watts. (Remember, that's the MAX, most of the day is less power).

Now the A/C which they put up there takes 14 Amps at 120 Volts = 1680 watts. Absolutely NO WAY to drive this with even 1000 watts of Solar, which can't be mounted on any TM. (It would need way to much panel area). If you got a high-efficiency model at 9 Amps, you're still over 1000 watts. On top of the fundamental "not enough power" problem, Solar panels and batteries do DC (Direct Current), the Air Conditioner requires A/C (Alternating Current, as in wall plugins). You'd loose a lot of power in doing the conversion.

You'll need a generator, for sure. But there are some pretty nice ones to "match" TM boondocking use-- search the forum for tips, I don't own one. ;)

2bcs1jrt
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM
OK. What about a swampy AC with solar. Still too much?

rickst29
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
they only need 4-10 amps (12V DC, NOT 120V AC) at "low" or "medium" power. That's only 50-120 watts, an easy load while the solar panels are collecting. But they generate humidity, you'll need to have the TM windows open, I'm not sure how much (while the Swampy blows right at your spot for cooling) to avoid big condensation problems. This lets in heat, and lets out some of the 'cold' which you're making with the device. If you want it for sleeping at night, the all the power comes from your battery bank, you'll probably need to add a battery or two.

And of course, the outside air can't be too humid. I've never used one, this is just what I've heard about em.

2bcs1jrt
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks. My thought was for during the day. We compete with our dogs in Agility. We like to keep them in the trailer between runs. This last weekend, we were in 90 degree heat without power. We had the fantastic fan going but it got pretty stuffy at the peak of the heat. It wasnt horrible but it wasn't great either. Id just love to find an option for cooling without shore power.
Cheri

PopBeavers
06-04-2007, 09:01 PM
A swamp cooler likely won't work well in Petaluma, but would work rather well in Sacramento. Has to do with relative humidity.

2bcs1jrt
06-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, I actually have never camped in Petaluma. I do, however camp often in Sacramento and other parts of the Central Valley.
I don't think I'd have a problem in Petaluma weather if I were to camp here. But if there is a dog show here I'm only 10 min away so camping isn't necessary.
Sounds like Im not missing anyone's secret weapon. Too bad.
Cheri

Doug W.
06-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Keep in mind that a swamp cooler needs water. You will have to plan for that if you have no hookups.

Bill
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I think Rick has the right answer. If the ambient air has low humidity, then a swampy can provide cool, but HUMID air. If you trap the cool humid air in a small space (such as the inside of a TM), then the humidity in that space rapidly rises to a VERY high level, and condensation begins. In addition, a swampy can't continue to cool if the air is already wet.

I think you are right - in the absence of hookup power, ventilation of the TM (and SHADE!) is the best you can expect, short of adding some elaborate air-to-air heat exchanger.

Bill

2bcs1jrt
06-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I was worth a try. But some interesting fans are being suggested in the "tips and tricks" section that might help out.
Thanks,
Cheri