PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart

TomEve
09-11-2002, 06:46 PM
Has any one camped overnight at Wal-marts. Some allow over night camping as long as chairs =, BarBQs, etc. are not set out. Some Web sites state that they do not like pop up trailers. I am assuming they are talking about tent trailers.

TomEve

09-16-2002, 10:58 AM
    Yes, I  have "camped" at Wal-Marts all across the lower 48 and Alaska and some in Canada. We have never been questioned or asked to move. A very few are posted "No Overnight Parking" so we just move on when we see that.
     The Wal-Mart in Whitehose, Yukon, Canada must have had at least 300 campers there when we stopped there this summer. It is the most scenic Wal-Mart I have seen as it overlooks the Yukon River.
    We usually arrive late and leave early when "camping" at Wal-Mart but I see RV's at our local Wal-Mart in Albuquerque all the time.
Doug

09-17-2002, 03:34 AM
I have never stayed at a wal-mart before, but it seems to me that I would end up spending much more money shopping then I would on an actuall camp site.

Dave

PAUL_R
09-17-2002, 06:20 AM
in the october issues of trailer life is an interesting letter in the mail box section regarding wal-mart parking. we have not done it yet, would consider if it was an emergency or unable to get to our camp site before dark. but i would surely not CAMP OUT.

efelker
05-14-2003, 12:30 AM
New to this site & was reading some old postings.

In the East & Southeast Cracker Barrel Restaurants also allow over nighters.  They are always along the Interstate, and nothing beats their eggs, home fries, fried apples & coffee in the morning.

bbeckham
06-27-2003, 04:30 PM
I really appreciate the Wal-Mart & Cracker Barrel RV camping postings. We have been curious onlookers.

When one uses these places as overnight stop overs, where do you tipically get fresh water for your holding tank and where do you dump your grey and black water tanks? I've noticed that TX rest stops tend to have trailer dumps (free)

Do you plan your trips based on Wal-Mart or Cracker Barrel stop overs or just "wing it"?

efelker
06-28-2003, 05:20 AM
You'd have to have planned this with fresh water already in thetank.  You'd also have to do the"Navy shower" to be sure you didn't also have a full gray tank.  You'll have to dump it at  the site where you are goingto set up or somewhere along the way.  The WalMart/Cracker Barrel is just a convenient over night until you get to where you were heading.