PDA

View Full Version : Combo Microwave-Convection Oven

Bob&Karen
05-24-2007, 06:39 AM
What can anyone tell me about these? We recently had our TM stolen, and are looking to replace ASAP. The closest dealer to us has two 3124s on the lot but both have the combo oven.

I understand that this type of oven can't be used when dry camping (which we don't do very often and when we do, we cook on a grill).

So, what are the positives and negatives to this particular type of oven? Do they work well?

Thanks,

Bob

BobRederick
05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
B&K,
My girlfriend (whoops! Bonnie is my fiancee now) has 2 convection ovens at home, one built in and one that looks like a standard microwave oven. She is a travel nurse currently working at the hospital in Susanville, Ca. I moved my TM here and have it set up near the lodge where she is staying. She works 12 hr shifts and stops by for dinner as there are no cooking facilities at her lodging. Convection ovens are awesome to cook in and she wants one in my TM. I put a small microwave in my TM. For dry camping, I have the Honda EU2000i generator which does very well on the oven. I selected the microwave to be low in power and light in weight as it needs to be moved from the couch to the microwave shelf when I set up. It actually seems to cook as well as a full sized oven. With this combo, we still have the gas oven to use whenever that is appropriate. I am learning to cook (my deceased wife did all of the cooking before) and have only used the gas oven for toasting so far. Since you lost your TM and it didn't have microwave, did you use the gas oven?

I hope this helps.

Bob&Karen
05-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Bob...

We did have a small microwave that we bought and carried in the cabinet underneath where the microwave drawer sits - we would put it on the counter when setting up. We did use the propane oven to bake casseroles and such at times when camping (mostly the everything-included-in-the-box Homestyle Bakes).

I guess what I'm asking is for opinions on looking for a new TM with a propane oven or looking for one with the combo oven in place of the gas oven.

Thanks again,

Bob

Doug W.
05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
The used 2005 3124KS I found a good deal on had the built-in microwave/electric oven in place of the gas oven, so I did not have a choice like you. We plan on doing some dry camping and I would like to have the gas oven then. I guess I will have to get by with my trusty old dutch oven from my Scouting days when dry camping. It is really nice to not to have to carry a microwave. It is pretty easy to change from microwave to electric oven. I wish it was a little larger, but I believe the gas oven is not actually that large either. The normal 3.5 oz size microwave popcorns fits, but it will not turn in it. We just get the 2.5 oz size. We have used the microwave quite a few times and it works fine. I have used the electric oven a couple times. It works fine also. For me and the wife, it is fine, but I would hate to try and use the electric oven for to many additional people. I could bake a large casserole in my trusty old dutch oven if needed I guess.

2blueranger
05-24-2007, 08:21 PM
If you're not planning on doing a lot of dry camping, I wouldn't let the combo microwave keep me from buying a 3124. We've owned ours for 2 years now and just use it as a microwave. We might someday bake biscuits or what ever. You'll love the storage and room of the 3124.

countrygirl
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I rescently received a 100.00 gift card at Target. I needed a new Microwave...mine worked but you could not read the clock, timer etc. I put 30.00 with the gift card and bought a nice Oster microwave/convection oven...came home and bake a peach pie...turned out great. Next I baked a poppy seed cake...tasted great looked done the middle was half way done. Mine can with some directions and tips...8 thin pages in the manual... I emailed Oster to see if they had a cookbook available and they said no...experiment. ;) So that is what I will do for awhile. I once helped in the school cafeteria here and they could bake 6 trays of cookies at one time...mine however has a turn table and no racks.

Do the ones in the Tms have racks???

BTW...my sis in law has had convection ovens for years in two different motor homes and loves them.

I find it a lil spooky when the fan runs to cool it off after you stop cooking. I am getting used to it though. You can bake or cook in it...with no real heat which would seem to be a bonus in a camper.

Mine is suppose to bake, broil, roast, defost and microwave,

2blueranger
05-25-2007, 03:35 AM
They have no racks, but do come with a manual. We've just never taken the time to read it. I'm sure you can make some yummy dishes.

Bob&Karen
05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
You'll love the storage and room of the 3124.

Yeah, I know - we had a 2006 model that was stolen recently. Looking on various lots at various dealers on the internet, most of the "in-stock" models have the microwave in place of the gas oven model. I don't really want to wait to order one from the factory (I'm impatient) as we've waited all winter to start camping again. As soon as the insurance company ponies up, I want the TM replaced. Just don't want to get a cooking appliance that we may not like...

Thanks,

Bob

jcjim4
07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
have a 2720SL on order, but had no option for the convection/micro oven.The only choice was gas or microwave. I am a convection/micro fan!

wbmiller3
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
The gas oven is our least used feature in the camper. I would love to have this combo oven instead. We end up carrying a small microwave. We've used the oven two or three times, camping 30+ nights a year in the TM for the last six years.

ameridan
07-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I've got a brand new combo stove/oven [LP Gas Range and Slide-in 3-burner Cooktop] in our 2619 that I will gladly trade for the microwave combo version! It was new in 1999 and has never been used. Saved 50 pounds taking off both propane tanks; that's the weight of 7 gallons of water.